Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So how many bad things did us british historically start

So how many bad things did us british historically start

Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So how many bad things did us british historically start

Originally Posted by Shard
Surely the opposite. "Not cancelling" ?
don't commission any new ones. .
Still not following
Old Jul 9th 2021, 9:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I do see what you are saying, but the Krays were around 1960s during relatively civilised times - the mid 20th century, and they were just cold blooded murderers.
Many of the statues were from a different time... the 17-18th centuries, as I said in earlier posts, it was a very different world back then, a more barbaric world, where human life counted for a lot less, so it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

The world constantly evolves and becomes more and more civilised, even in my life time, the things people used to say and do that were acceptable when I was a young boy in the 70s, are no longer acceptable anymore... again its all about context in my opinion, as long as people have the full facts about that individual, good and bad... they can make their own informed decisions of the balance of good and bad, we cant just erase it.
Totally agree.

All the paintings too!
Old Jul 9th 2021, 9:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
As we are talking Civil Rights era in the UK , I now propose a statue to Bobby Sands for his charitable contributions, provided, we "have the full facts about that individual, good and bad"
Old Jul 9th 2021, 9:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
All the paintings too!
Which paintings btw?
Old Jul 10th 2021, 3:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Robert E Lee taken down in Charlottesville ! The times they are a changin'.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 3:45 pm
He/him

Robert E Lee taken down in Charlottesville ! The times they are a changin'.
Virginia is a very different place, these days.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 6:21 pm
Banned

Which paintings btw?
Perhaps you hadn't realised that some artwork pieces have been removed? (This from the US)
https://www.thecollegefix.com/trendi...med-offensive/
Old Jul 10th 2021, 6:32 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps you hadn't realised that some artwork pieces have been removed? (This from the US)
https://www.thecollegefix.com/trendi...med-offensive/
Ah, I thought you were talking about paintings of importance in collections and museums, rather than second tier stuff on University grounds.
I can see one day artists such as Egon Schiele no longer being considered for public spaces, and I would understand why, but it would also by a tremendous loss to the art world. Which none of those examples seem to be.
Old Jul 11th 2021, 1:56 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

When most of these events took place, it was a very different world back then, look at how many European nations were doing the same thing, it was a barbaric dog eat dog world. I don’t understand why people insist on comparing what happened then, with the civilised standards and mindset we have in 2021, its incomparable.

Britain was the first country to abolish slavery, and also granted independence to nearly all of its colonies not long after the war, however not all of its colonies thought that was a good thing. Like most things we should try to look at a more balanced and bigger picture, although the dark negative past should not be ignored, neither should the positive things that came out of colonisation either. Many people from the ex colonies are still very positive towards Britain. My landlord is Sri Lankan, he is very pro British, we have had a few in depth conversations about various topics, he chooses to look at the bigger picture, my neighbours are from Hong Kong, and they actually told me that they immigrated from there when control was handed back to China, as they feared for its future… that’s not hard to argue against.

During the current Euro football tournament both of them have been sporting England flags from their vehicles! I think that clearly shows their thoughts on Britain, these are just two examples on the street where I live in Ajax Ontario.

Just thought I’d add a little balance to this subject of lets shame Britain, just mine, my landlord’s and my neighbour’s opinion of course.
you might want to check some history on that
Old Jul 11th 2021, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, no political statues, but the argument from Mr Shepherd is that the statues such as Colston's, was as a philanthropist.(is that the same as a benefactors ?)
Scientists, artists, poets, can all have their own issues, particularly scientists.
I'd go one further, no statues to people, just ideas and values. I think we can all agree on broad ideas and values (except a very small minority) we all seem to want the same end goals.
I wouldn't dismiss Paul's point entirely. Some of the historical figures have done both good and bad, and a purge is not entirely necessary, particulary when one part of the community values the statue (eg. Churchill). In time all these figures will become footnotes or the public en masse will decide that the statue is no longer adding any value. At least controversial statues do form a talking point for the history.

Sculptures for ideas might work. What are you envisioning, a hammer and sickle perhaps?

This is more the point I am making, I agree, why shouldn't we have a statue of someone like Churchill, a momentous figure in British history, that the British nation owes a lot to, and its beneficial for the younger generation to see a physical form of what they looked like, and to celebrate them. .

Of course this wont always be the case for all statues, the more we evolve as a society our values change, and some statues are no longer solely recognised for the good they did....as I keep saying its all about context. If statues are to be removed there are official channels for this to be done, not vandalism.

Old Jul 11th 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
you might want to check some history on that
I think there could have been one or two of the independent US states following the the revolution that did it first, but I believe Britain was the first established sovereign nations to do this? Unless you know more details on this?
Old Jul 11th 2021, 5:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

its beneficial for the younger generation to see a physical form of what they looked like, and to celebrate them. .
I don't get this at all. Churchill was not a physically attractive person, why would anyone want to look at an effigy of him?
Old Jul 12th 2021, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't get this at all. Churchill was not a physically attractive person, why would anyone want to look at an effigy of him?
So they can put a face to a name? in any case it more of a celebration of him, and what he achieved more than anything else.

I guess that is why some statues are now become controversial because our values have progressed from the time when that statue was erected.