Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So how is your accent?

So how is your accent?

Old May 1st 2013, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default So how is your accent?

No not the Hyundai one you are driving or thinking of buying but the one you speak with.
I came across this article in the Globe & Mail stating that Brits were now starting to seek out persons to help them with their elocution.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle11644743/

Now while there might be some element of truth to this article is it really that bad that some Brits can't be understood
If they were applying for jobs in Canada then yes I could see more emphasis being placed on this but jobs within your own country?
Imagine paying up to 90 quid an hour to speak like some posh git or like some of our southern pansy shandy drinkers errr no thanks.
I wonder what the Geordies, Scousers and Essex people think of this?

While many of his clients have stunning qualifications on paper, and a number are professionals such as doctors and lawyers, they believe their accents are holding them back.“People at the top speak with a kind of posh accent and so others want to speak like that,” he said.

Eee by gum lad thats areet loada bollox if thas asking me.
Old May 1st 2013, 1:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So how is your accent?

I find that immigrants to Canada from other countries tend to learn to understand English spoken with a Canadian accent so when presented with a British accent they get confused..i often have to repeat myself time and time again when presented with immigrants from non English speaking countries..once i had to write down what i wanted as the girl just didn't get it at all.
Old May 1st 2013, 1:34 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I find that immigrants to Canada from other countries tend to learn to understand English spoken with a Canadian accent so when presented with a British accent they get confused..i often have to repeat myself time and time again when presented with immigrants from non English speaking countries..once i had to write down what i wanted as the girl just didn't get it at all.
Totally true.

Coffee Mocha becomes "Coffee with milk" Double Double gets x triple? And 2=3 huh?

Yes I mainly have this issue at Tim's, so what?
Old May 1st 2013, 1:42 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't change my poncy southern accent for all the tea in China. It is a total chick magnet in Quebec. They may loathe the Brits but they adore the accent.
Old May 1st 2013, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I tried to avoid verbal interaction with people in shops and the like. If I do have to purchase something directly from a person then I point at it and wave fingers for "how many". If I buy coffee then I settle for anything warm rather than trying to specify that I don't want milk or sugar. I failed completely the other week in trying to explain to a succession of people in different locations (mostly immigrants) that I wanted to buy a bundle of logs for the fire, finally driving to a shop where the Indian owner keeps them on palettes visible from the till. In the local shop they moved the grits and I wasn't able to ask their new location until I wrote "grits" down (that's a cradle shop).

There are exceptions, of course, the cheese guy is Greek but he, and everyone in his shop (workers from the four corners), speaks good, non-metric English. Most people I encounter don't so in shops I think it best to assume that no one is going to understand me if I ask for something. If I don't see it on the shelf then I go home and order it from the internet.
Old May 1st 2013, 1:44 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I wouldn't change my poncy southern accent for all the tea in China. It is a total chick magnet in Quebec. They may loathe the Brits but they adore the accent.
Same, but it's a butch northern accent. :@)
Old May 1st 2013, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here just over 25 years and people still have a problem with my accent
As I deal with a substantive amount of people on a daily basis I have developed a standard response to people asking about my accent.
Are you Scottish?
Do I look like the type of guy who would wear a skirt in public?
Are you Irish?
Answer as per the Scottish one.
Are you Australian?
Do I look like a criminal?
Are you Welsh?
I much prefer women than sheep.
So eventually once they establish Im English then comes the Oh you dont sound like you are English.
Have you ever heard of Coronation St?
Oh yes my mum or gran watch that.
Then that where I am from.
Im sure there are days when a client leaves the Immigration office they have no idea of what was said to them but happy to have been issued with a work/study permit
Old May 1st 2013, 2:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My accent changes depending on the situation. Most Canadians think I am Irish, actually many English people did too.

I did have speech lessons at school and can, if I choose to, speak in perfect RP.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Absolutely old boy. One seeks to retain one's RP at all costs.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No not the Hyundai one you are driving or thinking of buying but the one you speak with.
I came across this article in the Globe & Mail stating that Brits were now starting to seek out persons to help them with their elocution.

Now while there might be some element of truth to this article is it really that bad that some Brits can't be understood
If they were applying for jobs in Canada then yes I could see more emphasis being placed on this but jobs within your own country?
Imagine paying up to 90 quid an hour to speak like some posh git or like some of our southern pansy shandy drinkers errr no thanks.
I wonder what the Geordies, Scousers and Essex people think of this?

While many of his clients have stunning qualifications on paper, and a number are professionals such as doctors and lawyers, they believe their accents are holding them back.“People at the top speak with a kind of posh accent and so others want to speak like that,” he said.

Eee by gum lad thats areet loada bollox if thas asking me.

eerrmareseatoatsandoeseatoatsbulilllambseativyakid lleativytoowouldntyew??
Old May 1st 2013, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
eerrmareseatoatsandoeseatoatsbulilllambseativyakid lleativytoowouldntyew??
Is that written on your resume
Which also brings up another good point I wonder what certain job applications look like when they ask them to write why they are applying for the job or describing themselves?

Well like Im 19 and a fun person. I C u are offering a decent wad for the job so Im intrested innit. BFF if I get it.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
N

You may scoff, you have a job but in today's uncertain global employment marketplace I think its obvious that people are trying to better themselves. Anything to give you a competitive advantage.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The Globe article isn't exactly headline news is it...people wanting to "posh-up" their accent. (Unless your Northern of course.)

Is there a Canadianism for the word posh? From recollection it isn't used frequently in Canada.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

So how is your accent?...............on a friday night sounds good to me but no one in the bar understands me,seems i speak faster (back to normal Border Scottish speed)
even worse when my Ulster buddy joins us not forgeting my dutch mate lol. Though i recon the local french/english/belgium mix &match is a worse accent than mine.
jimmy
Old May 1st 2013, 2:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Absolutely old boy. One seeks to retain one's RP at all costs.
My kids laugh at me if I try to mimic their Canadian accents. I shall just continue to employ the time-honoured technique of repeating myself increasingly slowly and loudly if people persist in misunderstanding my RP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.