Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So what are we all having for dinner today?

So what are we all having for dinner today?

Old Oct 12th 2020, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: So what are we all having for dinner today?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was never a great fan of turkey but I enjoyed the plated meal it provided. It didn't matter that it was dry and overcooked or not fully cooked and you had to make do with what bits were edible, the sum of the whole was very good.

Then one day I tried a butterball (not those breast things in a box - that are actually quite good) but a butter infused one. Thought it was weird to cook from frozen but it was brilliant. It encouraged me to change my mum's cooking method and I found I could do it just as well with an ordinary cheap turkey.

The Québécois family went from "turkey's dry and like cardboard" to 3 or 4 times a year isn't enough.

The breast of a nicely cooked turkey is as good as any other meat, Rib Eye steak excepted.

But Turkey does seem to be like marmite - either loved or hated.

Now those are two fresh things I've not heard before

1. Cooking a turkey frozen; and
2. Believing a Butterball Turkey is infused with butter instead of oil.

Won't use a Butterball as we don't care for the taste of the meat due to the infusion. We prefer either the store brand or Honey Suckle Turkey. Defrost the turkey in the frig for a few days, depending on the size, then remove from the wrapping, wash thoroughly after removing the neck, kidneys, heart, etc., pull out whatever goop is left in the cavity, rinse well, douse cavity with salt to further draw off the blood and the day of cooking, rinse again and stuff with your bread stuffing or with veggies and then roast.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Won't use a Butterball as we don't care for the taste of the meat due to the infusion. We prefer either the store brand or Honey Suckle Turkey. Defrost the turkey in the frig for a few days, depending on the size, then remove from the wrapping, wash thoroughly after removing the neck, kidneys, heart, etc., pull out whatever goop is left in the cavity, rinse well, douse cavity with salt to further draw off the blood and the day of cooking, rinse again and stuff with your bread stuffing or with veggies and then roast.

There are cook from frozen turkey in Canada.

Old Oct 13th 2020, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We had an excellent butcher for over 45 years who used to get free range turkeys from a local farm.

You never quite knew what size you would get, usually larger than you ordered, but they were fresh. It never really mattered how big they were, as long as they fitted in the oven!!, because we usually had so many people for dinner that we would not have too much left over.

I've only rarely tasted turkey better than those.

I think that's why we've gone off them a bit in recent years when we've had to get them from the supermarket, even though we usually try to get fresh not frozen.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 5:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We had an excellent butcher for over 45 years who used to get free range turkeys from a local farm.

You never quite knew what size you would get, usually larger than you ordered, but they were fresh. It never really mattered how big they were, as long as they fitted in the oven!!, because we usually had so many people for dinner that we would not have too much left over.

I've only rarely tasted turkey better than those.

I think that's why we've gone off them a bit in recent years when we've had to get them from the supermarket, even though we usually try to get fresh not frozen.
I bought one of these a couple of Christmas's ago, it was the best tasting turkey I have eaten since I was a child

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/prod...3_pc-free-from

PC 'Free From' Air Chilled Frozen Grade A Whole Turkey
Old Oct 13th 2020, 12:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Never heard or saw this before. I'm an old dog and this new trick is not one I want to learn. Glad it is there though for those that like the convenience.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Won't use a Butterball as we don't care for the taste of the meat due to the infusion. We prefer either the store brand or Honey Suckle Turkey.
I said Butterball because they are universally recognised (for those joining in but not actually in Canada ). The store brand is President's Choice - infused with not just any old butter, but Normandy Butter
Spoiler:

Never heard or saw this before. I'm an old dog and this new trick is not one I want to learn. Glad it is there though for those that like the convenience.
It shocked me the first time but other than it being pre-stuffed I wouldn't say it was necessarily convenient. Sure you don't need to thaw it but the cook time is that much longer as a result and there is some prep not needed for thawed ones. This one was 7 hours so if it's lunch it has to go on really early whereas a thawed, unstuffed one that size would have been less than half that time.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what are we all having for dinner today?

Often the PC brand is better than the national name brand on most products I find.

Now No Name is another story, but PC brand is just as good if not better than name brand.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 7:23 pm
Concierge

President's Choice was the store brand name for products sold in Walbaum supermarkets in the US.

