British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Some difficult news from Oakvillian (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/some-difficult-news-oakvillian-888547/)

SchnookoLoly Dec 6th 2016 6:38 pm

Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Hi everyone,

​We have some bad news to share with you about one of our regular posters. Some weeks ago, On 7 November, Oakvillian’s ten year old daughter, Rosie, was cycling to school when a bus pulled out of a parking lot, knocking off her bike and running her over. She was transported to hospital and is recovering. Those of us close to Oakvillian have been following her progress but have been keeping to Private Messaging to protect the privacy of the family. However, with the family’s permission, we are now sharing with the wider BE community.

Rosie's injuries have, unsurprisingly, been severe. Her respiration has been the most concerning as the bus did damage to one lung and punctured her diaphragm. She has had her spleen and part of her large bowel removed, and has some kidney damage. However, she is getting stronger and stronger every day and is mostly breathing on her own. It looks like she will be able to leave the ICU in the next few weeks. The good news is that she was wearing her helmet, and was wearing it correctly, and as a result has no head or neck injury.

Unfortunately, and this is where it gets tough, although Rosie had no skeletal damage to her spine, the soft tissue injuries she suffered are so severe that Rosie will not regain the use of her legs and will be getting around in a wheelchair. Once she is out of the ICU, she will be transferred to a centre that specializes in rehabilitation for kids with spinal injuries, and the family is hoping to have her back home in the spring.

Oakvillian's family is understandably dealing with a lot right now as he, his wife, and their two sons support Rosie in her recovery and adjust to their new world.

To prevent Oakvillian from being swamped with PMs, if you have any message you would like to pass on, please send it in a PM to one of us and we will send it to Oakvillian in one email, along with any messages of support left on this thread. If you want to contribute in other ways, his friends and neighbours have set up a fund to help the family with their numerous expenses in the short term (including making their house accessible for Rosie), and the fund will also be used by Rosie later in life as and when she needs it.

I have spoken to Oakvillian (Doug) and he has given me permission to post the links to Rosie's funds.

There are two ways to donate.

The first is at any RBC Branch. If you are in Canada and able to do this, this is preferred as there are no fees incurred. You can go into any RBC branch and ask to make a donation to The Rosie Sparkles Fund. If you are an RBC customer, you can pay with your bank card, and if not then go in with cash. The account number is 01532 5179189.

The second is through GoFundMe. This has been set up primarily for those overseas or in areas without easy access to RBC. Here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/the-rosie-sparkles-fund There is a message from Rosie's family as well as a bit more information about what happened there.
We are all pulling for Oakvillian and his family, and with Oakvillian's permission, will post updates in this thread as and when.

HGerchikov and SchnookoLoly

BEVS Dec 6th 2016 7:58 pm

Re: Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Thank you Schnooks.

An incredibly sad and difficult time for Oakvillian and his lovely family.

All my care to him.

mikelincs Dec 6th 2016 8:03 pm

What terrible news for the family, I hope and pray that Rosie will recover from her injuries, and, I realise this will be a life changer for her and the family, but I do hope that they realise that there is a whole BE family out here rooting for them.

MidAtlantic Dec 6th 2016 8:07 pm

So sorry to read this news.

magnumpi Dec 6th 2016 8:39 pm

Wow sorry to hear this, ones life can change in an instant that's for sure. Hoping for the best recovery possible from the east side.

Dorothy Dec 6th 2016 9:27 pm

Oh Schnooks how awful for this family. I would be honoured to donate to a fund to help Oakvillian and his family.
D

Tangram Dec 6th 2016 9:31 pm

My heart goes out to them. If I was a praying man I would do it, as it is I wish the poor girl a speedy recovery.

BristolUK Dec 6th 2016 9:48 pm

Sorry for that news.

Can only pass on best wishes for all.

Almost Canadian Dec 6th 2016 11:53 pm

Dreadful news.

My heart goes out to them too.

Danny B Dec 7th 2016 12:00 am

Terrible news.

I would suggest that the friends and neighbours set up a 'go fund me' campaign. It will make life easier for them and for everyone who would like to donate.

Actually, I think I may have found it. I will PM you the link so you can confirm.

MillieF Dec 7th 2016 12:12 am

Mere words don't even begin to cover this one. Please Dear God support this family might start it. My very best wishes.

Paul_Shepherd Dec 7th 2016 12:13 am

Oh that is so terrible, something like this really does put life into perspective.

I do sincerely wish them all the best and the strength to deal with the tough months that lie ahead.

Paul.

SchnookoLoly Dec 7th 2016 12:15 am

Danny, I have responded to your PM.

There is a fund that has been set up, but I am not posting the information publicly. If anyone would like to contribute, please PM me or HG separately and we will provide the information. Thanks.

Mr Bean Dec 7th 2016 12:17 am

Offering strength, get well wishes and lots of cwtches for young Rosie from all at Chez Bean.

dave_j Dec 7th 2016 12:33 am

No words can describe our feelings.

Please pass on our best wishes for the future.