Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So close to Vancouver, yet so far.

So close to Vancouver, yet so far.

Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So close to Vancouver, yet so far.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not even private?
There is very little private medicine in BC. And what would be the point? If you are a US resident not covered in the public scheme here in BC you will have to pay. If you are prepared to pay at the point of treatment then there are plenty of doctors and hospitals in the US that are more than happy to take your money.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:37 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If all goes well, hopefully start in November.

My wife may take it as well, she has a lot of admin experience, but lacks the technology experience/skills and it would help her move ahead in her job or another elsewhere, but will benefit her.

But she hasn't decided, she has narrowed down to a couple potentials. She is really academic and does well in school, so she is looking into psych nursing as well, we have a couple friends who are working in that field, and they keep encouraging her to look into it.
it sounds like a good plan then

Someone I know just graduated from the OAT programme. She got 2 microsoft certifications (excel and access I think) and landed a five month gig right out of school with the city of vancouver. Let me know once you get in/get closer to graduating and I'll see if my work has any coop placements for you.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 4:03 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

They even have a house listed with ocean views, and it's only 399,000.

If only those prices existed on this side of the border....lol
It is unbelievable how bad house prices are here. Nearly everyday in the metro I am reading about the average house prices and how much they are going up - I was warned before I came out here though.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
It is unbelievable how bad house prices are here. Nearly everyday in the metro I am reading about the average house prices and how much they are going up - I was warned before I came out here though.
It is indeed insane how things are going in the lower mainland. Even places that were somewhat affordable even 5 years ago, have shot up in price as people leave Metro Vancouver for outlying area's.

Squamish is a good example, wasn't until the last 5 years or so that people discovered the place and how easy it is to get to Vancouver, add in very little housing development and prices have no place to go but up.

There's always a way and if your dream is a house, then why not move somewhere else? While healthcare in the US might seem like a pain, it's all about compromise. You pay more for health care but can afford a house and others manage too.
Not even private?
Private doesn't really exist, and no private insurance exists so you have to pay out of pocket and it's pricey, its designed for the wealthy who don't want to wait for things in the public system and have cash to pay for it.

This is the issue with the US, it's expensive to have health insurance and pricey to access it, and for someone with health issues, we would end up paying so much in healthcare, we still could not afford a house.

For example, I went to the health exchange for Washington state and this is the best option and it's still pricey.

$267 per month.

4,000 deductible.

Insurance only kicks in after the deductible is met, and then you pay 20% of the total bill.

I don't have 4,000 extra each year to pay towards medical and then still have to come up with 20% of the payment for services.

Don't under estimate the cost of health care in the US, Obamacare brought down the monthly premiums, but unless you have the $$$ to pay for doctors appointments and such, you end up just paying for insurance you cannot use.

If we could own a house + still afford health insurance we would go south of the border, but it would be one or the other down there, so we wouldn't actually be better off.

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
it sounds like a good plan then

Someone I know just graduated from the OAT programme. She got 2 microsoft certifications (excel and access I think) and landed a five month gig right out of school with the city of vancouver. Let me know once you get in/get closer to graduating and I'll see if my work has any coop placements for you.

Looking at the stats, graduates from that program have one of the highest employment rates that I have seen for a college program, so I think its certainly a good one to have.

Thanks for pointing it out, I never came across it on their website prior and had no idea about it.

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed insane how things are going in the lower mainland. Even places that were somewhat affordable even 5 years ago, have shot up in price as people leave Metro Vancouver for outlying area's.

Squamish is a good example, wasn't until the last 5 years or so that people discovered the place and how easy it is to get to Vancouver, add in very little housing development and prices have no place to go but up.

Private doesn't really exist, and no private insurance exists so you have to pay out of pocket and it's pricey, its designed for the wealthy who don't want to wait for things in the public system and have cash to pay for it.

This is the issue with the US, it's expensive to have health insurance and pricey to access it, and for someone with health issues, we would end up paying so much in healthcare, we still could not afford a house.

For example, I went to the health exchange for Washington state and this is the best option and it's still pricey.

$267 per month.

4,000 deductible.

Insurance only kicks in after the deductible is met, and then you pay 20% of the total bill.

I don't have 4,000 extra each year to pay towards medical and then still have to come up with 20% of the payment for services.

Don't under estimate the cost of health care in the US, Obamacare brought down the monthly premiums, but unless you have the $$$ to pay for doctors appointments and such, you end up just paying for insurance you cannot use.

If we could own a house + still afford health insurance we would go south of the border, but it would be one or the other down there, so we wouldn't actually be better off.

Looking at the stats, graduates from that program have one of the highest employment rates that I have seen for a college program, so I think its certainly a good one to have.

Thanks for pointing it out, I never came across it on their website prior and had no idea about it.

I suppose it depends on the health issues, but I'm sure for some people the money they've saved on the mortgage makes up for the health insurance.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:43 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmth321....am I looking at the wrong link, the house I came up with was very charming, but $158,000 which seem seemed very low, even though it was very small.

We have lots of very nice houses here which are very cheap, but they are all in places that are inaccessible or with no infrastructure.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Jsmth321....am I looking at the wrong link, the house I came up with was very charming, but $158,000 which seem seemed very low, even though it was very small.

We have lots of very nice houses here which are very cheap, but they are all in places that are inaccessible or with no infrastructure.
Pt. Roberts because of its location is largely vacation homes and the few business there are for Canadian's, biggest industry is parcel receive business for Canadian's and gas stations.

Not much else there though, no doctor, no hospitals, no vets, a couple real estate offices, and a small grocery store and post office.

