Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So how many bad things did us british historically start

So how many bad things did us british historically start

Old Jul 7th 2021, 5:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So how many bad things did us british historically start

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Well you have now.

It's not just statues - it's paintings, tapestries, all the other stuff the 'woke' lot want to tear down / take down. It's history......
They aren't contemplating the good some of these people did - they can only see what suits their agenda... and it's an agenda not necessarily of their own making.
So true !

I don't have a strong affection for historical statues (can take or leave them) but paintings and tapestries are sacrosanct !

Old Jul 7th 2021, 5:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Lightening it up a bit...
Football was invented in Rugby in 1863, so theoretically, England started footie hooliganism and chants.. club rivalry and all that entailed..

Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
So true !

I don't have a strong affection for historical statues (can take or leave them) but paintings and tapestries are sacrosanct !
The difference is their positioning in the public sphere, the statues come to us, we go to paintings and tapestries.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Well you have now.

It's not just statues - it's paintings, tapestries, all the other stuff the 'woke' lot want to tear down / take down. It's history......
They aren't contemplating the good some of these people did - they can only see what suits their agenda... and it's an agenda not necessarily of their own making.

Well said Siouxie. I totally agree, its not all one dimensional.... they didn't erect statues of some of these figures because they were slave traders.. an updated plaque with more information is all that is required in some cases. As you say its history and thats very important.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 4:40 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well said Siouxie. I totally agree, its not all one dimensional.... they didn't erect statues of some of these figures because they were slave traders.. an updated plaque with more information is all that is required in some cases. As you say its history and thats very important.
The statues were for how they spent money
Money from the free (stolen directly or indirectly) labour of other people. The people whose labour created the wealth are nowhere on the statues.
Imagine a statue created for the Krays because of their charitable giving. Imagine the same defenders of Colston, defending the Krays because its history.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The statues were for how they spent money
Money from the free (stolen directly or indirectly) labour of other people. The people whose labour created the wealth are nowhere on the statues.
Imagine a statue created for the Krays because of their charitable giving. Imagine the same defenders of Colston, defending the Krays because its history.
I do see what you are saying, but the Krays were around 1960s during relatively civilised times - the mid 20th century, and they were just cold blooded murderers.
Many of the statues were from a different time... the 17-18th centuries, as I said in earlier posts, it was a very different world back then, a more barbaric world, where human life counted for a lot less, so it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

The world constantly evolves and becomes more and more civilised, even in my life time, the things people used to say and do that were acceptable when I was a young boy in the 70s, are no longer acceptable anymore... again its all about context in my opinion, as long as people have the full facts about that individual, good and bad... they can make their own informed decisions of the balance of good and bad, we cant just erase it.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:07 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I do see what you are saying, but the Krays were around 1960s during relatively civilised times - the mid 20th century, and they were just cold blooded murderers.
Many of the statues were from a different time... the 17-18th centuries, as I said in earlier posts, it was a very different world back then, a more barbaric world, where human life counted for a lot less, so it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

The world constantly evolves and becomes more and more civilised, even in my life time, the things people used to say and do that were acceptable when I was a young boy in the 70s, are no longer acceptable anymore... again its all about context in my opinion, as long as people have the full facts about that individual, good and bad... they can make their own informed decisions of the balance of good and bad, we cant just erase it.
So you are saying we should keep the things from the barbaric time, and things from the Civil Rights era in the USA and UK too, like a hypothetical statue to a Kray brother, if we "have the full facts about that individual, good and bad"
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:14 pm
He/him

As we are talking Civil Rights era in the UK , I now propose a statue to Bobby Sands for his charitable contributions, provided, we "have the full facts about that individual, good and bad"
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The solution is to phase out political statues. Scientists, artists, poets, ok. Leaders, benefactors etc, no statue.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:23 pm
He/him

The solution is to phase out political statues. Scientists, artists, poets, ok. Leaders, benefactors etc, no statue.
Agree, no political statues, but the argument from Mr Shepherd is that the statues such as Colston's, was as a philanthropist.(is that the same as a benefactors ?)
Scientists, artists, poets, can all have their own issues, particularly scientists.
I'd go one further, no statues to people, just ideas and values. I think we can all agree on broad ideas and values (except a very small minority) we all seem to want the same end goals.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 9th 2021 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:30 pm
Yo

Agree, no political statues, but the argument from Mr Shepherd is that the statues such as Colston's, was as a philanthropist.(is that the same as a benefactors ?)
Scientists, artists, poets, can all have their own issues, particularly scientists.
I'd go one further, no statues to people, just ideas and values. I think we can all agree on broad ideas and values (except a very small minority) we all seem to want the same end goals.
I wouldn't dismiss Paul's point entirely. Some of the historical figures have done both good and bad, and a purge is not entirely necessary, particulary when one part of the community values the statue (eg. Churchill). In time all these figures will become footnotes or the public en masse will decide that the statue is no longer adding any value. At least controversial statues do form a talking point for the history.

Sculptures for ideas might work. What are you envisioning, a hammer and sickle perhaps?
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:33 pm
He/him

I wouldn't dismiss Paul's point entirely. Some of the historical figures have done both good and bad, and a purge is not entirely necessary, particulary when one part of the community values the statue (eg. Churchill). In time all these figures will become footnotes or the public en masse will decide that the statue is no longer adding any value. At least controversial statues do form a talking point for the history.

Sculptures for ideas might work. What are you envisioning, a hammer and sickle perhaps?
Wouldn't that fall under the cancelling of political statues?
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:37 pm
Yo

Wouldn't that fall under the cancelling of political statues?
Surely the opposite. "Not cancelling" ?
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:44 pm
He/him

The solution is to phase out political statues..
Surely the opposite. "Not cancelling" ?
Not following, but not sure it matter either.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:50 pm
Yo

Not following, but not sure it matter either.
I'm for a gradual phase out. Get rid of the statues that people agree to get rid of and don't commission any new ones. So for example with Colston, although it was pulled down by a mob, it seems fair to say that the Bristolians in the end acquiesced to its removal (there was no massive objection).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.