Soup

Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soup

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is the last bit essential?
The blending? I use a stick blender for this type of soup. Of course it's not necessary but when you get to that point you'll be able to figure out for yourself if the texture is palatable without blending.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
All canned tomato soup is utterly vile
Heinz tomato soup is a medicine cupboard staple - it's the ultimate hangover cure.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 2:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Gearing up for some tests so tomorrow I'll be making turkey soup with the carrots and broccoli, celery and plum tomatoes from the veggie platter, then pouring it through a strainer and discarding all the solids, and then drinking the broth. Mmmmmmmmm.
Wishing you 2 things.
Good test results.
A bloody good meal afterwards.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 3:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've just Googled it - yes, a bit far to travel for a bowl of soup
It's also a company that makes soup as well as a place, lol.
Home - Aylmer Soup - Your Secret Ingredient
Old Oct 9th 2018, 3:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Leek & potato is a particular favourite of mine. But we make all sorts of soups in my household, whenever we have a joint of meat or a roast bird of any sort there's usually a stock pot on the go afterwards. Most of this weekend's turkey stock (except the bit that went straight into a "leftovers soup") is in the freezer already.

Stilton is a bit of a challenge as I'm the only one in the family that likes it, but if I sneak some into a soup for added umami the chances are nobody will complain if I don't tell them!

Other staples are carrot & ginger or carrot & coriander (can't bring myself to call it cilantro), chicken & noodles, dal of any kind, squash soups (there'll be butternut squash soup for supper one evening this week, probably) and of course a good warming pea & ham. I also like a good seafood chowder, but haven't tried making that from scratch. Closest I've got is a really delicious recipe for mussels in a creamy saffron sauce that isn't really a proper soup but is sooooo good.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 5:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I'm with Siouxie. When the world gets me down Heinz Cream of Tomato sets it all right again. It's the comforting taste of my childhood.

Jinx Stilton in anything is amazing but in soup...utterly splendid...I'm just getting up but will go through my day thinking of Stilton soup.

I often make 'Strange Soup' which is made with the leftover contents of anything in the fridge and veggie box and my family generally find it yummie.

​​​​​​​Thank you Bristol...you've found something positive about the upcoming chilly part...SOUP!
Worked at a conference hotel where our chef made "hunter's soup" which is much the same. Any meats or poultry that was prepared and not served was placed in a large cauldron along with all the bones and simmered for 2 days and then drained. The rich broth was then filled with all the chopped up vegetables that weren't served, i.e. corn, broccoli, spinach, etc.) and potatoes and served as one of the courses that weekend. It was the best soup I'd ever had.

Never been a fan of cheese in soup. My comfort ones are chicken, cream of tomato and cream of mushroom.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 9th 2018 at 5:46 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 6:07 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Worked at a conference hotel where our chef made "hunter's soup" which is much the same. Any meats or poultry that was prepared and not served was placed in a large cauldron along with all the bones and simmered for 2 days and then drained. The rich broth was then filled with all the chopped up vegetables that weren't served, i.e. corn, broccoli, spinach, etc.) and potatoes and served as one of the courses that weekend. It was the best soup I'd ever had.
That sounds like a soup with pedigree.

BristolUK, back off now, I'm not talking about dog food.

Originally Posted by Rete
Never been a fan of cheese in soup. My comfort ones are chicken, cream of tomato and cream of mushroom.
I once made a passable cream of mushroom, but only once, never recreated it as it should be.

All my attempts at homemade tomato are unprintable.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 6:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The best cream of mushroom soup I've had was made in my hometown in New York by an Irish cook (not a chef) in a little Irish pub. It was a cream of wild mushroom. Give me two bowls, please, and crusty bread and I'm in heaven. I know I would never be able to duplicate it so I've not tried.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:06 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I agree . Nasty paint stripper
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:20 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I agree . Nasty paint stripper
Horses for courses.

If either of you can beat Heinz, then please post the recipe?
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Horses for courses.
Home made tomato soup that you take Jings' hand blender to is going to look like Heinz and probably be at least as good. When you go to Canada buy a can of Aylmer and try it, cheese sandwich on the side.
5 stars on chickadvisor.com https://www.chickadvisor.com/item/aylmer-tomato-soup/
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:42 pm
Gloves off

Home made tomato soup that you take Jings' hand blender to is going to look like Heinz and probably be at least as good.
Sadly, not mine.

When you go to Canada buy a can of Aylmer and try it, cheese sandwich on the side.
Going back to Canada is on my wishlist, so I'll bring a large suitcase.

I really had to think twice before clicking that link...

Late afterthought: https://www.chickadvisor.com/item/heinz-tomato-soup/

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Oct 9th 2018 at 7:55 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Horses for courses.

Well there won't be a recipe to beat Heinz as it doesn't taste real, it's hard to get that canned flavour in fresh food.

otherwise saute onions and garlic, add passata, whatever herbs you like, a bit of sugar, blendm then add cream
Old Oct 9th 2018, 8:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a soup with pedigree.

BristolUK, back off now, I'm not talking about dog food.
Actually I was thinking of this

Old Oct 9th 2018, 8:08 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by bats
Well there won't be a recipe to beat Heinz as it doesn't taste real, it's hard to get that canned flavour in fresh food.

otherwise saute onions and garlic, add passata, whatever herbs you like, a bit of sugar, blendm then add cream
Understood, been there, done that, but... no secret ingredient then - discounting the can?

Ah, maybe not enough sugar in my previous attempts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.