so bloody hard work

Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all
Default Re: so bloody hard work

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I respectfully suggest that bankruptcy laws are usually designed to encourage entreprenurialism and not to provide and easy out for those that cannot live within their means (not suggesting the OP is one of those). It's a risk thing. If debtors prison
was introduced would people be more careful about how much debt they take on?

Of course, I am sure you would find it honourable if your employer declared bankruptcy owing you your salary.
I accept your knowledge of the reason for bankruptcy laws. My comments related to why responsible people make the difficult decision to choose bankruptcy.

My response was both heart-felt and meant to provide some comfort to Gary123 and his family, and in no way was I suggesting bankruptcy is an "easy out." It isn't. If debtors prison was the option when my disability outlasted my savings, I would have ended up there.

Oh, an employer declaring bankruptcy while owing me salary, you say? Indeed. It would be out of character for me to consider companies to have the emotional depth of, or the capacity for honour like a human being. I knew the law gave me lowest priority for getting paid in that situation. The company did what it had to do, and worked within the laws of the land. And then we all moved on.

And, with time, I trust that Gary123 will be able to put this behind him (something I'm sure we can also agree on).
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:04 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essay
I accept your knowledge of the reason for bankruptcy laws. My comments related to why responsible people make the difficult decision to choose bankruptcy.

My response was both heart-felt and meant to provide some comfort to Gary123 and his family, and in no way was I suggesting bankruptcy is an "easy out." It isn't. If debtors prison was the option when my disability outlasted my savings, I would have ended up there.

Oh, an employer declaring bankruptcy while owing me salary, you say? Indeed. It would be out of character for me to consider companies to have the emotional depth of, or the capacity for honour like a human being. I knew the law gave me lowest priority for getting paid in that situation. The company did what it had to do, and worked within the laws of the land. And then we all moved on.

And, with time, I trust that Gary123 will be able to put this behind him (something I'm sure we can also agree on).
Nice post.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If debtors prison
was introduced would people be more careful about how much debt they take on?
No. Lenders need to be more careful about who they lend to.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

i like to think that i did everything i could to stop this happening, a few days away wow that would be good, but money wise just can't do that yet , perhaps in a few months.

i have faith that i was brought to canada for a reason and the good lord did not bring me here to fail !

but my wonderful sophie ( english cocker spaniel) as hurt more than any amount of owed money could ...

advise , perhaps a shoulder to cry one would of been a better way of asking

Thanks Guys , you've been great

gary
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubbed
Gary.

Fair play to you for posting that. Where abouts are you exactly? I don't mean street address
Brampton
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No. Lenders need to be more careful about who they lend to.
I agree. I guess this thread will soon turn into a debate about addiction and personal responsibility with some advocating that people must be protected from their own actions.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Are you hedging your bets by asking for help on here AND from 'the good lord'?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:46 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gary123
Thanks Guys

i like to think that i did everything i could to stop this happening, a few days away wow that would be good, but money wise just can't do that yet , perhaps in a few months.

i have faith that i was brought to canada for a reason and the good lord did not bring me here to fail !

but my wonderful sophie ( english cocker spaniel) as hurt more than any amount of owed money could ...

advise , perhaps a shoulder to cry one would of been a better way of asking

Thanks Guys , you've been great

gary
Take a day trip, pack sandwiches and a flask, just have a day off from it all. I will do no end of good. There was a time in my life where I didn't have two pennies to rub together, taking my daughter away from home for a day and didn't have much in the way of petrol money either so we couldn't go far, just far enough to be away from the usual daily routine, did us wonders.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

$14 to take a car full of people into a provincial park Local conservation areas are usually free.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I guess this thread will soon turn into a debate about addiction and personal responsibility with some advocating that people must be protected from their own actions.
I disagree. People who borrow money they can't afford to pay back should not be protected from their own actions any more than lenders should be protected from theirs.

- Lenders should do due diligence and either charge appropriate interest rates or refuse to lend.
- Borrowers should act in good faith and not borrow with no intention of paying back.

The existing bankruptcy and fraud laws are good enough to protect both sides from illegal activity and bad luck, failed ventures etc. The problems only occur when either side is bailed out (default is a necessary part of the economy and should be allowed to happen).
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. People who borrow money they can't afford to pay back should not be protected from their own actions any more than lenders should be protected from theirs.

- Lenders should do due diligence and either charge appropriate interest rates or refuse to lend.
- Borrowers should act in good faith and not borrow with no intention of paying back.

The existing bankruptcy and fraud laws are good enough to protect both sides from illegal activity and bad luck, failed ventures etc. The problems only occur when either side is bailed out (default is a necessary part of the economy and should be allowed to happen).
Not sure what you are disagreeing with here. I am sure you do not believe that I believe that anyone should be protected. My feet are firmly placed in the personal responsibility side. My philosophy is: take a punt, if it goes pear shaped, it's your look out.

I have never advocated for the banks to be bailed out. I do believe, however, that had they not been, those that lost their deposits would be the first to complain that the "Government" hadn't protected them. Their hypocrisy, of course, would fly 100 feet over their own heads. They complain if the Government bails the banks out, they complain if they don't.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:32 pm

Not sure what you are disagreeing with here. I am sure you do not believe that I believe that anyone should be protected. My feet are firmly placed in the personal responsibility side. My philosophy is: take a punt, if it goes pear shaped, it's your look out.

I have never advocated for the banks to be bailed out. I do believe, however, that had they not been, those that lost their deposits would be the first to complain that the "Government" hadn't protected them. Their hypocrisy, of course, would fly 100 feet over their own heads. They complain if the Government bails the banks out, they complain if they don't.
I just assumed you were being argumentative

Ordinary depositors should be offered some level of protection. The federal limit of $100k is good enough (the UK and US have equivalents) - if you have more than that, then you should reasonably be expected to look after it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 25th 2011 at 3:34 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

if you have more than that, then you should reasonably be expected to look after it.
I don't think this follows. People don't generally acquire wealth through being good with money so there's no reason to think that someone who has more money than another is better able to manage it and so less deserving of protection for that money than another person. If it's right for the government to protect $50,000 deposits then it should also be right for the government to protect $500,000 deposits. It's not the fault of the person with $500,000 that he or she had richer parents than the one with $50,000.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think this follows. People don't generally acquire wealth through being good with money so there's no reason to think that someone who has more money than another is better able to manage it and so less deserving of protection for that money than another person. If it's right for the government to protect $50,000 deposits then it should also be right for the government to protect $500,000 deposits. It's not the fault of the person with $500,000 that he or she had richer parents than the one with $50,000.
It's not about being good with money, you can't protect people entirely from their own stupidity. The limit is there to protect ordinary people from losing everything, not to keep rich people in their lifestyles risk free.

If you've got $500k and have put it in all in dodgy bank plc which goes tit's up, then tough shit - you've lost $400k. You chose to put it there when you could have opened a few different bank accounts - it's not as if the $100k limit is a big a secret or anything.

Maybe $100k is too low, but that a limit exists is the right policy. Ultimately, there is a choice. If government pays back rich people when their investments go bad then it has less cash for other things. My view is that if you want a law to protect people, then make banks tell people that their deposits above $100k are at risk when they open the account.

(btw, equity and bold holders should have no protection at all)
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just assumed you were being argumentative
I don't know if that is justified; it's not as if I have done so before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.