Sochi 2014

Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sochi 2014

Originally Posted by caretaker
Also, though beer and iced hockey go together I think that when the bars in TO open up for breakfast at 6 the patrons will watch ice dancing if that's what's on.
True.

ALL Canada hockey games are the late games in Sochi.

The reason is simple.. the time difference = TV ratings. It was not done by accident.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to see some of you taking an interest in our little game no matter how wrong or misinformed you are.
I'm sure if I tried to provide commentary on cricket it would seem as transparently uninformed. Canadian iced hockey teams occasionally win world championships on European ice, and have been doing so for some time. We get beat too, (Team Norway who we won against today were 2000 champions). The difference in playing style on the larger rink hasn't been a mystery in over 40 years and teams which play on both adapt to match the space. When Europeans come here they adapt as well. On the big rink there's more passing space and you'll see players circling waiting for the puck, and the need to cover more ice means you'll see them constantly headmanning the puck (passing forward). On the smaller rink as mentioned there is more contact, though big ice still sees lots of elbow action in the corners. I've only seen a Russian player drop his gloves once and he probably plays for Siberia now. If we don't make the final it will be a disappointment but certainly won't make the games a failure. Also, though beer and iced hockey go together I think that when the bars in TO open up for breakfast at 6 the patrons will watch ice dancing if that's what's on.
I thought the ice rinks in the Olympics have to be the same size no matter what country hosts the games?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
I thought the ice rinks in the Olympics have to be the same size no matter what country hosts the games?
An exception was made for Vancouver. Probably economic reasons.

Salt Lake 2002 was on big ice.

http://arenaguide.iihf.com/en/news/index.php?nid=7

By the way, did anyone notice how the outside of the dome was lit up with the Canadian and Norwegian flags last night ?

Just so cool.

Last edited by Martin the cdn expat; Feb 14th 2014 at 7:52 am.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:34 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I will be watching GB go for gold in Womens Skeleton today!!

And here's hoping for a medal for Patrick Chan! His work is cut out for him though to beat the Japanese guy who will no doubt be coming off a high after setting a world record for short program score...! (Gutted that Kevin Reynolds didn't have a great performance yesterday - he's such a quirky guy!)

Women's ski aerials later I think will just be entertaining.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:35 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to see some of you taking an interest in our little game no matter how wrong or misinformed you are.
I'm sure if I tried to provide commentary on cricket it would seem as transparently uninformed. Canadian iced hockey teams occasionally win world championships on European ice, and have been doing so for some time. We get beat too, (Team Norway who we won against today were 2000 champions). The difference in playing style on the larger rink hasn't been a mystery in over 40 years and teams which play on both adapt to match the space. When Europeans come here they adapt as well. On the big rink there's more passing space and you'll see players circling waiting for the puck, and the need to cover more ice means you'll see them constantly headmanning the puck (passing forward). On the smaller rink as mentioned there is more contact, though big ice still sees lots of elbow action in the corners. I've only seen a Russian player drop his gloves once and he probably plays for Siberia now. If we don't make the final it will be a disappointment but certainly won't make the games a failure. Also, though beer and iced hockey go together I think that when the bars in TO open up for breakfast at 6 the patrons will watch ice dancing if that's what's on.
Ontario has said nyet to the opening hours.

The bigger ice could actually be a good thing for certain players. More space means more time and opportunity for the likes of Shea and Subban to really wind up.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The bigger ice could actually be a good thing for certain players. More space means more time and opportunity for the likes of Shea and Subban to really wind up.
That's true, but I think the difference rink size makes to the game is less pronounced than it was 40 years ago because the players are all skating faster now. Training, equipment, sports medicine have all improved so the players are stronger and faster. Maybe normal NHL tactics have changed as well and some have been adopted from Europe along with her players.
1 - 0 Sweden 8 min into the 3rd! Shame to go to work.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 14th 2014 at 1:25 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:25 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That is because it is planned to open early for the Hockey medal games only, not the rest of the games, for Hockey
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to find a bar here that opens before 9:30.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:42 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to find a bar here that opens before 9:30.
They plan to open at 6am

Lol, Ohh my, then prob go to work after i suppose....

Employers were also letting employees watch the hockey at work....No mention of them continuing to watch ice dance or luge?

Last edited by magnumpi; Feb 14th 2014 at 1:45 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:54 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

That's true, but I think the difference rink size makes to the game is less pronounced than it was 40 years ago because the players are all skating faster now. Training, equipment, sports medicine have all improved so the players are stronger and faster. Maybe normal NHL tactics have changed as well and some have been adopted from Europe along with her players.
1 - 0 Sweden 8 min into the 3rd! Shame to go to work.
It is a shame to go to work.

My five-hour time difference with my office is quite handy. They'll all have buggered off before the second period in the Can/Aus game.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:56 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

This story is really heartwarming - http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/...for-our-hearts

Short version - Peru has sent their first-ever competitor to the Winter Olympics - he competes in 15km cross country. He broke a rib in training but refused to let the injury knock him out of competing.

He finished dead last in the race, about 30 minutes behind the gold and silver medalists. He was actually alone on the course for about 10 minutes, he was that far behind.

The gold and silver medalists, from Switzerland and Nepal respectively, waited at the finish line for him and shook his hand and hugged him as he crossed the finish line with the Peruvian flag over his head. They waited the full 30ish minutes for him to cross.

I love stories like this during the Olympics. They really make me happy - that's what it's about.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Employers were also letting employees watch the hockey at work....No mention of them continuing to watch ice dance or luge?
This office comes to a standstill during the World Cup. People are in the cafeteria screaming at the screens, off to the pub, or at their desks streaming. Ice hockey not so much.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
This office comes to a standstill during the World Cup. People are in the cafeteria screaming at the screens, off to the pub, or at their desks streaming. Ice hockey not so much.
Well it was on TV so it must be true

Admittedly the World Cup is a mental time in the GTA, flags galore on every car allmost
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:11 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Winter Olympics over yet? The snow has started to melt in Toronto.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
Is the Winter Olympics over yet? The snow has started to melt in Toronto.
It only started yesterday, and continues today when Canada play Austria

Feb 14 12:00 PM
Men – Group B CAN vs. AUT

Feb 16 12:00 PM
Men – Group B FIN vs. CAN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.