Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sirius drops BBC Radio 1

Sirius drops BBC Radio 1

Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sirius drops BBC Radio 1

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Now if it were your Simpson, Naughtie and Mair then I'd agree with you, but what person in their right mind would want to go to the bother of emigrating to Canada, and still listen to the mindless drivelling vomit spewed by Mr Moyles et al?

Getting the music without the DJ would seem to be the best of both worlds to me?
+ 1...big time!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

craigrushforth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I too woke up this morning to find Radio 1 and the team missing from channel 15. Really, really wasn't happy about that.

I just got off the phone with someone from Sirius Canada and they said the BBC are the ones that chose to remove the channel. They have no idea why and they are trying to contact them to resolve it. He said to wait a week and see if they have more information or if they can get it resolved.

I was about to cancel this morning like so many other people it seems.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

saint2e is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
+ 1...big time!
I think The Surgery on Sunday nights was my main draw. As well as Scott Mills in the afternoon. I do enjoy Moyles in the morning though, but the show isn't as good as it once was.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah, but chris moyles is an annoying unfunny ******. Switching to Radio 2 and finding it not that bad was both depressing and a big relief at the same time.
He's a fat cock and Comedy Dave is an oxymoron.

I stream Radio 2 quite often in the car.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:27 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigrushforth
Hi,

I too woke up this morning to find Radio 1 and the team missing from channel 15. Really, really wasn't happy about that.

I just got off the phone with someone from Sirius Canada and they said the BBC are the ones that chose to remove the channel. They have no idea why and they are trying to contact them to resolve it. He said to wait a week and see if they have more information or if they can get it resolved.

I was about to cancel this morning like so many other people it seems.
Sounds as if this is going to hurt Sirius more than they thought. I wonder how many have voiced opinions by email and cancellations. If they loosing custom from just the one channel then scrap some of the shite they have and pay the BBC more cash.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
but what person in their right mind would want to go to the bother of emigrating to Canada, and still listen to the mindless drivelling vomit spewed by Mr Moyles et al?
But it's all the mindless drivel in between the songs that is good fun too.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I listened to Radio 1 when commuting. I liked it because:

- no references to Canadiana

- traffic and weather as accurate and relevant as that on the local stations

- quality news reporting (relative to the the local stations)

- nice accents!
Yep!

Originally Posted by vistaway
As others have said - it's not just the music - it's Newsbeat, Stories, Surgery, etc. I used to time my commute by when Celebrity Raspberry was on in the AM - if I was past a certain exit, I was making good time.
Alternative local choices for me include Celebrity Sleaze on Virgin Calgary, light rock, soft rock, or rock on other stations, or twelve combinations of country and/or western.

Chris Moyles and his mindless drivel are vastly superior to make the commute bearable I'm afraid. I like nearly all the DJ's on there to be honest. The music coming out the UK is still innovative and fun and though I'm far too old to listen to the Top 40 really, I still much prefer the young bands and song-writers there.

Another unhappy ex-customer here who had just paid their fifth annual subscription. So glad I didn't click on the lifetime subscription on Sunday after all!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:31 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I can't find any further information, not my department.

All I can suggest is you send emails, post on the lounge or contact the Call Centre about it if you feel strongly about losing the station.

Last edited by Ben W Bell; Aug 9th 2011 at 5:04 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:04 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

For those that care, you might want to try emailing radio 1 at [email protected] as well. It's weird there's no annoucement from the BBC about this, normally they're on top of that kind of thing.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Sounds as if this is going to hurt Sirius more than they thought. I wonder how many have voiced opinions by email and cancellations. If they loosing custom from just the one channel then scrap some of the shite they have and pay the BBC more cash.
I think not only people will cancel, but once they have done they will realise there are alternatives out there and just not come back. Even if sirius does panic and restarts BBCR1 you're right, they'll have lost all brand loyalty.

AND IT'S RAINING! eugh.

Have paid up until September but I agree with an earlier poster that to simply drop a service without notice is a shocking practice! What if I had bought a 3 yr subscription yesterday, just for BBC?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:10 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
For those that care, you might want to try emailing radio 1 at [email protected] as well. It's weird there's no annoucement from the BBC about this, normally they're on top of that kind of thing.
Thanks, done it. I also looked at some other threads and hoards of people apear to be canceling sirius subs.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Thanks, done it. I also looked at some other threads and hoards of people apear to be canceling sirius subs.
Just search for Sirius Radio 1 on Twitter! Haha.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

vistaway is an unknown quantity at this point

I registered on here as it was (and is) one of the top results when Googling something like "Sirius XM Radio 1." Now it appears to be getting quite big, with lots of chatter on twitter, as well as all over Facebook. Fingers crossed this blows up in their face and they are forced to backtrack...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

PAScouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't believe it when I turned on BBC 1 this morning and there was some idiot extolling the virtues of the other available station's music. It's not just the music, it keeping in touch with your roots!!!!

I am well p##sed and really considering dropping Sirius completed. Hopefully there will be a groundswell of popular opinion to get it back but I'm not hopeful.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:27 pm

And they wonder why people riot? Imagine if they had taken your job or bulldozed ya house down to build an olympic stadium.

Its radio one. I hope the sh*t they have stirred up will bring it back, but, in the grand theme of things its small fry.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

TexasBrit88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know! I made a complaint on the website and I called in also. The staff didnt even seem to know what was going on. I really want an explanation. I will probably cancel too since this is the only reason I paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.