The smokers thread

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:40 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The smokers thread

Thanks Robin and Oakvillian
How can you help a) shoot Chris (b) give me a magic bloody pill....

For me smoking is a crutch, it has always been there for me, when times have been bad or sad (violins start playing softly in the background), and I know that I feel that I cannot cope without them....

I know I have to, but when Chris nags and tells me off I turn into a stroppy teenager, who wants what I am being told is bad for me. Chris doesn't mean to be the way he is about it, I know for him it's that he fears that I would die early or not be healthy enough to enjoy our lives together, and I get that I really do.

Saying that his attitued is just don't smoke then....:curse: He is happy at the moment that I am setting a target and has just said that he would be happy if that was six months away, and least its a target.

Anyway I have made an appointment to see the quit nurse, the earliest I could get in is the 7th December which is a bit of a shame, because my motivation will have dipped a bit by then, so at the moment I am aiming for that, I tried Zyban before and it did not work, will ask about Champix.

Thanks for the support, think I'll be here quite alot......

Have you set up a support group for the OH of quitters?? Think Chris might need some advice about what to when I have turned into wild woman weilding frying pan. (I turn into mega bitch without nicotine, it's why he told me to start smoking again last time I gave up)

Charlie (soon to be a happy non smoker)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:03 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
How can you help a) shoot Chris (b) give me a magic bloody pill....

For me smoking is a crutch, it has always been there for me, when times have been bad or sad (violins start playing softly in the background), and I know that I feel that I cannot cope without them....

I know I have to, but when Chris nags and tells me off I turn into a stroppy teenager, who wants what I am being told is bad for me. Chris doesn't mean to be the way he is about it, I know for him it's that he fears that I would die early or not be healthy enough to enjoy our lives together, and I get that I really do.

Saying that his attitued is just don't smoke then....:curse: He is happy at the moment that I am setting a target and has just said that he would be happy if that was six months away, and least its a target.

Anyway I have made an appointment to see the quit nurse, the earliest I could get in is the 7th December which is a bit of a shame, because my motivation will have dipped a bit by then, so at the moment I am aiming for that, I tried Zyban before and it did not work, will ask about Champix.

Have you set up a support group for the OH of quitters?? Think Chris might need some advice about what to when I have turned into wild woman weilding frying pan. (I turn into mega bitch without nicotine, it's why he told me to start smoking again last time I gave up)

Hi i am now in my 3rd mth of being smoke free And i have smoked for over 30yrs its not easy and its never going to be easy to stop, and you wont do it unless its the right time for you. I have been going to stop for most of that 30 yrs and had chest infections one after the other for along time,lots of pain in the old lungs, short of breath, weezing, headaches allsorts. but 3.5 mths ago it got really scarey and that was what it took for me .Tell you what tho all those smelly ashtray comments are true, i now walk past people in the street or in a shop and if they smoke thats exactly what they smell like and i obviously must of smelt like that to other people for over 30yrs
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

How can you help a) shoot Chris (b) give me a magic bloody pill....Champix is as close as you'll get but you still need willpower, it won't just happen.

For me smoking is a crutch, it has always been there for me, when times have been bad or sad (violins start playing softly in the background), and I know that I feel that I cannot cope without them.... Imagine you crutch, your best friend in times of stress (your cigs) holding your hand and walking around a graveyard with you. As you walk round with your friend you notice an empty, open grave, you get closer and it has your name on it. Your best friend keeps walking you closer and closer to the grave until it eventually leads you right into the grave.

Anyway I have made an appointment to see the quit nurse, the earliest I could get in is the 7th December which is a bit of a shame, because my motivation will have dipped a bit by then, so at the moment I am aiming for that, I tried Zyban before and it did not work, will ask about Champix. Make a written note of all the reasons you have for giving up now, note all the small parts of these reasons, how you feel about smoking right now and how you feel about quitting. You just have to keep the momentum going, making that appt is the hardest part.

Make sure you set up a direct debit or you do save the money. I did the direct debit and transferred money monthly, then I made sure I bought some fab treats
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:25 pm

Hi,
I have an appointment booked with the Quit Nurse for the 7th December, which is the earliest I could get in!

I have managed to cut down the amount I smoke each day, and I am also trying to wait in the morning for as long as I can before I have the first ciggie of the day. Normally I would fall down the stairs and open the back door and be outside smoking a ciggie before I had even opened my eyes.

Charlie
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Charlie, scarey times! it's those first steps that count the most, though without the support, cutting down is really difficult to sustain. The 7th is Friday week, so you've got some time to think about strategy too! The first thing I had to change when I stopped was coffee, another addiction of mine that went hand in hand with the fags.
I reckon you can do this Charlie.......
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
Well done Charlie, scarey times! it's those first steps that count the most, though without the support, cutting down is really difficult to sustain. The 7th is Friday week, so you've got some time to think about strategy too! The first thing I had to change when I stopped was coffee, another addiction of mine that went hand in hand with the fags.
I reckon you can do this Charlie.......
Thanks for the support Robin...

Charlie
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:40 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
You'd think that I'd have more sense really, but yes, I am a smoker, formerly B & H Gold, now Golden Virginia self-rolled with the occasional ready-rolled when I get them duty free.

