Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

Old Jun 6th 2020, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute
Default So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

I can be distracted for a while (TV, Movie, ect)
then I will hear a canadian accent outside the house and boom... a feeling of 'dread', 'sadness' comes over me.

I'll be in my overpriced rental, I will walk to the kitchen sink, look out the window at the street outside which after 4 years I still feel disconnected to and boom.... that feeling....

I will be sitting in a group, whether at work or social gathering, they will be acting in a way or talking about things I just dont relate to, boom that feeling of detachment....

I'll be driving, listening to a radio station, daydreaming listening to a song, it finishes, the presenter starts talking in that canadian accent, and boom.... im reminded of where I am...

On the occasions I have visited back home. I will have that feeling of 'returning' to where I should be. Similar to that feeling you get when you have had a holiday in the sun, and although most would say that is great, but "it will be nice to get back to my own bed"...

Last edited by no good name; Jun 7th 2020 at 12:00 am.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So is this what 'homesickness' feels like?.....

Originally Posted by no good name
then I will hear a canadian accent outside the house and boom... a feeling of 'dread', 'sadness' comes over me.

I'll be in my overpriced rental, I will walk to the kitchen sink, look out the window at the street outside which after 4 years I still feel disconnected to and boom.... that feeling....

I will be sitting in a group, whether at work or social gathering, they will be acting in a way or talking about things I just dont relate to, boom that feeling of detachment....

I'll be driving, listening to a radio station, daydreaming listening to a song, it finishes, the presenter starts talking in that canadian accent, and boom.... im reminded of where I am...
6th

You clearly are not happy here. Maybe you should.seriously look at your options for going 'home'.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

On the occasions I have visited back home. I will have that feeling of 'returning' to where I should be. Similar to that feeling you get when you have had a holiday in the sun, and although most would say that is great, but "it will be nice to get back to my own bed"...
I would like to make a more positive suggestion than Ms. Gerchikov. You can't fit in. You won't ever relate to whatever it is that interests Canadians, ice hockey, poutine, them pesky aboriginals. The culture is alien and the friends far away. Accept that and get Sirius in the car; then you can listen to the BBC.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 1:24 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would like to make a more positive suggestion than Ms. Gerchikov. You can't fit in. You won't ever relate to whatever it is that interests Canadians, ice hockey, poutine, them pesky aboriginals. The culture is alien and the friends far away. Accept that and get Sirius in the car; then you can listen to the BBC.
I am in agreement with dbd....I married a Canadian 20 years ago, and love him to death...but the sound he makes is still not ‘the Today Programme’ . He will never understand when I come home and on a Friday night, and might occasionally, shout...”it’s Friday night, it’s 5 o’clock, and it’s Crackerjack” (nor, will lots of you who aren’t my age!).

It’s the same language but a completely different culture. I moved here, and it’s not their fault that I sometimes miss my past. Why try? If you can like it, and have peace and are winning - then it’s good. I often wonder how Asians and Africans and the whole diaspora of cultures that have arrived and settled here find mental stability, but they do, which speaks to Canadian inclusivity I think? I lived for a long time in ‘proper’ foreign cultures and I think it was easier, as I never expected to fit in...here because we are all speaking the same language I thought it might be easy...but it isn’t so I ‘think’ I’ve adapted. I just know it’s not so hard as it once was.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

get Sirius in the car; then you can listen to the BBC.
Yeah but those pesky BBC announcers don't have a North West of England accent so how would that help me. Perhaps the OP is from there so how would it help him?
Old Jun 7th 2020, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is you're listening to Canadian radio which other than some university radio stations, and some cbc programmes is a vast wasteland of 'the best of yesterday with the hits of today' '90 minute rock rides' 'no repeat Tuesday's' or 'morning zoo crew' shows.

