Sochi 2014

Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:25 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sochi 2014

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Boo, Norway just took the top of the medals table - 4-3-4 to Canada's 4-3-2. Keeping an eye on Luge for later today... Canadians go into the last race in 4th and 5th, so fingers crossed there. Not sure what other medal hopefuls are on today, though...
Nice

Last edited by magnumpi; Feb 11th 2014 at 4:30 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The CBC coverage is just dreadful. Biased I accept but some of it borders on playground racism. The US coverage is better than this and that's saying something. And some of the events are a bit silly. Canada is not that good at the proper winter sports like downhill, ski jumping and cross country but seems to excel at the new daft ones, like skiing over park benches or bumps. That said, I think the Russians have done wonderful job overall, from the facilities to the opening ceremony to the cauldron, its so much better than the weak effort Vancouver put on. Plus, no athlete has died yet, which is nice.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:42 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The CBC coverage is just dreadful. Biased I accept but some of it borders on playground racism. The US coverage is better than this and that's saying something. And some of the events are a bit silly. Canada is not that good at the proper winter sports like downhill, ski jumping and cross country but seems to excel at the new daft ones, like skiing over park benches or bumps. That said, I think the Russians have done wonderful job overall, from the facilities to the opening ceremony to the cauldron, its so much better than the weak effort Vancouver put on.

This in bold, and no organizer has been accussed of child abuse yet
Whichever way you skin it...racism is racism, playground, workplace, sports etc. Actually kids don't see skin, it's the parents that draw attention to such things in the comfort of their homes that kids pick up on.

Winter olympics is the dumbest idea so far in the history of sports. If you are going to have a game that brings all nations together, winter games is not it....considering not every nation gets snow. However, every nation gets summer and a summer games is more appropriate.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Whichever way you skin it...racism is racism, playground, workplace, sports etc. Actually kids don't see skin, it's the parents that draw attention to such things in the comfort of their homes that kids pick up on.

Winter olympics is the dumbest idea so far in the history of sports. If you are going to have a game that brings all nations together, winter games is not it....considering not every nation gets snow. However, every nation gets summer and a summer games is more appropriate.
Oi, rule #18.

I don't the main sports are dumb but in an attempt to make it seem bigger thus more relevant they keep adding some very silly activities. I'm not sure it should be given olympic status though.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:52 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Oi, rule #18.

I don't the main sports are dumb but in an attempt to make it seem bigger thus more relevant they keep adding some very silly activities. I'm not sure it should be given olympic status though.
Then you and I are on the same page i.e. you are paraphrasing in a more conservative way. Lets call it what it is
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

what's wrong with having both? Nobody is suggesting that the winter games should replace the summer games. Some countries excel at winter sport over summer sport (Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Canada...), some at summer over winter (GB, Australia, Kenya, Ethiopia, Jamaica). Some do both (USA, Germany, Russia). The Winter games - with the exception of the overinflated egos and salaries of the NHL players - are probably closer to the Olympic ideals of competing in the spirit of friendship than the Summer games have been for many years.

You might equally say that some summer sports are divisive. Landlocked countries cannot compete fairly in sailing events. Equestrianism events have been dominated for years by a small handful of wealthy nations. And there are equally many "stupid" activities: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming - hell, any swimming event that requires use of a specific stroke is as dumb to some people as the slopestyle or moguls events. It's not, and has never been, as simple as "the fastest person from A to B" - there are rules and conventions to obey.

Winter sports have a long and illustrious history. There were figure skating and ice hockey competitions in some early summer Olympiads, and a "Nordic Games" in the early 20th century that had ski jumping, hockey, curling and skeleton bob, among other sports. To dismiss over a century of Olympic competition and extraordinary human endeavour as "the dumbest idea so far in the history of sports" is completely ridiculous.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:17 pm
Banned

And that is why opinion is akin to a private part, everybody has one
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
what's wrong with having both? Nobody is suggesting that the winter games should replace the summer games. Some countries excel at winter sport over summer sport (Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Canada...), some at summer over winter (GB, Australia, Kenya, Ethiopia, Jamaica). Some do both (USA, Germany, Russia). The Winter games - with the exception of the overinflated egos and salaries of the NHL players - are probably closer to the Olympic ideals of competing in the spirit of friendship than the Summer games have been for many years.

You might equally say that some summer sports are divisive. Landlocked countries cannot compete fairly in sailing events. Equestrianism events have been dominated for years by a small handful of wealthy nations. And there are equally many "stupid" activities: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming - hell, any swimming event that requires use of a specific stroke is as dumb to some people as the slopestyle or moguls events. It's not, and has never been, as simple as "the fastest person from A to B" - there are rules and conventions to obey.

Winter sports have a long and illustrious history. There were figure skating and ice hockey competitions in some early summer Olympiads, and a "Nordic Games" in the early 20th century that had ski jumping, hockey, curling and skeleton bob, among other sports. To dismiss over a century of Olympic competition and extraordinary human endeavour as "the dumbest idea so far in the history of sports" is completely ridiculous.
I like that idea, thats what they should go back to being called. The summer games are mostly inclusive where as the winter games only about a 1/4 of the world actually participates effectually. And those sort of odds is just how Canada likes it. Everybody gets a summer, only a few a snowy winter.

