Sochi 2014

Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:05 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sochi 2014

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Now that is what's all about......and this pictures is just priceless and very emotional

Some of us know that athletes (although some get carried away with celebrations), do a lot for charity behind the scene, some more than others...they still manage to get a bad wrap for the on field/court antics
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we are enjoying it.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Is it a problem that the best sprinters tend to be black but that the best ice hockey players tend to be white or even pointing out such facts?

I've joined late and it looks like there have been deletions.
It is a statement of fact although the reasons for these sports being dominated by white and black people are different.

The performance level in sprinting is down to science and genetics.

The performance level in hockey is largely down to financial reasons similar to golf, tennis, formula 1 and these winter Olympic sports. Minority games played by a privileged few.

Sprinting is accessible to all.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:33 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It is a statement of fact although the reasons for these sports being dominated by white and black people are different.

The performance level in sprinting is down to science and genetics.

The performance level in hockey is largely down to financial reasons similar to golf, tennis, formula 1 and these winter Olympic sports. Minority games played by a privileged few.

Sprinting is accessible to all.
How about Basketball.....the say "white men can't jump" Larry bird and others have since proven that to be a falacy

Steve Kerr on the same Chicago Bulls team as Jordan...it sire didn't have trouble banging those 3 pointers. "The birdman with tattoos" on the Miami heat team, Steve Nash

It's still comes down to...if you really want it, nothing can stop you from getting to the top. Who would have Though Hamilton will win the F1 championship
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So... back to Sochi..

Who is supporting Canada rather than the UK, anyone?

If you support one and they don't do well, do you switch to the other team?

http://www.teamgb.com/games/sochi-2014
http://olympic.ca/games/2014-sochi/
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
How about Basketball.....the say "white men can't jump" Larry bird and others have since proven that to be a falacy

Whose they???? No one says that. It was the name of a popular movie back in the nineties. Basketball and NFL are both examples of sports where natural athleticism shines through and again one race far outnumbers another when opportunity to participate is far more level

Steve Kerr on the same Chicago Bulls team as Jordan...it sire didn't have trouble banging those 3 pointers. "The birdman with tattoos" on the Miami heat team, Steve Nash

Again not sure what your point is. Good basketballers probably but still outnumbered if you are going to look at players of a different race who can do the same thing

It's still comes down to...if you really want it, nothing can stop you from getting to the top. Who would have Though Hamilton will win the F1 championship
Nothing can stop you? Except perhaps lack of finance, contacts and the opportunity A child who is given golf lessons and game time at the age of 5 years old is going to be an infinitely better golfer at 18 than a kid who turns up at 18 and has never played before, regardless of how hungry they are.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 11th 2014 at 11:52 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

So... back to Sochi..

Who is supporting Canada rather than the UK, anyone?

If you support one and they don't do well, do you switch to the other team?

http://www.teamgb.com/games/sochi-2014
http://olympic.ca/games/2014-sochi/
I support both and in actual fact supporting a specific country is not really very Olympic spirited Siouxie I am shocked at you for the first time.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I support both and in actual fact supporting a specific country is not really very Olympic spirited Siouxie I am shocked at you for the first time.

I know, sorry...
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:56 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I know, sorry...
Most of the coverage I have watched has been US and Canadian via CBC and NBC.

But the medal that gave me the most delight was the British snowboarding bronze. Mainly because I enjoy tumbling down the hills of Ontario with a board strapped on my feet.

A great moment so far was a Canadian coach running out and lending a russian a ski after their ski broke.

When push comes to shove I do love the fact the athletes have that "in it together" mentality and share rooms in the village etc.

The Olympics, World Cup and most events as always are ruined by professionalism and governing bodies.

But let me ask this question. The 100 metres is the flagship event of the Summer Olympics. What is the equivalent in the Winter Olympics???

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 11th 2014 at 11:59 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the coverage I have watched has been US and Canadian via CBC and NBC.

But the medal that gave me the most delight was the British snowboarding bronze. Mainly because I enjoy tumbling down the hills of Ontario with a board strapped on my feet.

A great moment so far was a Canadian coach running out and lending a russian a ski after their ski broke.

When push comes to shove I do love the fact the athletes have that in it together mentality and share rooms in the village etc.

The Olympics, World Cup and most events as always are ruined by professionalism and governing bodies.
If you watch with the sound down its not too bad.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:08 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

But let me ask this question. The 100 metres is the flagship event of the Summer Olympics. What is the equivalent in the Winter Olympics???
Mens Hockey
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:04 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Downhill. No question. That's the blue riband event.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Downhill. No question. That's the blue riband event.
Mens.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:07 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Who would have Though Hamilton will win the F1 championship
That's a terrible example. McLaren signed Hamilton to their driver development program when he was a child. He was nurtured and groomed as a talent and prospective world champion for years. Millions of $ invested in him before he got an F1 seat. So, to answer your question, pretty much anyone with a half decent knowledge of that sport would have thought he stood a better than average chance of becoming world champion.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:56 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching the BBC programming . Go Team GB , with a bit of love for Canada COs we are here and the Van Olympics were fab, plus Czech .. Family !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.