Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should I get a puppy...

Should I get a puppy...

Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should I get a puppy...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That is strange...my 23 yr old daughter (she lives in our apartment in T.O.) would love a dog too. We've advised her to wait...she's only just started work and has a busy social life. She's too young in our opinion to be tied down with a dog. They can also be very expensive...apart from food and grooming...there's vet's bills...kennels or having someone look after them when you are away. Also in your case...if you were to return to the UK it would be expensive for you with shipping costs and getting your dog approved under the DEFRA restrictions.

We don't live in T.O...our apartment is not too far away from you....a little to the south west.
Maybe we could share the responsibility ;-)

I'm a little bit older and I've been working for awhile so I don't think it would tie me down (my mum would disagree ) But you're right it is an expensive business, I definitely think waiting until my PR comes through is a good idea.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is a pic of my 'girls'...Charlie and Belle.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 12th 2019 at 10:54 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

This is a pic of my 'girls'...Charlie and Belle.
awwwww too cute...what's the little one? She's not a king charles too is she? I can't see the curly ears.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Bovine Excrement. What municipality forbids you to let cats out?

So you can mince your oaths, but doesn't mean you're not wrong.

Calgary!

Ours are indoors/outdoors. They don't go out when its very cold or in a blizzard, mainly because they are not stupid. They live a much happier life allowed to roam outside than those poor bloody animals cooped up indoors all day.

They might be "happy" but it's not responsible to let cats out for the reasons stated above.
EDIT: Being rescue cats both ours are 'done' - it's a condition on rehoming them by the SPCA and the only responsible thing to do.
If someone can't create an environment for a cat indoors, then they shouldn't be having one as a pet IMNSHO. Cats are both too frail and too damaging for the canadian environment.

I like to see songbirds at my birdfeeder - nuthatches, finches, chickadees, red-polls, song sparrows, not a fat cat lying waiting and magpies mobbing it.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucieg
awwwww too cute...what's the little one? She's not a king charles too is she? I can't see the curly ears.
She's a long haired chihuahua...the ultimate portable dog.

She's our first chi...a lovely dog but a totally different personality to the Cav.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 29th 2009 at 8:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

She's a long haired chihuahua...the ultimate portable dog.

She's our first chi...a lovely dog but a totally different personality to the Cav.
I was going to say chihuahua but she has really similar colouring to your other dog. My friend had a long haired chihuahua and it had yellow/golden fur and looked like a miniture lion with it's huge mane!

See I like spaniels because they're not huge but you can still pick them up if you need to...but you can't fit them in your purse lol!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was going to say chihuahua but she has really similar colouring to your other dog. My friend had a long haired chihuahua and it had yellow/golden fur and looked like a miniture lion with it's huge mane!

See I like spaniels because they're not huge but you can still pick them up if you need to...but you can't fit them in your purse lol!
My favourite dogs are Dobermans...that's why my small dogs have the same colour and markings. I know it sounds daft...but it's impractical to have Dobs here in the US...so this is how I compensate.

My Cav is around 14 lbs...so she is easily carried but not for too long.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
They breed like rats? Ever heard of neutering?

Cats are natural predators. And they are not ornaments.
Exactly, which is why there are so many in the pound. People by them as pets or cuddle toys, and learn that little pussy grows up.

And of course I've heard of neutering, don't be daft. A lot of people haven't though, and that's why there are so many feral cats wandering around, getting injured by cars, having kittens, and killing millions of birds.

A University of Alberta study concludes

"Data suggests that on average a single feline kills, at most, one wild bird every two weeks. Given the number of daily visits by birds to feeders, the risk from any single cat seems small. But there are cats aplenty."

Since cats are predators and not ornaments maybe they shouldn't be kept as pets by so many people. And since they are predators maybe they shouldn't be let outside into an environment they are foreign to.

The Calgary Humane Society:

Because of the adaptability of cats, a house or an apartment suits them just fine. If your space is very limited, make sure you have enough room to set up a litter box away from the cat’s feeding area.

The Calgary Humane Society recommends that you keep your cat indoors for many reasons. The average life span of an indoor cat is 12 to 15 years, compared to an estimated 2 to 3 years for a cat allowed outside. Not to mention the outdoor dangers of attacks by dogs or other cats, infectious diseases, parasites, poisons, people who don't like cats, and exposure to severe weather. Finally, there is a cat control bylaw that has been in effect in Calgary since 1990 that forbids your cat from being a nuisance on other people’s property.

Links:

http://veggierevolution.blogspot.com...llions-of.html

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ca...ign/index.html

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/.../predation.pdf

And go ahead, have a cat, but know what you are doing when you let it out.

More on topic: the best dog type to be kept indoors with little human interaction or exercise for long stretches of time is the greyhound type (including Salukis, Afghans, Wolf and Deer hounds). Lap dogs need laps!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Spaniels are working dogs and need a lot of exercise. I've seen some completely manic ones whilst out dog walking. Likewise, I've seen some slower ones!

I have a small working puppy dog (Jack Russell cross) and they need lots of work and attention to keep them from being destructive. I do have a cage but given the toilet training needs of a small puppy there is no way on earth that I would cage a dog all day.

