Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sort of retirement plan

Sort of retirement plan

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sort of retirement plan

Vacation rentals don't have to be houses, a trailer is a good option. Depending on the site you might not get winter access for ice fishing etc but the initial investment would be lower.

https://m.realtor.ca/Residential/Sin...Ontario-K0L2G0
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Vacation rentals don't have to be houses, a trailer is a good option. Depending on the site you might not get winter access for ice fishing etc but the initial investment would be lower.

https://m.realtor.ca/Residential/Sin...Ontario-K0L2G0
Thanks, we now thinking of mixing it up, maybe good not to have all apples in one basket, vacay rental and a couple long term tenants
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Cornwall is now top of the list with a sketchy plan to maybe buy a couple of income properties in town, maybe with sitting tenants, a nice bungalow out of town for us and maybe pickup a cottage somewhere within an hour away.

Warning: Plans may change daily
FWIW

unless you have the knowledge, experience or the gut to do this especially in your 50's,then DONT

Bristol has experience at being a landlord, so have I.

Even with all the time on your hands & when its distance from where you live to the 'sitting tenants' - it really isn't worth the agro

or, would you want to have a duplex where you live in one half & rent the other out- or possibly a property that has a basement that you could rent out?

When you have tenants you are always on call - its like having a dog or an elderly relative.... you never get to go on holiday or have time to yourself

Should you stay in Ajax, consider downsizing + a cottage for summer retreats & maybe rent the cottage out for a few bucks in season so it pays the running costs, property tax & maintenance

I stick with the 'if you are going to move to have free cash from sale & what you buy, then keep in mind the healthcare situation that its available & you have all other amenities close.

No use being in a $250k property in the middle of nowhere, should you get snowed in, no power or a health scare
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:35 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Middle of nowhere is off the list now N2O

We would live near to our rental. We would move east to Cornwall. We have run rental properties in the U.K., Blackpool, had not so savoury tenants at one time and was also self employed for 15+ years.

I suppose really it’s not retiring it’s more going part time. I could also put in a few days a month surveillance work as we get jobs out east. I have worked Picton area and Brantford just last December
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I have just phoned the Surgeons office.....Recording... This phone is answered Mon - Thur 8 -11. Please note this machine does not take messages. Its as if they are deliberately trying to make it difficult!
There's something about Fridays here. My doc used to not 'do' Fridays and their answering machine was similar.

My stepdaughter just got referred for a bone scan today. Previous X-ray didn't pick up a break in her wrist and it's still a problem. It'll be interesting how long that is.

...NB is broke so anything that they try to do will be limited by this.
Yes...and every time something is suggested it's resisted.
That proposal to charge seniors with more than $100k tucked away a bit more for care (while those with nothing would pay less) was a start but the Seniors Coalition knocked that on the head. Bloody overly pampered seniors.

They should start by rounding up all the rural populace and herd them into the towns and Cities. This would save the province a fortune.
It's been happening voluntarily to some extent. Maybe the last ice storm would persuade them.

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I have had my house on the market for 11 months and I am priced at the advice of the (2nd realtor) $10k below what its worth to get it sold asap.
I have had 2 BS offers $20k below asking In real terms I will end up selling it for less than what I paid for it before spending a cent on renovations.
I think cheaper places are shifting quicker.
Are you throwing in your fancy coffee machine?
Are you satisfied with your realtors? (Phil Albert did well for me, although I sold the duplex at a loss price-wise. Fortunately the rental income more than made that up)

I am dying to get out of here but I am being held captive and fisted by the joke of a property market. I am close to burning it down for the insurance money
Lots of suspicious fires happening but yours might look less dodgy.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 6:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There's something about Fridays here. My doc used to not 'do' Fridays and their answering machine was similar.

My stepdaughter just got referred for a bone scan today. Previous X-ray didn't pick up a break in her wrist and it's still a problem. It'll be interesting how long that is.

Scaphoid fracture. It often, most often, doesn't show on the first xrays done at the time of injury so it's treated on clinical evidence and re xrayed two weeks later. If still no fracture seen then an isotope bone scan is ordered.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Middle of nowhere is off the list now N2O

We would live near to our rental. We would move east to Cornwall. We have run rental properties in the U.K., Blackpool, had not so savoury tenants at one time and was also self employed for 15+ years.

I suppose really it’s not retiring it’s more going part time. I could also put in a few days a month surveillance work as we get jobs out east. I have worked Picton area and Brantford just last December
so its Cornwall eh!

1. experience as a slumlord is a +1

other ...

2. Picton could be a good choice if you were to do either B&B or AirBnb

3. what about a look at Kingston or Trenton?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Scaphoid fracture. It often, most often, doesn't show on the first xrays done at the time of injury so it's treated on clinical evidence and re xrayed two weeks later. If still no fracture seen then an isotope bone scan is ordered.
Looked that up and it's a perfect description. Thanks Dr Bats.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:50 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by not2old
so its Cornwall eh!

1. experience as a slumlord is a +1

other ...

2. Picton could be a good choice if you were to do either B&B or AirBnb

3. what about a look at Kingston or Trenton?
Trenton is a dump and Queens students don't have the best rep. But I think those general areas for vacation rentals
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:30 pm

Trenton is a dump and Queens students don't have the best rep. But I think those general areas for vacation rentals
I do quite a lot of work in Trenton. Always stay over I even used a dentist there on an emergency last year. I could live there I like the small town vibe there.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I do quite a lot of work in Trenton. Always stay over I even used a dentist there on an emergency last year. I could live there I like the small town vibe there.
funny as it is when folks mention dumps, population & density

Ajax Ontario 109,000 peeps

Cornwall Ontario ~60,000

Trenton Ontario 22,000

Blackpool UK 142,000

Life is too short to worry about the small stuff

Home is where you are & what you make of it- if you don't like it for whatever reason, then move ... emigrate
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:38 pm
limey party pooper

Really? It has that unloved military town feel. Now Brighton next door is very nice and has a good small town vibe. You can still get houses/cottages at reasonable prices around there too. It's a good area but Trenton itself? Not for me. The hospital is ok though!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you BE-ers in your 50s/60s do not plan on staying in Canada for the retirement years?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How many of you BE-ers in your 50s/60s do not plan on staying in Canada for the retirement years?
USA (the warm and stormy bits) would be a idea, getting a visa tho ?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

USA (the warm and stormy bits) would be a idea, getting a visa tho ?
there is a guy I met in Uxbridge that does the 6/6 mths Ontario - florida - ontario

Trailer park in both places

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.