British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   So sad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/so-sad-724161/)

thedignans Jul 8th 2011 9:19 pm

So sad

My mum was over from Scotland for a visit like she has been for the last 4 years. We all look forward to this all year. The bad thing is when she goes home it really breaks my heart. I hate having to say that "goodbye" :( all over again. The kids really enjoy having her around and don't quite understand why we can't go visit her or she can't stay longer with us.

Anyway we have a good life here and our lives are so blessed in all other aspects but I just miss my mum. I figure you all would know how I was feeling and just needed to speak.

Sorry for boring anyone.

Julie

Oink Jul 8th 2011 9:33 pm

Re: So sad

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 9484016)
My mum was over from Scotland for a visit like she has been for the last 4 years. We all look forward to this all year. The bad thing is when she goes home it really breaks my heart. I hate having to say that "goodbye" :( all over again. The kids really enjoy having her around and don't quite understand why we can't go visit her or she can't stay longer with us.

Anyway we have a good life here and our lives are so blessed in all other aspects but I just miss my mum. I figure you all would know how I was feeling and just needed to speak.

Sorry for boring anyone.

Julie

Why can't they go and visit her?

magnumpi Jul 8th 2011 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9484067)
Why can't they go and visit her?

Why can she not stay a month or two. Flights costalotadosha for an OAP. Get your munies worth.

thedignans Jul 9th 2011 12:06 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 9484177)
Why can she not stay a month or two. Flights costalotadosha for an OAP. Get your munies worth.

Thank you for repling,

The kids can't visit her as they are only 3 and 6. My mum can't stay longer as she is a very independant woman and likes her own things around her. My mum also cared for my dad as he was sickly for along time so her time was so scheduled that I don't want to put that pressure on her to be somewhere for a set amount of time.
I think you misunderstand what I am saying anyway, i am just saying I miss my mum. Thats all, I just miss my mum and I am sure that all who have left loved ones back in the Uk know how I feel. Like I said at the beginning, I have a wondrful life here in Nova Scotia and we knew there were sacrifices we would have to make in moving countries but I am just saying you don't get used to saying goodbye. No matter how happy, content and assured that you have made the right decision you feel.

Thanks
Julie

magnumpi Jul 9th 2011 12:09 am

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 9484263)
Thank you for repling,

The kids can't visit her as they are only 3 and 6. My mum can't stay longer as she is a very independant woman and likes her own things around her. My mum also cared for my dad as he was sickly for along time so her time was so scheduled that I don't want to put that pressure on her to be somewhere for a set amount of time.
I think you misunderstand what I am saying anyway, i am just saying I miss my mum. Thats all, I just miss my mum and I am sure that all who have left loved ones back in the Uk know how I feel. Like I said at the beginning, I have a wondrful life here in Nova Scotia and we knew there were sacrifices we would have to make in moving countries but I am just saying you don't get used to saying goodbye. No matter how happy, content and assured that you have made the right decision you feel.

Thanks
Julie

Time will fly, you see, she be back before you know it. Just keep busy withbthe kids and lotsa skype calls meantime.

magnumpi Jul 9th 2011 12:35 am

Are you drunk already muppet?

Piff Poff Jul 9th 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 9484016)

Sorry for boring anyone.

Julie

Today I also did the I'm not crying it's my contact lenses, my sister blamed her watery eyes on the altitude, my Mum just blinked hard, my nephew said Aunty Piff where are you going? I said I wasn't going anywhere, he was going home, he wanted to stay in Canada. There were 6 of them all together, for the 1st time in 6 years, it was my Mum's bucket list trip. My BIL said we'll see you in 340 days:thumbsup:

I know how your feeling, it's utter crap, we had an absolutely FAB time though with hundreds of photo's, some of which may make it on here.

Our house feels so empty and quiet now....

canbritdenise Jul 9th 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 9484263)
Thank you for repling,

Thanks
Julie

Big hugs to ya. Totally understand.

