Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

View Poll Results: reinstate death penalty?
yes
46.67%
i do not care
2.22%
no
51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:45 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

Originally Posted by montreal mike
top jobs ?

probably not so in Accounting

I found out most do not stick around long enough to make partner

Many will have children and it doesn't fit in their lifestyle

But the point is that women sure have progressed
That's sort of the point though... There are some stats around somewhere about the amount of women on boards around somewhere. Few women make the top regardless of children, and are women not capable to do both. So I guess women can't have it all MM? Is that a different topic?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
India is evidently different (not on the politician front) although I backpacked round there several times and was uncomfortable at times...much like here.
So their mentality hasn't changed? And is not likely to.

The wife makes lunch/supper and the hubbie gets served first, then the kids, and finally the wife gets to eat and wash up. On the street the 'memsahib' follows behind the hubbie several paces.

Very much a mans world. At least that is the way I remember seeing it in the mid fifties.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That's sort of the point though... There are some stats around somewhere about the amount of women on boards around somewhere. Few women make the top regardless of children, and are women not capable to do both. So I guess women can't have it all MM? Is that a different topic?
Probably another topic. But you are right.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, we've done really well, even in accounting if we take our shoes and socks off we can get as far as 20.

Give me strength
Well then you should have been there in the early sixties
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:55 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Probably another topic. But you are right.
Ta
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:57 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Well then you should have been there in the early sixties
Thankfully I hope they are a dying breed...but Canada being a bit behind the times might take it longer to work through the system
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully I hope they are a dying breed...but Canada being a bit behind the times might take it longer to work through the system
Oh, I'd be a bit more pessimistic than that. The overriding mores in Canada are, "It is what it is" and "We've always done it that way".

Really sad, really.

And Montreal Mike should just stop starting these rather silly trolling threads, IMHO.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in two out of those three as it happens. That's what makes me so cross. I have always been treated pretty well in the Middle East and North Africa...on a daily basis one lives with a casual disregard for the female here in North America that I have never experienced in Europe. It's so talked about in third world countries, they are aware of their shortcomings, and have a strong educated female network that help to make women an active subject for discussion. Many Middle Eastern and African countries are particularly deferential, and have had female politicians...India is evidently different (not on the politician front) although I backpacked round there several times and was uncomfortable at times...much like here.

Come to visit me outside the Morgantaler clinic at 7am in the morning whilst people shove banners in the faces of distressed young women who have no financial support from the Province if they decide to terminate a pregnancy, or my friend who works for the Rape Crisis Centre...once again, unfunded.

How come the majority of people who get to Death Row in the States are Black?

If I were going to reinstate Capital Punishment, I'd like to know that all the populace knew the rules....and we'd all started from the same standpoint.

There are lots of great things in North America being female, black, poor or unrepresented and alone isn't probably one of them.
I have been in front of the Morgantaler Clinic at 7 am. In fact, my husband used to do security there when we still lived in Toronto. And there is financial support for women who wish to have terminations - it's called OHIP. I know a number of women who have had terminations at public hospitals payed for by OHIP.

Rape crisis centres are also funded by the province. My sister was a major crime detective before retiring and going to work at the AG's office. http://www.sexualassaultsupport.ca/D...?pageId=418416 http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...#sexualAssault

I don't disagree that the doctor you spoke to was out of line with his comment. But to say he is representative of all North Americans is a gross generalisation.

For your last sentence, I have been poor, female and alone in Canada. And I have never felt unrepresented. There are lots of organisations for women in Canada specific for women's issues. Sorry, but I've never been black, so can't comment on that one.

I shall bow out now since us "cradles" are obviously such haters.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And Montreal Mike should just stop starting these rather silly trolling threads, IMHO.
not to sound too controversial since i am no expert but IMHO the best thing to do to eliminate trolls and pests is to ignore them and their threads inevitably die a natural death

i thought you, of all people, would have known that by now

Last edited by montreal mike; Mar 17th 2014 at 3:14 am.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:34 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst discussing the weather here on Friday, after the snowstorm, a most eminent paediatrician here told me...."the weather here can be dreadful, so it's like rape...you just hope you can enjoy some part of it". A phrase like that I would never have heard in Europe, certainly not in mixed company in public from anyone with a modicum of education. Women are routinely treated as third class citizens in North America, why is it so shocking when it's elsewhere.

