British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Snow in Ontario (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/snow-ontario-547652/)

act1980 Jul 8th 2008 10:06 am

Snow in Ontario

Hi, we are thinking about visiting Toronto for Christmas and we are just curious to know when it actually starts snowing?

Thanks for your help!!:)

Souvenir Jul 8th 2008 11:30 am

Re: Snow in Ontario

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 6547374)
Hi, we are thinking about visiting Toronto for Christmas and we are just curious to know when it actually starts snowing?

Generally speaking, any time from mid-November. There are no guarantees, though. Last year, TO had over 50cm of snow in November/December. The year before it had less than 2cm.

clynnog Jul 8th 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 6547374)

Unfortunately for you many times in downtown Toronto it is a green christmas....however, a short drive out of the City to the nearby countryside and there is often snow...the urban heat island and the proximity to the lake keeps Toronto warmer than areas to the north etc.

dbd33 Jul 8th 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 6547924)
...however, a short drive out of the City to the nearby countryside and there is often snow

I suggest highway 10 north of Orangeville as a spot where one can usually find a blizzard.

act1980 Jul 8th 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks for your replies.

So how about the GTA then? Any good places to do a bit of skiing or snowboarding?

Thanks again!!

dbd33 Jul 8th 2008 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 6548017)
Thanks for your replies.

So how about the GTA then? Any good places to do a bit of skiing or snowboarding?

Thanks again!!

In short, no. However, there are some bunny hills near Collingwood.

clynnog Jul 8th 2008 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6547947)
I suggest highway 10 north of Orangeville as a spot where one can usually find a blizzard.

Yes, anwhere north and west of Orangeville or north of Barrie has a good chance of running into heavy snow at Christmas time.

Skiing in the GTA is pretty pathetic...there is a place just west of Milton called Glen Eden and there is Mansfield or Horseshoe Valley (north of Barrie) or Blue Mountain in Collingwood.

Mikey B Jul 8th 2008 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6547947)

Yes I agree many a fun day Ive driven in white out conditions heading to Shelburne & Mulmur not being able to see the front of the car. dbd we are on roll agreeing eh??

Although xmas 06 spent at our cottage in Huntsville (2.5 hrs north of TO) was green :(

dbd33 Jul 8th 2008 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6548493)
Yes I agree many a fun day Ive driven in white out conditions heading to Shelburne & Mulmur not being able to see the front of the car. dbd we are on roll agreeing eh??

Shocking, innit.

I live just north and west of the "road closed due to weather" sign on 124, that's how I know there's snow!

Mikey B Jul 8th 2008 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6548510)
Shocking, innit.

I live just north and west of the "road closed due to weather" sign on 124, that's how I know there's snow!

I know it well! OH used to live just east of Badjeros just off 124 towards Creemore. Nice part of the world!

dbd33 Jul 8th 2008 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6548773)
I know it well! OH used to live just east of Badjeros just off 124 towards Creemore. Nice part of the world!

We bought the pews and some fittings from a church in Badjeros, the building was/is for sale, very nice but nowhere to put the donkey.

Mikey B Jul 8th 2008 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6548803)
We bought the pews and some fittings from a church in Badjeros, the building was/is for sale, very nice but nowhere to put the donkey.

well you cant be having that, always has to be room for el donkey! After all how do you get around in the winter when the roads closed ;)

act1980 Jul 9th 2008 9:15 am

Thanks for the tip.

We have never skied or snowboarded before though so some small slopes would be ideal! :)

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 6548072)
Yes, anwhere north and west of Orangeville or north of Barrie has a good chance of running into heavy snow at Christmas time.

Skiing in the GTA is pretty pathetic...there is a place just west of Milton called Glen Eden and there is Mansfield or Horseshoe Valley (north of Barrie) or Blue Mountain in Collingwood.

dbd33 Jul 9th 2008 11:49 am

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 6551594)
Thanks for the tip.

We have never skied or snowboarded before though so some small slopes would be ideal! :)

Then Glen Eden/Kelso is easily reached and not busy on week days.

Mikey B Jul 9th 2008 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6552102)
Then Glen Eden/Kelso is easily reached and not busy on week days.

Isnt that pricey? I looked at Mansfield and Hockley for next winter and they are ridiculously expensive compared to buying your ticket early at Blue.

I need to move to BC where there are proper hills!