Greenhill Jul 9th 2011 1:45 am

Mums are pretty awesome to have around. OH's mum dropped off a home-made chicken pie for us today, which made our evening so much easier.

I'm pretty crap at sentimental stuff, what with being male, but I remember your strength that day, Julie, (the leg break incident) and how you coordinated everyone and comforted the nice lady with the broken fibula and tibia. You are a good, strong person and I hope you can all figure something out to make things a little less saddening and easier for all :)

Tangram Jul 9th 2011 1:51 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 9484293)
Are you drunk already muppet?

I deleted my comments as, after posting, I thought they would be construed badly, even though they were serious questions, as stated within the post.

I made the assumption I would not get a straight answer and thus you proved.

No personal attack was intended. Now let the thread resume. Apologies to thedignans.

Poppit Jul 9th 2011 1:54 am

Some mums are awesome but not all of them. However, my heart feels like it's going to break everytime I say goodbye to my son. Two more years at university and then hopefully we won't have to say goodbye too often.

Hope you feel better tomorrow, it's not easy.

:)

Poppit

pinkmcfarquhar Jul 9th 2011 2:24 am

I know exactly how you feel.

One of the things I miss most - back in the uk we stayed about 2hrs away from my parents. When my hubby was offshore, my mum used to come and stay with me for a few days and walk the dogs, do some housework, cook my supper when I was working. We had some really nice times then - its only looking back you realise how special they were.

thedignans Jul 9th 2011 1:05 pm

Thank you guys,

I think we are all so busy in our day to day lives we don't think to much of home and of families as it is to hard and depressing so we keep busy. However when we know they are coming we allow ourselves to get excited. We wait so long for them to come that when they do we fully embrace them and squash as much into their visit as possible.

This being said it makes their time go by much faster and you feel like they have only just arrived and it is time to go back to the airport with them.
Like I said before we knew the sacrifices we would be making when we made our decision to move, but it is still very difficult to say those "Goodbyes" however many times we say them.

I was fortunate enough not to have read the post made by Tangram, they were deleted by the time I got back on. But he/she should know that showing genuine emotion in this forum is usually a hard thing for people to do as they are aware that some people out there seems to take it as weakness and a chance to attack. For that reason I no longer post as often as I used to. I however don't think any post or question is a wrong one. People should feel free to ask away and share what they want without the fear of being mocked.

Anyway for the record I feel a bit better today and tomorrow a little bit better again, until my routine is back and I will then look forward to our visit to her next year.

Once again thanks for the kind words from you all, I appreciate them.

Julie

nikki dreaming Jul 9th 2011 1:31 pm

Hugs Julie, it never gets easier does it, can completely understand what you are saying:wub:

Oink Jul 9th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 9485007)
Thank you guys,

I think we are all so busy in our day to day lives we don't think to much of home and of families as it is to hard and depressing so we keep busy. However when we know they are coming we allow ourselves to get excited. We wait so long for them to come that when they do we fully embrace them and squash as much into their visit as possible.

This being said it makes their time go by much faster and you feel like they have only just arrived and it is time to go back to the airport with them.
Like I said before we knew the sacrifices we would be making when we made our decision to move, but it is still very difficult to say those "Goodbyes" however many times we say them.

I was fortunate enough not to have read the post made by Tangram, they were deleted by the time I got back on. But he/she should know that showing genuine emotion in this forum is usually a hard thing for people to do as they are aware that some people out there seems to take it as weakness and a chance to attack. For that reason I no longer post as often as I used to. I however don't think any post or question is a wrong one. People should feel free to ask away and share what they want without the fear of being mocked.

Anyway for the record I feel a bit better today and tomorrow a little bit better again, until my routine is back and I will then look forward to our visit to her next year.

Once again thanks for the kind words from you all, I appreciate them.

Julie

We all make sacrifices to live in another country. One of the big ones is, because the distances and expense, knowing that we'll probably only see our mums and dads four or five times before they die. It could be worse, we could have chosen to live in Australia or New Zealand and then realistically it'd be only two or three times. :(