Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should have been a member of BE lol.

Should have been a member of BE lol.

Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should have been a member of BE lol.

There is a huge difference between what your passport(s) says you are and who you feel you are.
I was born in England, went to Algeria at the age of 9, to France 18 months later. Moved back to England at aged 22 but feeling desperately homesick for France for several years. Settled down in England with french hubby and had 3 children. Back in the late 80s I had heard Quebec were encouraging french people to emigrate to Quebec. Hubby didn't want to do it.
Divorced french hubby and married English hubby and that's when we started planning our move to Canada.
So I'm not quite sure where I'm from. As I've said before I have a British passport, a french heart and a Canadian life!
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
There is a huge difference between what your passport(s) says you are and who you feel you are.

I couldn't agree more! And it is a very personal thing.

I was born of a Canadian father and a British / Canadian mother in Canada and raised there until I was a teenager. I have lived in Britain now for the last 40-odd years. I have only a faint Canadian accent on certain words (often asked if I am from the 'west country' and I say yes, about 3000m west!).

Me - I am Canadian pure and simple!

A friend of mine is almost the reverse, Born and raised in Scotland until a teenager, then moved to Canada. Ask him and there is no doubt in his mind - he is Canadian, end of story (but proud of his heritage).

To each his own I would suggest!
Old Apr 5th 2017, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved back from France I had a french accent and was regularly asked where I was from. If I allowed them to guess they would say the West Country! Now I have a clear English accent and have a slight English accent when I speak french. However if I speak German or Spanish people think I'm french!
What a mix eh?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

@ post #29, 31, 32 & 33

Exactly that, you can be whatever you want to be these days, just getting three or more citizenships would be 'just fine'

A few years after I arrived in Canada I worked with an Australian chap who met his Swiss wife in the UK, married in 1963, they had a daughter born in the UK 1964. Late 60'S they emigrated to Canada. After getting their Canadian citizenship they moved to Australia where they remain to this day.

That child (now a grandmother herself) at aged 53 could have four passports, makes you wonder if she tells everyone that she is Australian.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have lived in Australia for nearly 11 years and had citizenship for 8. I never have and never will call myself Australian. When asked where I'm from I either answer "Canada" or "I live in South Geraldton", depending on who's asking and in what context.
I get that

Back in the 80's when we PR'd in OZ & NZ I was already a Canadian citizen & while living there I'd get asked 'where are you from, are you a Brit', my response always was 'I am a Canadian' - for the reason I had spent most all of my adult life in Canada & it just seemed right to say that.

Your accent or the place you were born doesn't dictate 'who you are' - you the individual with the citizenship of whichever country it is that you have or hold (some have two, three or more) can be what they want to be.

For whatever reason, some folks will voluntary give up (renounce) the citizenship of the place of their birth, while others 'feet firm on the ground' will keep on being PR's and to never (come hell or high water) take out citizenship of their new homeland.

Isn't nice though to have more than one citizenship with a passport to go along with it?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

In 1988 I started my application for french citizenship. But then decided there was really no need as Europe was one big happy family!
Big mistake!
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

In 1988 I started my application for french citizenship. But then decided there was really no need as Europe was one big happy family! Big mistake!
not a 'big mistake', just 'missed opportunity'

is it still too late for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French...ch_nationality

Live & learn like everything else in life, such as the link for the OP with his PR card
Old Apr 5th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
not a 'big mistake', just 'missed opportunity'

is it still too late for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French...ch_nationality

Live & learn like everything else in life, such as the link for the OP with his PR card
I checked your link but as I thought unfortunately not.

At the time I was eligible as I had been living there for over 10 years and also because I was married to a french citizen. He and I split up in 2001 and we were no longer living in France.
Oh well if all else fails maybe my children will sponsor me as they are french by descent... I think. More reading needed.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I class myself as English, not British, not a a citizen of the United Kingdom.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by mrken30
I class myself as English, not British, not a a citizen of the United Kingdom.
all in good fun

"English", what the bloody hell is "English", how can you be "English", I've never heard such a load of tripe

I suppose you have an "English" passport also?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... "English", what the bloody hell is "English", how can you be "English", I've never heard such a load of tripe

It's the same sort of idiocy as people who say they are Scottish or Welsh.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

all in good fun

"English", what the bloody hell is "English", how can you be "English", I've never heard such a load of tripe

My passport says European Union as primary, then underneath it mentions something about United Kingdom and Great Britain. Maybe I am Irish because it mentions Ireland on my passport. I have never been to Ireland.

I think there is a difference between nationality and citizenship.

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 5th 2017 at 6:50 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

My passport says European Union as primary, then underneath it mentions something about United Kingdom and Great Britain. maybe I am Irish because it mentions Ireland on my passport. I have never been to Ireland.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 9:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My passport says ..... Maybe I am Irish because it mentions Ireland on my passport. .....
I believe that is how my first green card came to be issued showing me as being Irish.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 10:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We will get citizenship hopefully later this year. We haven't yet applied but we're eligible.
The reasoning is because we live here and so it's the logical final step in our immigration journey.
I would say the final step was permanent residency.
We also plan on spending the last couple of years of our working lives in the Caribbean. Because of hubbys line of work we have a few options. Having citizenship means we don't need to worry about staying a little longer if we wish to do so. Our adult kids will of course remain in Canada so there's no way I would risk losing my PR and not be able to come back to Canada after our Caribbean stint.
Now that is probably the best reason for citizenship that I've seen here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.