Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sirius drops BBC Radio 1

Sirius drops BBC Radio 1

Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

PAScouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sirius drops BBC Radio 1

Did anyone notice last week on the Moyles show that he started to say something about Sirius maybe not carrying Radio 1 but shut up sharpish. It would have been between 7 and 7-30 one day last week.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

PAScouse is an unknown quantity at this point

seems to be a lot of expats joining this site today just to complain about this.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

rhysup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PAScouse
Did anyone notice last week on the Moyles show that he started to say something about Sirius maybe not carrying Radio 1 but shut up sharpish. It would have been between 7 and 7-30 one day last week.
yep I noticed---and yes I am neewbie to the site.

I like many are more annoyed than anything. I called and emailed and they were aware of what I was talking about. Offered 6 free months etc. (we have been with Sirius for many years)...and the person I spoke to said they were going to 'sort it out' and wait to see what happens.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

wayne_will is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't believe it myself, I have listened to the Chris Moyles show for 15'odd years now, ever since he started on Early Breakfast show back in '96. My day is much lighter for a little bit of Moyles & Mills. I only subscribed to Sirius as they supplied Radio1, as of this morning I cancelled all three of my subscriptions. A 7 year contract on my portable Stiletto, both cars, Sirius has slowly been ride up the price & reducing service since the merger between Sirius & XM. Removing Radio1 without notice or even a quick warning just shows how much they respect their clients, and the annoying loop now on Channel 15 attempting to sell lesser channels as possible alternatives. I will not miss Sirius, just Radio1.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
. Switching to Radio 2 and finding it not that bad was both depressing and a big relief at the same time.
You too.

Although not a subscriber I do feel for people. I know how irritating it is when the Cricket plus channel show the Star India feed instead of Sky Sports.

As with the iplayer, I do think the BBC are missing a good opportunity. Couldn't they beam their radio stations off an existing satellite and just charge us respectively?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Well, now I'm in a very bad mood, as my morning commute was ruined by a lack of Radio 1.
It's gone, no idea why, and they are banging on about how you can listen to that type of music on some of their other channels.

Well, frankly Sirius, I don't give a flying ^*&%$##@#@ about the music. I would like my Moyles, my Coxy, and my Scott Mills back.

Bastards.
Cancellation of subscription happening as soon as they open the switchboard..

http://www.siriusxm.com/bbcradio1
Just got in the car this afternoon and made this discovery. Furious...utterly furious. Wrote to Sirius the moment I got back in... It may do nothing but PLEASE everyone write to them...better than doing nothing, I hope.
Gutted...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

yasicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Also a new member today because this site seemed to have one of the most extensive discussions regarding the cancellation of Radio 1 (and I'm not even an expat!).

Called Sirius corporate in New York to lodge my complaint - secretary or assistant was very nice, sounded weary, said that she has been fielding these calls all day and doesn't know exactly what the status is (key people are out of the office and apparently there are lots of upper management/heavy hitter meetings going on), but she is keeping a list of complaints, and she said that canceled stations have been brought back due to subscriber anger, so she definitely encouraged lodging your complaint with Sirius in a number of ways.

Sirius corporate number 212-584-5100.

Also, lots of posts on Facebook at the Sirius XM "fan" page (what a laugh, now), and the Get Radio 1 back page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-BB...75713435831140
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Aaarrggghhh!..... Just resurrected my account to say aaaaarrrrgghh!!

Zane Lowe on the drive back to Canmore of an evening was my way of keeping up with new music.

Local yyc radio just doesn't have the same top-end production of R1, and cuts out half way home. The other channels are still good, but when you listen for 2 hours every day you soon tire of the playlist repetition.

Suppose I could always switch to the country music channels

I'll be ringing in for sure.... if only to get a couple of free months!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

riceinator is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard they are replacing it with Radio 54...classic dance hits...really? You couldn't can another station? There are lot of dumb ones! I agree...it was more than just the music. I wrote a letter via snail mail...we shall see what happens!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a solution: Get bluetooth for your vehicle, use a Smart Phone to stream Radio 1 from the web feed and get a dataplan?

It won't be timeshifted the same way the sirius stream was though.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

setho212 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found a list of emails of Sirius execs this morning so I sent them all a message about how disappointed I was. A few minutes ago I received a response from Gary Schoenwetter, the Senior Director of music programming. Here is what the message said:

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed in the recent changes and
that you miss hearing BBC Radio 1.

We continually strive for a balance of musical styles to satisfy the
diverse tastes of all of our subscribers and look forward to continuing
to serve you in the future.

Sincerely,

Gary Schoenwetter
Sr. Director, Music Programming

This kind of makes me even angrier. It doesnt offer any explanation at all.

I urge you to email Gary directly and let him know how you feel. His address is: [email protected]
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:26 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

And that's the problem. I'm fairly sure I could rig up something on a PC at home to record the stream and timeshift it by 6 hours, so in-house playing (via Sonos) would be fine, but, it's the drive to work that I'd miss it more. I spent 15 years of listening to R1 back on my delightful M25 J28-J14 drive every day, and I enjoy that 'little bit of home' during my much shorter drive down 183 in Dallas.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Rackless Pinion is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing I did when I got home from work this evening, I called Sirius and cancelled the subscription for my car, then called XM to cancel the subscription for my wife's car.

FYI: XM try to charge a $75 cancellation fee, but if pushed, they revoke this charge - they did for me when I told them that they can't possibly expect to charge an early termination fee when the sole reason why I'm canceling is because they terminated the only service I subscribe for, and without any prior notice.

Can't wait to watch their already p!$$ poor share price tumble yet further over this debacle.

Oh, and thanks to @finhaven for pointing me to this site from Twitter - didn't know it existed for expats (5 days 'till we celebrate 10yrs in Canada, moving from Bedford, UK)
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

feecosh is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just joined so I too can express my annoyance! What was most annoying was that the stupid recorded message didn't even say " Radio 1 is no longer available on this channel" at first I just listened thinking Chris Moyles would come back on after the lame Sirius advert.

Word on the internet is that they knew last week and it was meant to finish on Aug 15th .... So how come Sirius didn't send an email? .... they send me crap every other day about what naff country music I could listen to.

No point calling Sirius to voice my complaint I just keep getting some moron in Phillipines saying "Yes! I understand you are disappointed" NO they really don't understand.

I work in a school and introduce they teens to all the cool music before it gets to the USA, plus living in the South sucks radio wise.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

well i'm annoyed about it.

I liked my Radio 1 in the car, i'm not fussed about lots of the DJ's or the music at times, but i liked the news / sports updates, live stuf etc... cant say i'll be renewing my subscription. i was hoping they would add Radio 2 as well as R1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.