Radio 4 or 5 or 6 or the World Service will help you try to pretend you're not living in Cana
Old Jun 7th 2020, 4:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The problem is you're listening to Canadian radio
The broader problem is that the immigrant trade has failed in the case of the OP. It's supposed to be that you give up your friends, family and culture and you gain lots of consumer durables,

When we came we were in Port Credit, which like Oakville, is a dormitory town for Toronto. We were poor and it wasn't much of a place but it was easy to see that, since a house cost a bit more than a year's salary, it wouldn't be long before we could have a house and a ride on lawn mower and, perhaps, a central vac. Houses in London then cost, at least, ten times a year's salary so the arithmetic was simple. At the time I felt guilty that I was taking the soft option, someone with talent wouldn't need to go to a secondary economy, but I was happy enough to take the small pond option.

Now the equation is quite different, Even if you're willing to take the ego hit of moving to the colonies, the benefits aren't there. Houses are quite expensive even in Oakville and the reason for moving there is that they be cheap. There's no longer a reason to go.

Old Jun 7th 2020, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The broader problem is that the immigrant trade has failed in the case of the OP. It's supposed to be that you give up your friends, family and culture and you gain lots of consumer durables,

When we came we were in Port Credit, which like Oakville, is a dormitory town for Toronto. We were poor and it wasn't much of a place but it was easy to see that, since a house cost a bit more than a year's salary, it wouldn't be long before we could have a house and a ride on lawn mower and, perhaps, a central vac. Houses in London then cost, at least, ten times a year's salary so the arithmetic was simple. At the time I felt guilty that I was taking the soft option, someone with talent wouldn't need to go to a secondary economy, but I was happy enough to take the small pond option.

Now the equation is quite different, Even if you're willing to take the ego hit of moving to the colonies, the benefits aren't there. Houses are quite expensive even in Oakville and the reason for moving there is that they be cheap. There's no longer a reason to go.
Well the cost of housing in more and more areas of Canada likely does make it harder and less ideal for new arrivals.It's bad when the "cheaper" city's an hour away from the big city is still not exactly cheap nor affordable. But then 500,000 is cheaper than 1 million so I guess technically speaking those areas are cheaper, just not affordable really.

I do think if I could have maintained my quality of life of California in Canada, I may have adapted to Canada better than I did.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 1:03 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I do think if I could have maintained my quality of life of California in Canada, I may have adapted to Canada better than I did.
Well, umm, yes, that is quite likely true for most people!
Old Jun 7th 2020, 1:07 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Although you have a wacky way of putting things, 100% correct. The 'golden age' for moving to Canada (for 1st-worlders) ended sometime in the '90s.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Although you have a wacky way of putting things, 100% correct. The 'golden age' for moving to Canada (for 1st-worlders) ended sometime in the '90s.
Fully agree
Old Jun 7th 2020, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Just curious as to why this thread was moved ?
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Well I’m not a mod, but I would have thought it was a Maple Leaf thread. I thought the Canada bit was for more generalized Canadian queries...When you are in the Maple Leaf, you have realized you love the place, hate it, hate the price of cheese or are on a ‘rollercoaster” of indecision...

Something odd which did occur to me; I’ve become much more used to the sound of the language, I do stop and think now, are they English, or Canadian, as it washes over me... I think it’s assimilation? Or the onset of hearing difficulties...
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

It’s the same language but a completely different culture. I moved here, and it’s not their fault that I sometimes miss my past. Why try? If you can like it, and have peace and are winning - then it’s good. I often wonder how Asians and Africans and the whole diaspora of cultures that have arrived and settled here find mental stability, but they do, which speaks to Canadian inclusivity I think? I lived for a long time in ‘proper’ foreign cultures and I think it was easier, as I never expected to fit in...here because we are all speaking the same language I thought it might be easy...but it isn’t so I ‘think’ I’ve adapted. I just know it’s not so hard as it once was.
You seem to have answered your own question Millie.

OP I tend to agree with HG, you don't seem to be happy, you should consider a return to where you are more comfortable.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard

OP I tend to agree with HG, you don't seem to be happy, you should consider a return to where you are more comfortable.
I wish it was that simple. I really do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.