Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some difficult news from Oakvillian

I think it is wonderful how BE'ers/their family and friends have supported Doug and his family. A huge thank you to everyone.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:13 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your kind words about my ratbags, SchnookoLoly. There'll be something winging it's way to you from them here in Aus, to pass on to Rosie, first thing Monday morning.

The way BE really can pull together always makes me smile.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We're not just a forum, we're a community of virtual friends who reach out and touch each others lives.

I think you're all amazing.

Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:39 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, bloody hell. I just popped in to see what Schnooks and Heather have been up to on my behalf... and now I'm sitting in the hospital reading this thread and blubbing like a very blubby thing. Thank you, everyone, you're lovely people.

It's been an absolutely hellish and yet completely life-affirming month. Rosie is fighting hard: long-stay ICU patients typically have all sorts of challenges in addition to the ones they came in with, and we've certainly had our fair share of those, but in general the number of tubes being removed has exceeded the number of new ones being put in, and Rosie is in remarkably good spirits considering all that she has been through. She's now being helped into a wheelchair for an hour or two a couple of times a day, and is pissed off enough with the number of people it takes to help her with even the most mundane of tasks that she is determined to regain her independence: when challenged to a game of Connect Four by one of her nurses, the forfeit Rosie asked for if she won was "an hour of being left alone with nobody bothering me."

We have, too, been genuinely overwhelmed (to the point of sobbing, frequently) by the generosity of local, global and virtual friends. The GoFundMe thing is completely extraordinary: a friend set it up because we'd sorted out a bank account but people who didn't have access to RBC couldn't contribute. We had no idea it would take off like it has, and with typical British horror at discussing anything connected with money in public, we find the whole thing acutely difficult and embarrassing. We have no idea, at this stage, what financial help Rosie will need, either in the short term as we prepare the house to accommodate a ten-year-old in a wheelchair, or in the long term as she deals with a lifetime of paraplegia and all its attendant challenges. I would like to think that a little bit of it will be set aside for her first full-contact wheelchair sports chair, I reckon that would be a good ambition to encourage!

I really, really appreciate everyone's messages of support. I'll pop in here from time to time over the next few weeks but probably won't post much. Thank you all
Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Well, bloody hell. I just popped in to see what Schnooks and Heather have been up to on my behalf... and now I'm sitting in the hospital reading this thread and blubbing like a very blubby thing. Thank you, everyone, you're lovely people.

It's been an absolutely hellish and yet completely life-affirming month. Rosie is fighting hard: long-stay ICU patients typically have all sorts of challenges in addition to the ones they came in with, and we've certainly had our fair share of those, but in general the number of tubes being removed has exceeded the number of new ones being put in, and Rosie is in remarkably good spirits considering all that she has been through. She's now being helped into a wheelchair for an hour or two a couple of times a day, and is pissed off enough with the number of people it takes to help her with even the most mundane of tasks that she is determined to regain her independence: when challenged to a game of Connect Four by one of her nurses, the forfeit Rosie asked for if she won was "an hour of being left alone with nobody bothering me."

We have, too, been genuinely overwhelmed (to the point of sobbing, frequently) by the generosity of local, global and virtual friends. The GoFundMe thing is completely extraordinary: a friend set it up because we'd sorted out a bank account but people who didn't have access to RBC couldn't contribute. We had no idea it would take off like it has, and with typical British horror at discussing anything connected with money in public, we find the whole thing acutely difficult and embarrassing. We have no idea, at this stage, what financial help Rosie will need, either in the short term as we prepare the house to accommodate a ten-year-old in a wheelchair, or in the long term as she deals with a lifetime of paraplegia and all its attendant challenges. I would like to think that a little bit of it will be set aside for her first full-contact wheelchair sports chair, I reckon that would be a good ambition to encourage!

I really, really appreciate everyone's messages of support. I'll pop in here from time to time over the next few weeks but probably won't post much. Thank you all
Bless you Oakvillian (although we all now know you real name, I still call you by your BE name!)

Your daughter sounds like a very strong willed and determined young lady. My daughter who is just bit younger said we should buy a sports wheelchair as thats what 'brave girls' would need! Take care!
Old Dec 11th 2016, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Doug your comments made me smile...a typical British reaction to adversity.

I am one of the lucky ones...I have met you at the Toronto meet-ups. Real life or cyber world...it says a lot abiut our terrific BE community that we rally round when one of us is in need.

I'm not a religious person by any means...but I have said a word or two in 'his' ear. Stay strong...all of us here are rooting for Rosie and her wonderful family.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 11th 2016 at 5:09 am.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful to hear from you, Oakvillian, I hope Rosie won that Connect4 match . Been thinking of you all, & sending as many positive thoughts as I can, & will continue to do so.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
We're not just a forum, we're a community of virtual friends who reach out and touch each others lives.

I think you're all amazing.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Doug your comments made me smile...a typical British reaction to adversity.

I am one of the lucky ones...I have met you at the Toronto meet-ups. Real life or cyber world...it says a lot abiut our terrific BE community that we rally round when one of us is in need.

I'm not a religious person by any means...but I have said a word or two in 'his' ear. Stay strong...all of us here are rooting for Rosie and her wonderful family.
+100 to both comments.

My (adult) kids had a whip-round & chucked a bit in the GFM pot: quote: " get her one of those FOAD sporty wheelchairs" /unquote
Old Dec 11th 2016, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Only just found this thread. Fingers crossed that Rosie makes a quick recovery.
A bit of money sent. x
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Well. This had me in tears. Twice.

Please send my best wishes to Rosie and her family.

I think the idea of saving the fund for a sports chair and similar life enhancements is very good one.

For the other stuff, hopefully the insurance companies and the bus driver's employer will do the right thing without needing to be forced.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

On the practical side: Tax credits and deductions for persons with disabilities

The registered disability savings plan might be a good home for the GoFundMe and RBC donations.

You might also want to explore a Henson Trust. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henson_trust
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:44 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Over 20k now.

25k not impossible.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely loved the comments from Doug. They made me smile, I love the bits of Rosie's personality, and totally wanting her independence.

The fund is now over $20k. Tons of BE names, so nice to see. And lots of people-who-know-people and... yeah.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic response.

Incidentally, Google tells me that GFM takes 8% of donations. That's less than I feared.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Absolutely loved the comments from Doug. They made me smile, I love the bits of Rosie's personality, and totally wanting her independence.

The fund is now over $20k. Tons of BE names, so nice to see. And lots of people-who-know-people and... yeah.
I read his reply and thought " yep, she's definitely her father's daughter"
I think with her attitude and that of her parents , she couldn't hope for a better chance.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:23 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I read his reply and thought " yep, she's definitely her father's daughter"
I think with her attitude and that of her parents , she couldn't hope for a better chance.
100% agree. The attitude that Oak and his wife have approached this whole situation with is just perfect. The road won't be easy, but with parents like those two, Rosie couldn't ask for a better support system in place.

The comment about the Connect 4 wage absolutely cracked me up. I hope she won.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.