But it's attached to BC mainland, and all your major needs minus healthcare is easily accessible on the Canadian side. Cable service on the Point is provided by a Canadian company.

If you have kids, they are bused to mainland Washington through Canada.

Point Roberts is completely isolated from the mainland US by land, only way in by land is through Canada.

But the Canadian side is a bustling metropolis so it's like living in a rural area with urban needs 5 mins away across the border.

I attached a copy of a map to show Pt. Roberts and it's proximity to metro Vancouver.

Basically when they drew the border, Point Roberts ended up on the US side of the border, but is physically attached only to Canada.

That size home on BC side of the border, well in my area would easily be 300,000+
Attached Thumbnails So close to Vancouver, yet so far.-snapper1183254901169.png  
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

I suppose it depends on the health issues, but I'm sure for some people the money they've saved on the mortgage makes up for the health insurance.
We have monthly prescriptions and we could afford the mortgage without health insurance and medication, or health insurance/medication but not both.

For some I agree it might still work out in their favor.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 9:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We have monthly prescriptions and we could afford the mortgage without health insurance and medication, or health insurance/medication but not both.

For some I agree it might still work out in their favor.
Thank you so much for explaining about Pt. Roberts...how very interesting. My husband knew about it, and has friends who pop over there to buy petrol (but had never thought to mention it to me before!)

I know you are from the US Jsmth, but can Canadians' buy homes and live in Pt. Roberts...I'm thinking only for vacations?

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 3rd 2015 at 9:49 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Thank you so much for explaining about Pt. Roberts...how very interesting. My husband knew about it, and has friends who pop over there to buy petrol (but had never thought to mention it to me before!)

I know you are from the US Jsmth, but can Canadians' buy homes and live in Pt. Roberts...I'm thinking only for vacations?
Yes, Canadian's can own homes in the US, they are just limited to how long they can live in them each year. (not sure what the max is) and places like Palm Springs have industries thriving on wealthy Canadian's buying winter homes and they sit empty the rest of the year.

My mom lives in Palm Spring's and go down in winter, Canadian's are dime a dozen, go in summer and the place is somewhat of a ghost town.

You can spot BC and Alberta license plates all day long in the winter.

Now with the Canadian $$ falling, I am not sure what will happen down there.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think Canadians as well as other nationalities can buy homes in Pt. Roberts or Manhattan or even Alaska for vacations. It's only a problem if you want to work in the US or take "vacations" which are all year around.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

and you have to watch out how long you are out of Canada, or you lose your rights in Canada, including health and insurance

from How Long Can a Canadian Stay in the US? | Travel Insurance File

Canadians are allowed to visit the US for up to six months (182 days) per calendar year. Nationals of other countries are allowed only 90 days. You can accumulate those days by one long trip, or an aggregation of several short ones. There is some pending legislation in the US Congress that would extend that period for Canadian snowbirds to 240 days.

The other set of rules is applied by your province; these rules require you to be physically present in your home province for a specified number of days throughout the year in order to qualify for provincial health benefits. These rules have nothing to do with the American border control regulations or the way US border agents apply them. They are not linked except by the coincidence that they both have focused on the six-month threshold.

Recently, BC and Manitoba have extended their out-of-province allowance to seven months from six (as Ontario did several years ago). But that does not mean that you are allowed to stay in the US for that additional month. It only means that you have an extra month to travel throughout Canada or abroad. All other provinces and territories (with the exception of Newfoundland & Labrador) require you to be present for six months. Newfoundland & Labrador require only a four-month domestic residency.

All our friends who spend winters down south, very closely watch the days of being out of Canada and their province
Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Point Roberts enjoys a very mild climate ......... and there have always been more Canadians owning vacation homes there than you might think.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
Point Roberts enjoys a very mild climate ......... and there have always been more Canadians owning vacation homes there than you might think.
I think most of the homes there are vacation homes for Canadian's...lol

I didn't see too many Washington state plates on cars, almost all had BC plates. I have no clue how many actually live there vs just getting gas. Unless a brand isn't available in Canada like Tillamook cheese and dairy, the grocery there is too much $$$ to buy groceries, they wanted nearly 9 dollars for 12 pack of soda.

I've been told most who live there buy groceries in Canada.

Looking into it, if it were not for the loss of healthcare and the great cost of healthcare in the US, we would buy there and work in Canada.

I saw a truck with WA plates on it, but the sign was for an electrictian serving Surrey/Richmond and Vancouver region. With a 604 area code, assume it's a Canadian who can live in the US and lives there and works in Canada.

Why pay 700k on the Canadian side if you can pay 200,000-300,000 for a large house on that side if you can live in the US legally, assuming you can afford healthcare.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 8:28 am
Account Closed

I was looking through archives for the Squamish newspaper, as it's interesting to see how this town was in the past. Even as little as 15 years ago, it was a totally different town, articles about working life, and railroad and timber, to LNG and mostly enviro stuff now.

Back in 2000 in the real estate section they had new condos for sale at 199,999 and I got curious about what they sell for now, there were a couple on MLS and they are listed at 179,000 to 199,000, so it appears that answered by question, condos are not a good investment in this town.

I know my wifes mom bought one in that building brand new and sold last year and had to reduce her price to 189,000 to sell it, she lost 12,000 on it.

Not related to this topic of the post, but thought it was sorta of in a round about way related.

We are going to work on reducing our debt, saving money, and then in 5-7 years time, maybe find some small BC town nobody want to live in and be able to buy something.

Must be some small town in BC that isn't pricey....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.