Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The state of Canadian politics.

The state of Canadian politics.

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default The state of Canadian politics.

So in about 9 months, we are due to have the next General Election.

Choice 1 re-elect the Liberals and at the moment the very photogenic, nice hair, fashionista cool sock wearing, and trust fund baby leader Justin Trudeau.

Choice 2 elect the new PC leader I'm not Stephen Harper Mk 2, former insurance broker and waiter and a regular family guy Andrew Scheer.

Choice 3 elect the newly appointed I had to move to BC to win a seat, visible minority who practised criminal law, who also wears nice clothes Jagmeet Singh of the NDP

Choice 4 if you consider it a choice, the environmentalist, activist, likes to drink and swear at parties and also a lawyer Elizabeth May of the Green Party.

So who do you vote for and yes I know you vote for the MP in your riding who belongs to a party that chooses the leader.

After watching the anticipated partial testimony of the former AG/Minister of Justice I was somewhat shocked at the details that came out. Surprised No but shocked that you actually had someone within the ruling party give a detailed account of her dealings with the SNC Lavalin saga. I must say I found her to be a very well prepared, articulate, composed witness and IMHO very believable compared to say that of Michael Wernick the non-partisan clerk of the Privy Council of Canada aka the top public servant. What I heard just reinforced my beliefs that once any person gets into a position of power they can easily overstep their boundaries.

I think this comment given by another poster to a newspaper comment section sums up the way he feels contracts in Government affairs are conducted

The contract to repair a fence is let for tender by a Government (Federal/Provincial)
A Vancouver contractor takes out a tape measure and says, "I figure the job will run about $9,000. That's $4,000 for materials, $4,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me." The Winnipeg contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $7,000. That's $3,000 for materials, $3,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me.
" The Montreal contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the government official and whispers, "$27,000." The official, incredulous, says, "You didn't measure like the other guys. How did you come up with such a high figure?”"The Montreal contractor whispers back, "$10,000 for me, $10,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Winnipeg to repair the fence. "Done!" replies the government official.

Perhaps there is now voter apathy and why some choose not to vote or spoil ballots as they are all as bent as each other and tarnish the good ones who do actually do some good work.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 11:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of Canadian politics.

There is a long way to go yet, we may end up with our first indigenous female PM yet
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
There is a long way to go yet, we may end up with our first indigenous female PM yet
Hmmm, that's what I have been pondering too.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 7:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not Schemer with his far right friends.

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

A plague on all of their houses........shower of self serving scrotes.....well, the vast majority of them.....🤨
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 8:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The perfect leaders are few and far between, and even they have trouble. All we can do is vote and hope that we get the government we deserve.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
A plague on all of their houses........shower of self serving scrotes.....well, the vast majority of them.....🤨
I tend to agree. I deal with politicians at the local level in my job and find many of them self-serving and many of them talk a good talk but they are like kids in a candy store in terms of spending other people's money.

This was a tweet from a newly elected Councillor in Ottawa

'If the timing stays as is, in one week’s time Ottawa could be approving over $8 Billion of spending in one single day'.

$8 billion in one day. He's giddy with excitement.

This is the same councillor who wanted to deny an applicant who wanted to sit on an advisory committee for transportation as that applicant is not a supporter of abortion and has questioned climate change.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ysis-1.4999526

And you wonder why people tune out of local politics and politics in general.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Not really paying attention to this.

Them Albertan's are never happy even when they are making money so just ignore 'em.

If this is as bad as it gets in Canada then Canada is in a good place.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
This is the same councillor who wanted to deny an applicant who wanted to sit on an advisory committee for transportation as that applicant is not a supporter of abortion and has questioned climate change.
It doesn't sound as if the applicant is bright enough to work a bus so I think I'd side with the councilor.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It doesn't sound as if the applicant is bright enough to work a bus so I think I'd side with the councilor.
Same could be said of many of our Government Ministers....Ralph Goodall.....what a joke! Professional nodding dog...😎
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:10 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Definitely not Schemer with his far right friends.
Yep. He'd be more suited to south of the border, but I thought that of harper too.

And I don't think we're ready for a brown PM let alone one in a turban, so is there any choice from Trudeau? The conservatives would have done exactly the same over SNC-L and I'm not sure the NDP would have done any different either.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Exactly what I thought.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Same could be said of many of our Government Ministers....Ralph Goodall.....what a joke! Professional nodding dog...😎
Goodale, get his name right at least. He's a very smart man, and very experienced, and he's honest (I just called a lawyer honest, write that down), which is why he's always been popular with farmers, but he should be finance minister instead of public safety.
While I have often maintained "No Liberals West of Winnipeg, and No Rats in Alberta", he's a good one.

Last edited by caretaker; Mar 4th 2019 at 8:29 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
Goodale, get his name right at least. He's a very smart man, and very experienced, and he's honest (I just called a lawyer honest, write that down), which is why he's always been popular with farmers, but he should be finance minister instead of public safety.
While I have often maintained "No Liberals West of Winnipeg, and No Rats in Alberta", he's a good one.
As for the spelling, my bad .....as for your opinion, a bit like something else we all have.....
Old Mar 4th 2019, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it too early to post the you tube video of the famous Queen song titled "Another One Bites The Dust" although I think she resigned for honourable reasons as opposed to being involved in this particular scandal.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 10:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

If Butts was going to try to do damage control when he has his say on Wednesday, Philpott's resignation probably makes it a lot harder. Trudeau is bleeding some support at the local level as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.