They are a lot more work than I expected and I'm pleased I waited until I'm home all day to get a dog. Wanted one for years, walked other people's until now.

If you do get a dog whilst you are walking, think very carefully about the breed and then the temperament of the individual puppy/dog itself. Dogs are social animals and really shouldn't be left alone all day.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G586
Spaniels are working dogs and need a lot of exercise. I've seen some completely manic ones whilst out dog walking. Likewise, I've seen some slower ones!

I have a small working puppy dog (Jack Russell cross) and they need lots of work and attention to keep them from being destructive. I do have a cage but given the toilet training needs of a small puppy there is no way on earth that I would cage a dog all day.

They are a lot more work than I expected and I'm pleased I waited until I'm home all day to get a dog. Wanted one for years, walked other people's until now.

If you do get a dog whilst you are walking, think very carefully about the breed and then the temperament of the individual puppy/dog itself. Dogs are social animals and really shouldn't be left alone all day.
Some spaniels are working dogs...some are not they are 'show' dogs so to speak, plus if they're cross bred they can show even less worker dog traits.

My grans dog was a purebred cocker had a showname and everything and was definitely NOT a working dog. He loved to walk yes but desperate for exercise no...after 15 mins that dog was pulling at the lead to get back to the house.

Se jack russells while cute are way too high energy for me...those puppies can jump! Someone I know has just gotten a jack russel/corgi mix and he's nuts...lovely puppy but not for me.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had a scotty for 15 years.

Little short legs!!!! Great personality and low maintenance! Not a great lap dog though!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,

I really really want to get a puppy, I'm trying to be sensible and listing all the reasons why I shouldn't get one i.e.

- I'm here on a whp (pr applied for but no guarantees of course)
- I work so it'll be at home on it's own during the day
- expense
- toilet training!
- training in general!

Yet I still really really want one.

All I keep thinking is that if I get kicked out in October I'm going to pitch up in London homeless, jobless and with a Canadian puppy! And finding landlords in London who don't mind pets is a nightmare.

Any advice??
Wait for your pr. If you can't wait don't move to london if it all goes pete tong.

good luck
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I really really want to get a puppy, I'm trying to be sensible and listing all the reasons why I shouldn't get one i.e.

- I'm here on a whp (pr applied for but no guarantees of course)
- I work so it'll be at home on it's own during the day
- expense
- toilet training!
- training in general!

Yet I still really really want one.

All I keep thinking is that if I get kicked out in October I'm going to pitch up in London homeless, jobless and with a Canadian puppy! And finding landlords in London who don't mind pets is a nightmare.

Any advice??
also, if you're renting, your current landlord might not be happy.

I love the idea of a dog, sure, but right now...i have to say wait. Volunteer at the local pound. See if you can take dogs for a walk, get an diea of teh work involved and the types of dogs, you might find you prefer one type over another.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Exactly, which is why there are so many in the pound. People by them as pets or cuddle toys, and learn that little pussy grows up.

And of course I've heard of neutering, don't be daft. A lot of people haven't though, and that's why there are so many feral cats wandering around, getting injured by cars, having kittens, and killing millions of birds.

A University of Alberta study concludes

"Data suggests that on average a single feline kills, at most, one wild bird every two weeks. Given the number of daily visits by birds to feeders, the risk from any single cat seems small. But there are cats aplenty."

Since cats are predators and not ornaments maybe they shouldn't be kept as pets by so many people. And since they are predators maybe they shouldn't be let outside into an environment they are foreign to.

The Calgary Humane Society:

Because of the adaptability of cats, a house or an apartment suits them just fine. If your space is very limited, make sure you have enough room to set up a litter box away from the cat’s feeding area.

The Calgary Humane Society recommends that you keep your cat indoors for many reasons. The average life span of an indoor cat is 12 to 15 years, compared to an estimated 2 to 3 years for a cat allowed outside. Not to mention the outdoor dangers of attacks by dogs or other cats, infectious diseases, parasites, poisons, people who don't like cats, and exposure to severe weather. Finally, there is a cat control bylaw that has been in effect in Calgary since 1990 that forbids your cat from being a nuisance on other people’s property.

Links:

http://veggierevolution.blogspot.com...llions-of.html

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ca...ign/index.html

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/.../predation.pdf

And go ahead, have a cat, but know what you are doing when you let it out.

More on topic: the best dog type to be kept indoors with little human interaction or exercise for long stretches of time is the greyhound type (including Salukis, Afghans, Wolf and Deer hounds). Lap dogs need laps!
What I find interesting about this is how anal the people of Calgary seem to be compared with those in Toronto. Already I think Torontonians make the Swiss and Germans seem like free loving bohemians but a law requiring people to herd cats in case they shit outdoors really is the ultimate in nanny stateism. Aint you people never heard of the concept of the Wild West, where men are men and fluffy pussies roam free over the range?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Aint you people never heard of the concept of the Wild West, where men are men and fluffy pussies roam free over the range?
I thought all the fluffy pussies were in the Beaver Valley awaiting people going for a Sunday drive/shag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.