British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Spring...what the hell?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/spring-what-hell-911730/)

Gozit Apr 15th 2018 8:58 pm

Spring...what the hell??

Yes, this is a rant thread. It's the 15th of April and there is freezing rain, multiple power outages and just general awfulness... am I or am I not going crazy??

dave_j Apr 15th 2018 9:27 pm

Re: Spring...what the hell??

Yep.. you're going crazy..

scilly Apr 15th 2018 9:30 pm

If you are, the rest of the country is going crazy with you!

There's weird weather all over ........ there is still snow falling on high ground in BC, and driving warnings for all the mountain passes.

30 forest fire fighters, usually employed only for the summer, have been called in to work NOW to help with flood prevention practices in the Okanagan and elsewhere. They will also be used in flood relief and rescue. Several of those interior ranges have got 162% of the normal snow pack, and there could be massive flooding PLUS major land slips as this is all occurring in the area of the last year's major forest fires.

April 1st is usually the date on which winter tires are no longer required ............ next year the authorities are going to extend the period to May 1st

dbd33 Apr 15th 2018 9:47 pm

When living in a four season climate, one should embrace the winter. Remember, there is no bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.

macadian Apr 15th 2018 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12482241)
When living in a four season climate, one should embrace the winter. Remember, there is no bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.

That, and an unreasonable perception of what's considered 'normal', be it the weather or whatever....:)

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2018 10:49 pm

I think yesterday and today have been the worst days of the winter...bearing in mind I was away Nov/Dec/Jan.

Gozit Apr 15th 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12482234)
If you are, the rest of the country is going crazy with you!

There's weird weather all over ........ there is still snow falling on high ground in BC, and driving warnings for all the mountain passes.

30 forest fire fighters, usually employed only for the summer, have been called in to work NOW to help with flood prevention practices in the Okanagan and elsewhere. They will also be used in flood relief and rescue. Several of those interior ranges have got 162% of the normal snow pack, and there could be massive flooding PLUS major land slips as this is all occurring in the area of the last year's major forest fires.

April 1st is usually the date on which winter tires are no longer required ............ next year the authorities are going to extend the period to May 1st

Wow, that's crazy. I know there's a couple BE posters out in the Okanagan, hopefully they are all ok.

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12482241)

But...but...spring started almost a month ago ;)

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 12482244)
That, and an unreasonable perception of what's considered 'normal', be it the weather or whatever....:)

:nod:

Gozit Apr 15th 2018 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12482256)
I think yesterday and today have been the worst days of the winter...bearing in mind I was away Nov/Dec/Jan.

Ooh then you missed out on some of the worse stuff. I would agree though, this is pretty bad.

Jerseygirl Apr 15th 2018 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12482262)
Ooh then you missed out on some of the worse stuff. I would agree though, this is pretty bad.

It has been fun watching the fire boat trying to secure a small boat that had gone adrift on the lake.

Piff Poff Apr 16th 2018 12:01 am

We've got a high of plus one and snow forecast for tomorrow. We had lots of snow on Friday too. Fed up with it now.

bats Apr 16th 2018 12:12 am

We were promised Icemaggedon but it didn't get warm enough for much freezing rain so we have drifts of ice pellets.
We've treated the weekend as enforced rest and ignored all the inside work we could be doing so it has been quite relaxing really, apart from chasing dog poop. I'm actually a little disappointed in the lack of weather drama though.

bats Apr 16th 2018 12:14 am

The lights are flickering though.

dbd33 Apr 16th 2018 12:41 am

My horse didn't care for the banging, slamming, arena door that was spitting ice pellets at him. "Canter right past door" was my plan "left, without rider" was his preferred approach.

Siouxie Apr 16th 2018 1:55 am

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...LYWoqGqil8fqHs

Piff Poff Apr 16th 2018 2:29 am

Seems ours has turned into a weather warning, 10-20cms poo bums.

It is however quite entertaining watching two chows marooned on a piece of frozen ground amongst snow melt trying to figure out how to achieve forward motion without getting wet paws. The look on their faces when they surrender to a puddle that is deeper than anticipated is priceless. Lol