Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

Originally Posted by MillieF
Something odd which did occur to me; I’ve become much more used to the sound of the language, I do stop and think now, are they English, or Canadian, as it washes over me... I think it’s assimilation? Or the onset of hearing difficulties...
I do this! To the point of embarrassing myself on one occasion .

Old Jun 7th 2020, 10:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no good name
Just curious as to why this thread was moved ?
The main Canada forum is for Canada centric 'questions' or for seeking general advice pertaining TO Canada - for want of a better description.. whereas the Maple Leaf is for general observations / questions etc., such as your own - or off topic i.e not necessarily about Canada - subjects.

Hope that explains things
Old Jun 8th 2020, 4:38 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I must have adapted as I find many English accents irritating. TV programmes such as "Escape to the Country" are so slow and twee with simpering voices.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 10:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I must have adapted as I find many English accents irritating. TV programmes such as "Escape to the Country" are so slow and twee with simpering voices.
Surely it depends on the part of the country to which they are escaping? I can't imagine there's much simpering going on in Yorkshire !
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Surely it depends on the part of the country to which they are escaping? I can't imagine there's much simpering going on in Yorkshire !
No simpering in Yorkshire, just whingeing from those folks. Having lived here for 32 years you can be having the greatest day of your life and then you hear it when you least expect it that London/Cockney accent and poof day ruined.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No simpering in Yorkshire, just whingeing from those folks. Having lived here for 32 years you can be having the greatest day of your life and then you hear it when you least expect it that London/Cockney accent and poof day ruined.
No shortage of whingers nationwide.

Old Jun 11th 2020, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Although you have a wacky way of putting things, 100% correct. The 'golden age' for moving to Canada (for 1st-worlders) ended sometime in the '90s.
Indeed, it's no longer easy. The colonials no longer tug at the forelock at the sound of a proper British accent of any sort. ;-)

Yet Canada is still what one makes of it. The housing is no longer 'cheap' by UK standards (yet still 'less expensive'), and the winters are still challenging despite global warming. But the health and education systems are "1st-world" if one invests a bit of research in order to access the best parts of them.

And career-wise, once one lands that first decent job (a difficult hurdle for immigrants to any country), advancement is pretty much meritocratic (YMMV, but that was my experience).
Old Jun 11th 2020, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no good name
I can be distracted for a while (TV, Movie, ect)
then I will hear a canadian accent outside the house and boom... a feeling of 'dread', 'sadness' comes over me.

I'll be in my overpriced rental, I will walk to the kitchen sink, look out the window at the street outside which after 4 years I still feel disconnected to and boom.... that feeling....

I will be sitting in a group, whether at work or social gathering, they will be acting in a way or talking about things I just dont relate to, boom that feeling of detachment....

I'll be driving, listening to a radio station, daydreaming listening to a song, it finishes, the presenter starts talking in that canadian accent, and boom.... im reminded of where I am...

On the occasions I have visited back home. I will have that feeling of 'returning' to where I should be. Similar to that feeling you get when you have had a holiday in the sun, and although most would say that is great, but "it will be nice to get back to my own bed"...
It seems as though you’ve built a negative association in your head with Canada and Canadians. All I can think of is your life here isn’t going well in some way, I’d really like to know what has happened that got you to this point mentally. Maybe then I can offer some advice.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I do this! To the point of embarrassing myself on one occasion .
I thought it was just me that did that! I have been here 11 years now, and sometimes really have to listen to check if they are English or Canadian! lol... sometimes its obvious, you can tell a rural Canadian or an East Coast Canadian, but if you take some new readers....say Peter Mansbridge for example, he has a well spoken Canadian accent, so almost sounds English, where as if I had listened to him 10 years ago, he would have stuck out like sore thumb...and definitely sounded Canadian! strange eh?
Old Jun 11th 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
No Yoirkhsire is certainly not a simpering accent. lol

I love the Geordie accent... the coolest British regional accent/dialect out there! Years ago, my friend and I pretended to be Geordies on a night out.... that was one hell of a legendary night out! lol Its like going out in costume....it alters your personality!
Old Jun 11th 2020, 3:53 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
No Yoirkhsire is certainly not a simpering accent. lol

I love the Geordie accent... the coolest British regional accent/dialect out there! Years ago, my friend and I pretended to be Geordies on a night out.... that was one hell of a legendary night out! lol Its like going out in costume....it alters your personality!
wye aye man !
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Did you become Michael the Geordie

Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was just me that did that! I have been here 11 years now, and sometimes really have to listen to check if they are English or Canadian! lol... sometimes its obvious, you can tell a rural Canadian or an East Coast Canadian, but if you take some new readers....say Peter Mansbridge for example, he has a well spoken Canadian accent, so almost sounds English, where as if I had listened to him 10 years ago, he would have stuck out like sore thumb...and definitely sounded Canadian! strange eh?

I haven't been able to distinguish most Canadian accents for years ..... people from around Hamilton used to have an accent that sounded very like a Bronx accent for new York, but I haven't met anyone from there for some years.

Maritimers and Newfoundlanders are very distinct bilingual Quebecers can be indistinguishable to me from other Anglophone Canadians

On the other hand, I really notice British accents these days .............. and I'm always being told that my accent has hardly changed from Lancashire!
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scilly
I haven't been able to distinguish most Canadian accents for years ..... people from around Hamilton used to have an accent that sounded very like a Bronx accent for new York, but I haven't met anyone from there for some years.

Maritimers and Newfoundlanders are very distinct bilingual Quebecers can be indistinguishable to me from other Anglophone Canadians

On the other hand, I really notice British accents these days .............. and I'm always being told that my accent has hardly changed from Lancashire!
I can actually detect an NZ NI Auckland type accent now from a bottom of a South Island one. It isn't that marked but there is a difference
Old Jun 12th 2020, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It seems as though you’ve built a negative association in your head with Canada and Canadians. All I can think of is your life here isn’t going well in some way, I’d really like to know what has happened that got you to this point mentally. Maybe then I can offer some advice.
You are correct mate.

So what has happened?

When we 1st arrived the rental apt we put a deposit down on...the previous tenants were crack heads.
We decided not to live in that grubby apt block.. we lost our $1500 deposit...
We were left scrambling for somewhere suitable to live... Most places we viewed (in burlington /oakville) were stupidly overpriced, tiny, and/ or disgusting. Most still are...

I also maybe, truthfully did not want 'this' from the beginning, even before we boarded the plane (it was always my wifes 'dream' just to live here)?
She said she would resent me if we didnt "just try it". Great eh...
I was 35yrs old when we moved over, I was 'finally' as settled as I had ever been in life... Good secure job, owned a home.. kids just started local schools... opportunity to travel/ have proper adventures...could share it all with long term friends and family.... had it 'all' in place.

I had 11yrs service in a sought after career, one I was happy with, or at least didnt dread going to everyday when the alarm went off, one that had many perks...
Since being in the GT bloody A, I have not secured a fulfilling job which is also enough **important** to sustain a 'comfortable' life in overrated Oakville...

Costs of living p*ss me right off!.. from the small to the big.. (mobile phones, gyms, food, condo fees, houses!!) Ect ect ect

Live here does nothing for me.

Last edited by no good name; Jun 12th 2020 at 4:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.