Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:38 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

I don't suppose I would have a problem with a prospective employer looking at my profile - or even my wall. However super sensitive things are restricted to private closed groups () or personal messages. So wouldn't want anyone getting hold of those.

There has to be a degree of privacy in your private life.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't give my employer my facebook log in details (by that I mean my username and password), but I wouldn't give them log in details for anywhere else either...

As far as I am concerned, I have no issues with them checking out my facebook stuff like anyone else can, but they don't need to be able to log in as ME - that would mean they can change stuff in my profile which is not what they need to do.

And similarly I wouldn't give them log in details for any other websites either, but have no probs with them checking me out..\

Heck, when I got my latest job my employers googled me - they found my facebook page (nothing embarrassing there), they found that I had written several papers that I submitted to a nutrition journal, they found that I was a contributor in an animal nutrition text book (I am one of those et. al's you see in references!), and they found that I used to run a custom-made cloth diaper business.... They found out that I went to the school I claimed to go to and that I had several friends at the same school. all of which was in my resume. They also found out that I was a gamer, which wasn't in my resume but didn't harm my job prospects in the slightest (actually it led to a pretty good discussion of EQ2 vs WOW.... I am an EQ2'er

my opinion - if you put it out there on the internet, you face the consequences if your employer decides to google you.

But there is a HUGE realm of difference between giving an employer what are supposed to be confidential log in details on a social networking site and them googling you! The latter I am fine with, the former not so... what next
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

If you have publicly available information on any given social network, that's your prerogative to 'put it out there' for anyone, including your potential employer to see ... but anything above and beyond that is simply a personal security issue, which goes well beyond the line in my opinion.

All the best.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Facebook strikes back!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...nterviews.html

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 23rd 2012 at 6:35 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

.. never thought I'd hear myself say this, but .... NICE ONE FB!!!

BTW, that's one heck of a doormat!

All the best.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly different but along the same lines, a friend of a friend was given a grilling at immigration when arriving in Canada for just a holiday the other week. Immigration made him log into facebook so they could have a snoop around
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

In the country to your south, they have rejected making it illegal to require Facebook passwords.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25283..._congress.html
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In the country to your south, they have rejected making it illegal to require Facebook passwords.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25283..._congress.html
I don't think this proposed amendment had much to do with the issue and I don't think the issue has anything to do with the FCC. Irrelevant disposable proposal goes nowhere, dog bites man.