Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

To slipper or not to slipper

To slipper or not to slipper

Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default To slipper or not to slipper

Living in Canada, keeping warm is obviously of paramount importance and now it’s getting chillier its even more important. The question I have, and it probably more for the blokes on here, but do you wear slippers or not? And, if so, what kind do you wear? I’ve never been a slipper person myself, I've always thought once you’ve gone down the slipper route you’ve sort given up on life. HID has a nice fluffy pair of Ugg ones and lately I’ve found I’m considering getting pair of slippers myself, it’s all very unnerving. As for the related dressing gown issue, I'm afraid that's too hideous to contemplate.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To slipper or not to slipper

Depending on my mood I still find the house warm enough for bare feet but if nipping into the garage for a smoke I put on a pair of moccasin type shoes/slippers. I also have a pair of animal head (brown bear) slippers that if the mood suits I can wear. Basically if I'm home alone then who gives a **** what I'm wearing on my feet.
I do admit though Im not comfortable wearing the traditional slipper which may or may not have a plaid liner.
Definitely not a bathrobe or dressing gown type of guy.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

No slippers!! Just flip flops at door if I need Owt from car in rain or snow, otherwise Bare foot is the way to go forward from here.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:35 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Never worn slippers..just socks round the house and the obligatory track bottoms and tshirt
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Never worn slippers..just socks round the house and the obligatory track bottoms and tshirt
That's been my dress code mostly. The thing is, although I live in a high-rise apartment building, I have a storage room down the corridor from me and I keep a lot of tinned food etc, so I often pop down there for something and its a pain to keep putting on shoes.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have been thoroughly trained in slipper etiquette for the last thirty something years so I am a lost cause. However, as my own little act of rebellion, I wear moccasins in the rooms of the house where slippers are appropriate. I am not completely under the thumb.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Living in Canada, keeping warm is obviously of paramount importance and now it’s getting chillier its even more important.
Ah yes, those brutal Vancouver winters...

The question I have, and it probably more for the blokes on here, but do you wear slippers or not? And, if so, what kind do you wear? I’ve never been a slipper person myself, I've always thought once you’ve gone down the slipper route you’ve sort given up on life. HID has a nice fluffy pair of Ugg ones and lately I’ve found I’m considering getting pair of slippers myself, it’s all very unnerving. As for the related dressing gown issue, I'm afraid that's too hideous to contemplate.
Slippers - or to give them their proper name, baffies - are the best footwear a chap can own. Getting just the right baffies is a source of some stress for me; being stuck with an unsatisfactory pair can literally ruin an entire year.

Dressing gowns are less stressful, though still absolutely necessary to prevent one's house guests from witnessing something ghastly at breakfast.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Ah yes, those brutal Vancouver winters...

Slippers - or to give them their proper name, baffies - are the best footwear a chap can own. Getting just the right baffies is a source of some stress for me; being stuck with an unsatisfactory pair can literally ruin an entire year.

Dressing gowns are less stressful, though still absolutely necessary to prevent one's house guests from witnessing something ghastly at breakfast.
I suppose you'd have to match it with your cravat and spats.

I like the word "baffles" though, I might have to try work that into conversation.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you'd have to match it with your cravat and spats.

I like the word "baffles". I might have to try work that into conversation.
It's not baffles, it's baffies.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:53 pm

Its still good.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:01 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I use specially designated house shoes. Which are regular shoes (comfortable breathable sneaker type things) that have been specially designated for use only in the house.

I often forget to put them on and sometimes I go out but forget that I have them on. But no one knows, so that's ok.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Baffies for me too.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:09 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've heard of them so I googled the name and this is what appeared:

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Baffies for me too.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did try slippers at one point, after many many years of resistance, and discovered that my resistance was not in vain. Generally use some slip on shoes that are for inside only or socks. In summer, even Crocs.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:38 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

This would suit you down to the ground
Attached Thumbnails To slipper or not to slipper-west-ham-onesie.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.