No. Capital punishment is wrong in all and every circumstance. Why it would appear to be a subject for discussion when it happens in India seems puzzling, when it's OK if it happens 'up the road' in the 'civilized' good old US of A.

I don't normally play with your 'incendiary' posts Montreal Mike, but I admit all....I am waiting in the car park for a kid who is having more fun than finding his mother!

That's a very unsavoury comment from a doctor. I hope you challenged him on it. Some out-of-date attitudes and humour exist everywhere, particularly in less metropolitan parts.

On the death penalty, I think it should be available for crimes against society or humanity. School massacres, terrorist be headings, that sort of thing. Only where there is zero doubt of identity of course.

In the India rape case, horrific as it was, the death penalty is disproportinate (by Western standards). Nevertheless, that country needs to send out some signals, so it is probably politically motivated.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Capital punishment is wrong on so many levels that the answer is always no.

On a moral level we have no authority to take a life.
On a logical level it makes no sense to kill someone because they killed.
On a practical level there are so many cases of the guilty being found innocent in retrospect (yes, even convictions considered 100% secure) that it makes a mockery of the notion of justice.
On an economic level its more expensive to go through the legal appeals process and get to an execution than it is to lock somone up for life,
and from a law and order perspective there is no evidence that crime rates drop as a result of capital punishment.

Its just wrong wrong wrong.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Capital punishment is wrong on so many levels that the answer is always no.

On a moral level we have no authority to take a life.
On a logical level it makes no sense to kill someone because they killed.
On a practical level there are so many cases of the guilty being found innocent in retrospect (yes, even convictions considered 100% secure) that it makes a mockery of the notion of justice.
On an economic level its more expensive to go through the legal appeals process and get to an execution than it is to lock somone up for life,
and from a law and order perspective there is no evidence that crime rates drop as a result of capital punishment.

Its just wrong wrong wrong.
I don't agree "the answer is always no" and I think you mix up historical experience with what could be.

Moral authority > debatable - who's morals? and what morals?

Logical level > deterrent and outlet for revenge

Practical level > need to apply CP in absolute confirmed identity cases only

Economic level > see above on confirmed identity

Although we've been through this before Mr iank, I can't avoid pointing the inconsistencies in your argument.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't agree "the answer is always no" and I think you mix up historical experience with what could be.

Moral authority > debatable - who's morals? and what morals?

Logical level > deterrent and outlet for revenge

Practical level > need to apply CP in absolute confirmed identity cases only

Economic level > see above on confirmed identity

Although we've been through this before Mr iank, I can't avoid pointing the inconsistencies in your argument.
What deterent? There isnt a state out there with CP where murder rates are lower.

I dont expect pro CPers to understand morality.

Why have a double standard for guilt in murder cases in the case of CP? Either you are guilty beyond reasonable doubt or you are not. To insist on a higher level for the death penalty is a cop out and ignores the fact that has always been the requirement, and even now death row prisoners are proven to be innovent, as in the recent case of the guy on death row for 25 years!

Anyway, I dont wish to go over it all again, its just wrong and it doesnt work. The guilty and the innocent people are killed for no reason other than vengeance. That wouldnt work as a defence for the perpetrators, its shouldnt be accepted as a defence for the state.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:44 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by iaink
What deterent? There isnt a state out there with CP where murder rates are lower.

I dont expect pro CPers to understand morality.

Why have a double standard for guilt in murder cases in the case of CP? Either you are guilty beyond reasonable doubt or you are not. To insist on a higher level for the death penalty is a cop out and ignores the fact that has always been the requirement, and even now death row prisoners are proven to be innovent, as in the recent case of the guy on death row for 25 years!

Anyway, I dont wish to go over it all again, its just wrong and it doesnt work. The guilty and the innocent people are killed for no reason other than vengeance. That wouldnt work as a defence for the perpetrators, its shouldnt be accepted as a defence for the state.
Our agreement to disagree stands.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
Our agreement to disagree stands.
I agree with the death penalty

Even though there is the argument that an innocent person might be the victim of 'injustice'

i had no idea that this topic had been hotly debated -- as indicated in the posts above

nothing will change though

Canada will not reinstate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.