What do they mean by "PC black label Normandy style cultured butter"? Found the answer.

What Is Cultured Butter? | Vermont Creamery

www.vermontcreamery.com › cheese-and-butter-blog
Sep 23, 2013 — Cultured butter is made in the European-style with pasteurized, fresh cream in a churn just like regular sweet cream butter, but with one ...

People also ask

What is the difference between cultured butter and regular butter?

Cultured butter vs regular butter

However, letting the cream ferment with live bacteria before churning creates a tangy version called cultured butter. ... Then there's cultured butter. Cultured butter is creamy, more buttery in flavour, and has a high melting point than ordinary butter

I'm off to google it.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 13th 2020 at 7:26 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Yeah Presidents Choice was available in parts of the US, especially in the 1990's, even Wal-Mart sold some President Choice products into the late 1990's to maybe very early 2000's. The US chains that carried the PC branded products were either owned by Loblaws, or through marketing agreements with other chains.

The Presidents Choice brand though is Canadian, owned by Loblaws Companies.

Many PC products are made in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the store brands in the US sold under different names is the same as Presidents Choice.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 9:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yeah Presidents Choice was available in parts of the US, especially in the 1990's, even Wal-Mart sold some President Choice products into the late 1990's to maybe very early 2000's. The US chains that carried the PC branded products were either owned by Loblaws, or through marketing agreements with other chains.

The Presidents Choice brand though is Canadian, owned by Loblaws Companies.

Many PC products are made in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the store brands in the US sold under different names is the same as Presidents Choice.
Maybe it should be relabelled as Prime Minister's Choice
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe it should be relabelled as Prime Minister's Choice

Seems it would be a more appropriate name for Canadian product......

I find many of the store brands pretty good, A lot of the Wal-Mart Finest brand is pretty good and good price, very comparable to name brand.

Old Oct 14th 2020, 8:32 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband...who considers himself a world expert on peanut butter (yuck, I don’t like it) swears that ‘No Name’ Smooth Peanut Butter is the best on the market...

We had a half leg of lamb, not cheap, it was Australian and it was as tough as old boots! Thank heavens for many delicious roast potatoes, yum. I’m thinking of getting a great big chicken for Christmas, chicken is never tough, or dry and everyone likes it and you don’t need nuclear teeth to chew it.

Last edited by MillieF; Oct 14th 2020 at 8:36 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

I never tried No Name Peanut butter, but its got too much stuff in it for me....

FRESHLY ROASTED PEANUTS, ICING SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MODIFIED PALM OIL, SALT.

I like plain peanut butter with nothing in it but peanuts, Kraft Only Peanuts is my favorite, but the Wal Mart Great Value Natural is a close 2nd place, also only contains peanuts.

The natural peanut butter separates and requires stirring before using, and is more work, but tastes so much better.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My husband...who considers himself a world expert on peanut butter (yuck, I don’t like it) swears that ‘No Name’ Smooth Peanut Butter is the best on the market...

We had a half leg of lamb, not cheap, it was Australian and it was as tough as old boots! Thank heavens for many delicious roast potatoes, yum. I’m thinking of getting a great big chicken for Christmas, chicken is never tough, or dry and everyone likes it and you don’t need nuclear teeth to chew it.
We get Canadian lamb....the Australian or NZ lamb is not as fresh. But usually cheaper per kg.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 2:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
We get Canadian lamb....the Australian or NZ lamb is not as fresh. But usually cheaper per kg.
I'd probably trade the soul of unborn future relatives when it comes to lamb...

We don't often see Canadian lamb, some but not much, all of the frozen is Australian or NZ. I have seldom had a tough bit...last weekend we had Thanksgiving and my husband had got stuck somewhere and couldn't come home...he'd been gone for weeks, a thick cold frost, a raging gale and then my bloody dinner was tough just sometimes it gets too much...

I love a lamb shank and I can get them fresh, but have to order them well in advance.

We have quite a big Siriyan presence here now and I have spotted a bit of goat meat in a smaller shop, I have often eaten it at weddings but I've never cooked it. I am going to see if I could get a reasonable cut of it and try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.