British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   So what are we all having for dinner today? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/so-what-we-all-having-dinner-today-935255/)

BristolUK Oct 12th 2020 6:01 pm

So what are we all having for dinner today?

Roast turkey, roast spuds and parsnips, token sprouts, carrots for colour, two stuffings, green beans, cranberry sauce and gravy.

:thumbup:

It's a butter infused, stuffed, cook from frozen one. They've always been great. Luckily I discovered the cooking time was about 2 hours more than I thought while there was time to spare. :ohmy:

Danny B Oct 12th 2020 6:52 pm

re: So what are we all having for dinner today?

Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, mash and sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and gravy, washed down with a slice of Costco pumpkin pie and fresh whipping cream.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 12th 2020 7:02 pm

Waffles I think, or maybe a sandwich.

macadian Oct 12th 2020 7:14 pm

Pizza and beer....I give thanks for both. Amen.

Siouxie Oct 12th 2020 7:34 pm

Sweet Francis Adams, I suspect, certainly not anything cheery.. (I changed it from the usual UK saying in deference to our N.America members for which the first word means something totally different) :D

BristolUK Oct 12th 2020 8:28 pm

Just having a Bristol Cream. Cheers.

caretaker Oct 12th 2020 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 12921331)
Pizza and beer....I give thanks for both. Amen.

I had beer before, loaded a spinach pizza with tons of other stuff and went to lemon hart and diet coke.
As for giving thanks, I invoke the spirit of Jimmy Stewart:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...feb9e1309f.jpg

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 12th 2020 9:08 pm

Now I want pizza lol

Rete Oct 12th 2020 9:08 pm

Good Lord but that looks nasty :sick:

caretaker Oct 12th 2020 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12921367)
Good Lord but that looks nasty :sick:

I'll put fresh oysters on a pizza and bake it; looks like something came out of an ox's nose.

Partially discharged Oct 12th 2020 9:27 pm

Roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, various vegetables and IPA. A Baco Noir may come out later. Turkey is basically just above liver in terms of a meat that I would ever choose to eat.

caretaker Oct 12th 2020 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12921376)
Turkey is basically just above liver in terms of a meat that I would ever choose to eat.

I like the crispy skin on roast turkey, and stuffing and gravy, but the rest is sort of anti-climactic.
edit to say that there certainly is a place for the turkey salad sandwich

Rete Oct 12th 2020 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12921376)
Roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, various vegetables and IPA. A Baco Noir may come out later. Turkey is basically just above liver in terms of a meat that I would ever choose to eat.

I'd prefer a lovely turkey or liver dinner over a roast leg of lamb. While I love lamb chops, leg of lamb I've found to be smelly and greasy.

scilly Oct 12th 2020 10:26 pm

Roast ham with plum sauce, candied sweet potatoes, boiled potatoes, cucumber salad, brussels sprouts for me broad beans for OH, possibly peas. Pumpkin tart for OH, no dessert for me.

I love turkey, and love having lots of left overs (yummy sandwiches with cranberry sauce and sage and onion stuffing :nod: ), but we felt like a change this year from turkey breast or some other smaller part of turkey.

BristolUK Oct 12th 2020 11:37 pm

I was never a great fan of turkey but I enjoyed the plated meal it provided. It didn't matter that it was dry and overcooked or not fully cooked and you had to make do with what bits were edible, the sum of the whole was very good.

Then one day I tried a butterball (not those breast things in a box - that are actually quite good) but a butter infused one. Thought it was weird to cook from frozen but it was brilliant. It encouraged me to change my mum's cooking method and I found I could do it just as well with an ordinary cheap turkey.

The Québécois family went from "turkey's dry and like cardboard" to 3 or 4 times a year isn't enough.

The breast of a nicely cooked turkey is as good as any other meat, Rib Eye steak excepted.

But Turkey does seem to be like marmite - either loved or hated.