Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Son in car accident ... any advice?

Wikiposts

Son in car accident ... any advice?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Son in car accident ... any advice?

Last night the car in which my 18 yr old was a passenger was T-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light.

The impact was on the passenger side where he was sitting, and the car was written off. The driver has been apprehended as a witness took his licence number thank goodness.

Now my boy said nobody was hurt except he has a bit of a stiff neck. Now a few hours later he has some trouble turning his head and also complaining of a "really sore" ankle. I haven't yet seen him to examine him myself, but I want to see what you folk suggest as the correct course of action ... or if you agree with my thoughts, which are:

He should see his own doctor tomorrow if possible, or some doctor to get a proper medical opinion on record. We should make sure the police are aware that there was actual injury involved .... anything else ???

I can't really think straight tonight? I just don't want to find out later that there are repercussions from this and we didn't do the right thing at the time ...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:04 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son in car accident ... any advice?

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Last night the car in which my 18 yr old was a passenger was T-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light.

The impact was on the passenger side where he was sitting, and the car was written off. The driver has been apprehended as a witness took his licence number thank goodness.

Now my boy said nobody was hurt except he has a bit of a stiff neck. Now a few hours later he has some trouble turning his head and also complaining of a "really sore" ankle. I haven't yet seen him to examine him myself, but I want to see what you folk suggest as the correct course of action ... or if you agree with my thoughts, which are:

He should see his own doctor tomorrow if possible, or some doctor to get a proper medical opinion on record. We should make sure the police are aware that there was actual injury involved .... anything else ???

I can't really think straight tonight? I just don't want to find out later that there are repercussions from this and we didn't do the right thing at the time ...
I think he should go to casualty and get a full check over and xray on ankle etc. . .
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:12 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree to get him checked over, I bet you were worried sick when you heard

Glad he's ok though which is the main thing xxx
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Really sorry to hear about this. Happened to me a few years ago.

I would say he should definately see a doctor though and report it to the police so they can add it to their statement? I went up A&E when I had my accident but my insurance covered all the physio I needed and I got about Ā£3000 compensation (like your son, my neck got worse as the day went on and I suspect he has sustained a whiplash injury like I did)

I hope that the drink drivers insurance covers all this, I am not sure how it works for passengers. But definately get him checked out. He should be entitled to compensation too.

Good luck and I hope he is ok
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:36 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Well he's home now and physically seems not too bad, though he's very tearful still, and shaken up.

He has some bruising to his leg and stiffness in his neck and a headache. I'm not going to Emerg at this time of night though ... we'd be there all night. I'll call our own doc in the morning.

Police and EMS were at the scene and checked every one out at the time apparently, and one of the girls has been to a walk-in clinic today and has a whiplash and sprained (possibly fractured) wrist.

My boy has a copy of his statement to the police and a case number, so we can let the police know what's what after he has a medical opinion.

The EMS guy said they were lucky they were in VW Golf and not something more flimsy ... phew. The other driver will be charged with an assortment of DUI, reckless driving, failing to stop etc etc ....

...appears I misunderstood the red light thing though ... they were turning left on a green, and he was speeding (and impaired of course). He hit another car before he hit them.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 19th 2010 at 6:42 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:34 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It is very common in automotive collisions for injuries to not become apparent until the next day. The fast impact bruising and the adrenaline rush prevent an accurate run down of the medical implications. Yes some would say it means people can make it up the next day, but it's very common. A lot of similar kinds of accidents produce the same thing, with symptons not showing to the next day.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Well he's home now and physically seems not too bad, though he's very tearful still, and shaken up.

He has some bruising to his leg and stiffness in his neck and a headache. I'm not going to Emerg at this time of night though ... we'd be there all night. I'll call our own doc in the morning.

Police and EMS were at the scene and checked every one out at the time apparently, and one of the girls has been to a walk-in clinic today and has a whiplash and sprained (possibly fractured) wrist.

My boy has a copy of his statement to the police and a case number, so we can let the police know what's what after he has a medical opinion.

The EMS guy said they were lucky they were in VW Golf and not something more flimsy ... phew. The other driver will be charged with an assortment of DUI, reckless driving, failing to stop etc etc ....

...appears I misunderstood the red light thing though ... they were turning left on a green, and he was speeding (and impaired of course). He hit another car before he hit them.

He will need to report the accident to his insurer. They will then implement the new Minor Injury Regulation which will ensure that he is seen by the appropriate care givers to aid his rehabilitation. Up to a certain number of treatments his insurers will pick up the tab.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

adrenaline can hide pain very effectively. Get him to A&E, just to be certain.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:27 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Rose,

I'm not going into details here, BUT if you call Mrs C she will tell you to get him checked ASAP. She ended up on disability following exactly the same kind of thing. (Sure she's off now but it wasnt without a lot of work etc)
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:33 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take him to emerg just to rule out problems with the ankle or whiplash to the neck, and if there is any follow up with insurance you have the details
all the best
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:25 am
little snowy owl

Thanks for your advice and kind thoughts everyone ... we have a doctor's appt in about half an hour.

My own diagnosis is a minor Whiplash injury: he has almost full ROM with pain at end of ranges and some jaw pain/stiffness. A minor sprain of his right ankle: again full ROM with pain at end of ranges or on stressing the ligaments. A contusion to his right thigh which also makes full knee ROM uncomfortable. And a couple of tiny cuts you can only see on peering closely ...

I would expect a full recovery with active exercises and anti-inflammatories, but I just want to make sure we follow "protocol"

That Minor Injuries Claim cap is a bit of a isn't it? According to what I've read this morning, the injuries which might warrant a claim of $10-20k in say BC has a cap of $4 000 here in Alberta!

Anyway .... hope it won't come to needing to claim at all .....
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice and kind thoughts everyone ... we have a doctor's appt in about half an hour.

My own diagnosis is a minor Whiplash injury: he has almost full ROM with pain at end of ranges and some jaw pain/stiffness. A minor sprain of his right ankle: again full ROM with pain at end of ranges or on stressing the ligaments. A contusion to his right thigh which also makes full knee ROM uncomfortable. And a couple of tiny cuts you can only see on peering closely ...

I would expect a full recovery with active exercises and anti-inflammatories, but I just want to make sure we follow "protocol"

That Minor Injuries Claim cap is a bit of a isn't it? According to what I've read this morning, the injuries which might warrant a claim of $10-20k in say BC has a cap of $4 000 here in Alberta!

Anyway .... hope it won't come to needing to claim at all .....
Might want to delete that if hes thinking of suing the bastard Kind of like Madge Simpson telling the truth in court when Bart was hit by Mr Burns

Glad hes OK though, it makes you stop and think of how much worse it could have been.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The claim sounds like a no-brainer but it could become complicated if the other driver has no insurance. He will be caught by the Regulation if his injury is classified as WAD I or WAD II. The cap amount is annually adjusted.

He will need to follow the protocol of the Regulation insofar as attending treatments, which is the reason I gave the advice above.

Tell him not to use a laywer, they will take 25-25% of his damages, and there is no reason why he can't do it himself. I will be more than happy to "guide" him through it.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:07 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact your Insurer immediately. If they are any good they will put you in contact with a reputable Doctor. Soft tissue injuries are no joke.

A&E won't do much for him.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:41 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

At least he's OK .... you must have been so worried
To echo the sentiments of others, I'd take him to the hopsital
x x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.