Now, as we are about to apply for PR, I have fears about the dreaded chest x-ray in the distant future, and what harm has already been done to my lungs, and what will continue to happen for the next however many years it takes to get to our medicals!

Okay, so I know that to allay these fears slightly, I should give up right now, this minute, but I haven't yet found the right minute.

Sounds simple to ex or non-smokers doesn't it? Give up right now, my body does not appreciate this disgusting habit, and it is the one and only thing that I would do differently if I had my life over. (I think it's the only thing!)

Surely I am not the only smoker on this forum with these worries. I do know that I couldn't find another thread on the subject.

So who managed to give up smoking because of the thought of chest x-rays for medicals?

Who hasn't given up but intends to? (Support group in the making?)

Who wants to, but hasn't found the right minute?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone dare to share!
After 33years of loving my Ross I had to watch him waste away and die gasping for air in the last few days of his life................SUCH A WASTE....
Please try to stop for both you and those who love you.

Vi.x
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Vi, thank you, thank you for taking the time to post here during a time of such loss and such loneliness. I hope that you are able to find your way to a happy future and continue to enjoy life in Canada.

I finally managed to give up smoking, along with several others on this forum, earlier on this year.

I'm sure your posting will bring home to other readers, the reality of smoking, so thanks for coming here.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:57 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped smoking at the beginning of March, and these days I actually find it difficult to imagine what my life as a smoker was like.

I had one cigarette on the may 24 weekend. I lit it up and actually put it out after about 3 puffs, as I didn't enjoy it. I haven't really thought about smoking since, to the point where actually having a cigarette seems like a really foreign idea to me...

However, this was after 22 years as a smoker, and countless attempts to quit over the years. So, I wish lots of luck for everyone trying to give up, and if you keep on at giving up, eventually you will succeed...
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by rossandvi
After 33years of loving my Ross I had to watch him waste away and die gasping for air in the last few days of his life................SUCH A WASTE....
Please try to stop for both you and those who love you.

Vi.x
Hi Vi,
I am going to try and for exactly the reasons you gave, thank you for saying it..............

Sarah, many thanks for wishing me goodluck, think I will definately need it!
Charlie
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:22 am

Ok Guys,
Visited the Quit Nurse on Friday, she suggested Champix, and also to leave it until after Christmas and New Year.

We are flying to Toulouse on New Years Eve to visit my Mum and Dad for a week (so excited have not seen them for 6 whole months), so as they both smoke, we thought it would be better to give up when we return.

I am a bit frustrated at waiting as I am worried that my best intentions will disappear, but I want to give myself the best chance of success. So quit date in going to be around 13th January.
Fingers crossed...
Charlie
Old Dec 10th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Guys,
Visited the Quit Nurse on Friday, she suggested Champix, and also to leave it until after Christmas and New Year.

We are flying to Toulouse on New Years Eve to visit my Mum and Dad for a week (so excited have not seen them for 6 whole months), so as they both smoke, we thought it would be better to give up when we return.

I am a bit frustrated at waiting as I am worried that my best intentions will disappear, but I want to give myself the best chance of success. So quit date in going to be around 13th January.
Fingers crossed...
Charlie
I'm sure your best intentions will still be there on the 13th Jan, if you start taking the Champix on the 1st then you'll be ready for the 13th. Just by you being frustrated demonstrates that your attitude towards smoking has changed and you have made the choice to stop.

Congratulations on having taken the hardest step.

Sharon
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Charlie, don't worry about when you give up. It took me a few months for the time to be right, and it would be a shame to try over Christmas when your will power would be diminished by all the Christmas festivities!
Hope you have a good one.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:48 pm

Thanks both...
Charlie
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Today is the first anniversary of being smoke free so I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see how everyone else is doing, especially the following, who all gave up in and around 2007:

Purple80 - Charlie

Britishvixen

Raine66

Blue eyes2002

Printer

Mad City Fan

Arris's husband

Jo and Andy +2

RodRos&co

Moondevil

Boxerdog03

Jenna

Gill_Andy_Grew

Sandy Blue

Sans

Burton Bunch and Kate White also mentioned that they were going to stop smoking too. How have you done?

I have not had a single cigarette since stopping last July 4th and although there are still occasions when I miss the social side of smoking, like joining the little smoking circle at work that meet outside during the day,...... and after a long bike ride, (motor cycle), when stopping at a cafe, ....and there's those after dinner ciggies too, ....but I know that I won't have one because I worked damn hard to resist and suffered lots of stress, as did my family, so I continue not to smoke.........

I still struggle with my weight, being about 2.5 stone overweight, but I am far fitter and more active than I was before. We also notice the difference to our budget, and can save that £140 that I used to spend on smoking, actually we save £200 between us in our 'Canada holiday' fund.

So to anyone reading this for the first time.......there are lots of tips on here about different ways of stopping smoking but at the end of the day.....and you all know this.....you really have to want to stop, that was what was different for me last July, it wasn't an attempt or a half-hearted effort and I wasn't going to submit to 'just one cigarette', I was stopping and that was that. It was bloody hard but I am now very proud to have got where I am... here and now writing this.....so good luck to all of you smokers out there that are on the brink of stopping, and come here to tell us how you are doing........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.