Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The state of Canadian politics.

The state of Canadian politics.

Old Oct 28th 2019, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of Canadian politics.

One thing I learned living out that way, the good religious folk will help those they deem in need of help, mostly middle class and above white folk going to the same church.

The office where my wife worked in Chilliwack basically pushed her out via creating a bad work environment because my wife wasn't religious enough and not willing to attend their church. That sort of thing is common out there.

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Yeah, Langley has a fair bit of that as well. It seems like conservative politics are closely linked to churches, of which there are many out in the Fraser Valley bible belt. I guess because religion likes to paint things as bad and white, good and evil, just as many conservative politicians do, coupled with the fact churches continue to fight to avoid paying any taxes.

I read an interesting story recently about how a class of 11-12 year old kids at a private school in Aldergrove held a mock election. The entire class except one voted conservative, with many of the kids referencing money being given to the undeserving or lazy, values that had been baked into them. All the kids come from privaledged christian families. There's a lot of misconception that young conservatives don't exist, but entire generations of them are being raised as we speak.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 7:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One thing I learned living out that way, the good religious folk will help those they deem in need of help, mostly middle class and above white folk going to the same church.

The office where my wife worked in Chilliwack basically pushed her out via creating a bad work environment because my wife wasn't religious enough and not willing to attend their church. That sort of thing is common out there.
It's been like that for 2000 years.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just more common in some areas vs other's.

Originally Posted by Shard
It's been like that for 2000 years.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's just more common in some areas vs other's.
I was just reading if you're ever a California resident, you're liable for state taxes for life !!
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

If California can prove certain ties to California you can be, you can be liable for California taxes even if you have never lived in California but have certain ties to California.

Originally Posted by Shard
I was just reading if you're ever a California resident, you're liable for state taxes for life !!
Old Oct 28th 2019, 10:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If California can prove certain ties to California you can be, you can be liable for California taxes even if you have never lived in California but have certain ties to California.
I have Hotel California and a few Beach Boys records. Does that count as certain ties?
Old Oct 28th 2019, 10:31 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have Hotel California and a few Beach Boys records. Does that count as certain ties?
Be careful, it might.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...ou-livereally/
Old Oct 28th 2019, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Franchise Tax Board of California is like the IRS on steroids..
Old Oct 28th 2019, 10:41 pm
Yo

Franchise Tax Board of California is like the IRS on steroids..
That's pretty much what the Forbes article said.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Scheer could have won if he'd just abandoned some of his bizarre prejudices; his hang ups about same sex marriage and taxing carbon make him a relic.
Don't you think those are extremely shallow bases upon which to vote or withhold a vote for a party? The carbon tax, for example, is a nonsense... the entire economic system requires an overhaul on a global scale in order to better look after our fragile planet. Think about out... in stead of two jags Prescott, we had two jets Trudeau, but they bought carbon offsets??? That says to me that if you have money you can pollute all you like as you can buy carbon offsets. What if you are skint? I just can't comprehend how anybody voted for Trudeau because on every self defined metric he is a hypocritical failure.

As for same sex marriage, was Scheer not clear that he wasn't gonna try and change that? Do LQBTQ people not need good jobs, safety and security, decent infrastructure and health services, and, if they have kids, decent standards of education? I am not saying Scheer offered tha,t but let us say he had a fantastic platform for all of that, and a good climate / green proposal... but personally opposed same-sex marriage. On that one issue, does that disqualify him from a vote?
Old Nov 1st 2019, 10:05 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Don't I am not saying Scheer offered tha,t but let us say he had a fantastic platform for all of that, and a good climate / green proposal... but personally opposed same-sex marriage. On that one issue, does that disqualify him from a vote?
I think it does in 2019, at least it does for a potential PM. It's a signalling problem, if he's not self aware enough to accept it, then what other dated notions does he have?
Old Nov 1st 2019, 11:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not saying Scheer offered tha,t but let us say he had a fantastic platform for all of that, and a good climate / green proposal... but personally opposed same-sex marriage. On that one issue, does that disqualify him from a vote?
Yes. If the Conservatives want to be elected they can't endorse opposition to same-sex marriage,. They can't support slavery. They can't expand apartheid. Those ships have sailed. It's no good saying "I personally wouldn't employ a woman/allow same sex couples to marry/share a bus with a Muslim but I'll adhere to the laws because I'm a hypocritical type of person". Scheer tried to suggest he was a fit person to make laws!
Old Nov 1st 2019, 1:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think those are extremely shallow bases upon which to vote or withhold a vote for a party? The carbon tax, for example, is a nonsense... the entire economic system requires an overhaul on a global scale in order to better look after our fragile planet. Think about out... in stead of two jags Prescott, we had two jets Trudeau, but they bought carbon offsets??? That says to me that if you have money you can pollute all you like as you can buy carbon offsets. What if you are skint? I just can't comprehend how anybody voted for Trudeau because on every self defined metric he is a hypocritical failure.

As for same sex marriage, was Scheer not clear that he wasn't gonna try and change that? Do LQBTQ people not need good jobs, safety and security, decent infrastructure and health services, and, if they have kids, decent standards of education? I am not saying Scheer offered tha,t but let us say he had a fantastic platform for all of that, and a good climate / green proposal... but personally opposed same-sex marriage. On that one issue, does that disqualify him from a vote?
As the previous two posters have already suggested, the answer to your last question is a resounding "yes." It disqualifies him personally from being considered a serious contender to head a government, and therefore by extension it disqualifies the party who voted him as leader from forming that government.

Of course, it helps that his party fails all your other tests too. Decent infrastructure, decent standards of education, decent health services? Those all require paying for, and setting out an agenda which includes tax cuts for the already-well-off doesn't provide the funding for any of those things that society (as a whole, not just LGBTQ people) need. And he not only didn't present a "good climate / green proposal," he didn't even present a bad one. Did you read the extraordinarily bland platform outline touted on the Conservative website and presented at https://arealplan.ca ? It's so full of hot air it makes its own significant contribution to greenhouse gas emissions.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Elizabeth May has stepped down as leader of the Green Party.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50296155
Old Nov 4th 2019, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Elizabeth May has stepped down as leader of the Green Party.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50296155
Perhaps she was introduced to that quote by Albert Einstein.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.