Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So....flooding the basement really is a 'thing' here!

So....flooding the basement really is a 'thing' here!

Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default So....flooding the basement really is a 'thing' here!

I know this now.

Because it happened yesterday morning ...I'd only finished 'doing' the media room last week too.

Pipe came off below sink in basement bathroom, courtesy of previous owner's Bodgit plumber

9.30am Mrs Withabix phoned me at work to tell me.

9.35am I logged in to insurance company website and clicked 'Start a New claim'. All I had to do was select 'Water' and the date.

11.00am Loss Adjuster phoned.

12 noon Reno company arrived.

6.00pm Flooring, skirting boards, door trim, bathroom vanity unit, door trim, Ikea chipboard furniture, spare mattress (stored under bed on floor...) all ripped out and gone. Team of 5....

7.30pm Blowers and Dehumidifers going.

Came back this morning to pack up the undamaged stuff and take it to storage.

Coming back Friday to finish off clearing.

Unfortunately won't be repaired until the New Year, but I'm impressed with the speed so far.....

Just wish it hadn't happened just before Christmas

Last edited by withabix; Dec 2nd 2015 at 4:29 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So....flooding the basement really is a 'thing' here!

Originally Posted by withabix
I know this now.

Because it happened yesterday morning ...I'd only finished 'doing' the media room last week too.

Pipe came off below sink in basement bathroom, courtesy of previous owner's Bodgit plumber

9.30am Mrs Withabix phoned me at work to tell me.

9.35am I logged in to insurance company website and clicked 'Start a New claim'. All I had to do was select 'Water' and the date.

11.00am Loss Adjuster phoned.

12 noon Reno company arrived.

6.00pm Flooring, skirting boards, door trim, bathroom vanity unit, door trim, Ikea chipboard furniture, spare mattress (stored under bed on floor...) all ripped out and gone. Team of 5....

7.30pm Blowers and Dehumidifers going.

Came back this morning to pack up the undamaged stuff and take it to storage.

Coming back Friday to finish off clearing.

Unfortunately won't be repaired until the New Year, but I'm impressed with the speed so far.....

Just wish it hadn't happened just before Christmas
Happened to us, the day the basement reno was being finished. We discovered the hot water tank had sprung a leak. Folks move quickly here!! Was the loss adjuster Mikepm?
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Was the loss adjuster Mikepm?
He he...no, some guy called Darryl form Port Moody.

Could have been worse - water stayed below the drywall as it reached the basement door to the garden and also because we have a pump sump in the services room for the basement bathroom (as we have a walkout basement at the back and are on the downslope of the hill (well, bottom of the mountain....) below the sewer line in the street, so the water was being pumped away and leaving by the basement door at the same time.

Last edited by withabix; Dec 2nd 2015 at 4:39 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

He he...no, some guy called Darryl form Port Moody.

Could have been worse - water stayed below the drywall as it reached the basement door to the garden and also because we have a pump sump in the services room for the basement bathroom (as we have a walkout basement at the back and are on the downslope of the hill (well, bottom of the mountain....) below the sewer line in the street, so the water was being pumped away and leaving by the basement door at the same time.
Phew!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:23 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did mrs weetabix have to turn the water off at the mains? Good idea to call the insurance co first, I would have probably gone straight to a plumber and then tried to sort it with insurance.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 1:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...but I'm impressed with the speed so far......
Were there cameras filming it all? It sounds like an insurance company commercial for TV
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be normal here. One friend had it happen twice in one year in a rented place, so the landlord replaced furnace, washing machine, etc twice that year.

We had a minor flood when the washing machine door didn't lock. Fortunately I was at home, so I could turn it off and clean up the mess as soon as the flood alarm went off... just had a few cardboard boxes to throw out afterwards.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Our minor flood was when the float switch on the sump pump for grey water discharge from laundry room & downstairs toilet malfunctioned. (Grey Water is pumped up from the sump to the septic tank.) Fortunately, we seldom use the toilet downstairs so it was greywater, mainly washing machine discharge, than sewage! Wasn't worth claiming under insurance & didn't get to the drywall. We had to clean out the storage cupboard under the stairs & chuck some stuff away & then leave it to dry with a de-humidifier running 24/7 for a week or so & that was sorted.

Rather glad we don't have a hot water tank. Water is on demand heated by the furnace, although it does incorporate a small tank, and thats in a room with a floor drain and unfinished concrete floor so any leakage goes into the aforementioned sump and is pumped out.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a basement but we have water coming in the wall from outside. Not huge amounts but small when it rains.

Sounds like the intact commercial.....start the claim 30 mins or less.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was impressed - didn't think they REALLY worked like the advert! I didn't even have to make a phone call...

We are with Square One Insurance - they were by far the cheapest too!!
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was impressed - didn't think they REALLY worked like the advert! I didn't even have to make a phone call...

That is who we have for our tenants insurance, I picked them as they let you pick and choose the content types you need coverage for.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 4:32 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know the name of the restoration contractor and who the project manger is overseeing your claim?

Depending on extend of damage they should be able to get it down before new year