There are lakes in landlocked countries.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I think overall Canada is just relieved that someone else will potentially be picking up the mantra of hosting "The Worst Games Ever".

On a positive note I've managed to bag a few brunches out of it with mate's inviting me over to watch the Sunday midday iced hockey games.

Always happy to watch snowboarding of a high standard at any event.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I said this in an earlier post - I love how laid back and friendly all the athletes seem to be. There seems to be a much higher level of camaraderie present in the Winters than in the Summers. Also, I find there's less attitude generally - I remember seeing a lot of the Athletics athletes in the summer Olympics going totally mental and kind of acting very egotistical and such... whereas the Winter athletes seem to be a bit more humble and... I don't know, "normal", I guess. It's a nice change.

Any sport that has such a high percentage of royalty able to compete (Equestrian) gets question marks in my books.

Also - how many versions of wrestling/fighting events are there? Wrestling, boxing, judo, taek wan do, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting, plus a few new ones were campaigning to be included for 2016 and 2020. Times by 3 weight classes and 2 genders in each, and that's a lot of general fighting events...

This is great - I agree completely. Such a big deal is made of guys like Phelps and other swimmers who come away with 8 gold medals - how many other athletes are able to complete in 8 different events?? Even the runners max out at 4-5, same with skiiers, figure skaters, track, etc... the sheer number of strokes in swimming is ridiculous. The different distances don't bother me, lots of other sports have different distances and lots of athletes complete in both (running, speed skating, etc)... but having so many variants of the same thing is a bit ridiculous, yes.

I love watching both Olympics. Both events have their place.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:29 pm
Banned

I said this in an earlier post - I love how laid back and friendly all the athletes seem to be. There seems to be a much higher level of camaraderie present in the Winters than in the Summers. Also, I find there's less attitude generally - I remember seeing a lot of the Athletics athletes in the summer Olympics going totally mental and kind of acting very egotistical and such... whereas the Winter athletes seem to be a bit more humble and... I don't know, "normal", I guess. It's a nice change.

Any sport that has such a high percentage of royalty able to compete (Equestrian) gets question marks in my books.

Also - how many versions of wrestling/fighting events are there? Wrestling, boxing, judo, taek wan do, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting, plus a few new ones were campaigning to be included for 2016 and 2020. Times by 3 weight classes and 2 genders in each, and that's a lot of general fighting events...

This is great - I agree completely. Such a big deal is made of guys like Phelps and other swimmers who come away with 8 gold medals - how many other athletes are able to complete in 8 different events?? Even the runners max out at 4-5, same with skiiers, figure skaters, track, etc... the sheer number of strokes in swimming is ridiculous. The different distances don't bother me, lots of other sports have different distances and lots of athletes complete in both (running, speed skating, etc)... but having so many variants of the same thing is a bit ridiculous, yes.

I love watching both Olympics. Both events have their place.
The comments in bold bothers me, and you obviously are trying to say something there that you can't just admit......Would you be so blunt as to actually name the "egotistical athletes" you speak of then...am guessing Hussain Bolt, the Brit athletes, the Yanks

Perhaps it is you that has the problem? I remember seeing the young Quebec girl win gold the other day, and running around like a prat...is this what you speak of of the summer athletes????

A guy or gal wins a a record breaking 100, 200, 4x100, 4x400, 800, 1500 (Mo FARRAH) and you just want them to just not celebrate?

I think you have made your comments a Black and White issue....disturbing really
This is great - I agree completely. Such a big deal is made of guys like Phelps and other swimmers who come away with 8 gold medals - how many other athletes are able to complete in 8 different events?? Even the runners max out at 4-5,
Another bashing of athletes...you sure do have a problem with athletes don't ya, who mostly happen to be Black. I hope you are not a school teacher or some in some sort of position that overseas people...cos it will seem that you have a preconceived notion

Last edited by ultrarunner; Feb 11th 2014 at 7:32 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Deleting everything I wrote - not taking the bait on this.

You're basically accusing me of being a racist and twisting my words. I do not appreciate that, nor do I appreciate the personal insults.

Last edited by SchnookoLoly; Feb 11th 2014 at 7:38 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Phelps is mostly a Black man?

Well u learn some thing everyday. I never !!!!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:42 pm
Banned

Deleting everything I wrote - not taking the bait on this.

You're basically accusing me of being a racist and twisting my words. I do not appreciate that, nor do I appreciate the personal insults.
Then clarify what you mean targeting athletes that just happen to be mostly Black? I am not twisting whatever you said...it's all there

What do you mean by.....the Winter athletes have more camaraderie than the summer athletes? let's not forget that you didn't mention short putters, high jumpers, discuss throwers, pole vaulters.....

Went in for the kill with athletics. In this day and age, where sports is meant to be breaking down boundaries...animosity, hatred and all that is not needed, otherwise we are taking steps back
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Phelps is mostly a Black man?

Well u learn some thing everyday. I never !!!!
That is all you took away from that post, especially the athletics bit with egos, prouncing around and lack of camaraderie?

Talk about a stereotype

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.