British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Should BC consider a name change? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/should-bc-consider-name-change-933310/)

caretaker Jun 24th 2020 11:28 pm

Re: Should BC consider a name change?

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12871604)
but BC is now a thing. It is a province of Canada and needs a name, and no name for the province existed previous. If you were arguing for renaming cities and towns there is a case to make but not for the province itself.

They're going to call it Mountain Equipment Co-op. :lol: The cities and towns that have Indian names have had them since they were founded, in most cases, and reserves have in many cases either replaced the English names of their land and bands or added their language to them. Ontario and Manitoba and Saskatchewan all have good traditional names, and the rest of you are just stuck with the ones you've got; too late to change them.

Siouxie Jun 25th 2020 12:31 am

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-scienc...rritories/9224

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-scienc...-capitals/9188
:D

Les1945 Jun 25th 2020 1:52 am

This subject is something I remember some people talking about in the late 1980's when I first visited BC on vacation. A popular suggestion then was "Pacifica". Obviously nothing came about it then and I doubt if anything will happen in the forseeable future.

dbd33 Jun 25th 2020 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Les1945 (Post 12871703)
This subject is something I remember some people talking about in the late 1980's when I first visited BC on vacation. A popular suggestion then was "Pacifica". Obviously nothing came about it then and I doubt if anything will happen in the forseeable future.

Didn't the Pacifica idea involve some sort of union with the nearby States? I thought it was a move to acknowledge that the people in fkaBC have more in common with those in California than those in Alberta and the parts of Canada east of Alberta.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 25th 2020 3:00 am

It's not too far off. Coastal BC is a lot like coastal WA and down to San Francisco but then as you get into So. California less in common with the PNW and BC.

So. California and No. California are different enough where people have proposed California splitting into 2 or more states.

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12871713)
Didn't the Pacifica idea involve some sort of union with the nearby States? I thought it was a move to acknowledge that the people in fkaBC have more in common with those in California than those in Alberta and the parts of Canada east of Alberta.

dave_j Jun 25th 2020 3:14 am

I think I'll toss a small grenade into the thread.
Perhaps we should engage in a much more entertaining (at least from the viewpoint english speakers among us) discussion about the much needed renaming of Quebec.
Since no self respecting member of the quebecois would countenance any name not in french so I'll nominate a first suggestion as "Wolfe-terre"
Not very original I'll admit, but it's been a warm day.

Former Lancastrian Jun 25th 2020 9:56 am

Just make any name change easy to pronounce and spell. Is it kwubec or kwaybec?

dbd33 Jun 25th 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12871720)
I think I'll toss a small grenade into the thread.
Perhaps we should engage in a much more entertaining (at least from the viewpoint english speakers among us) discussion about the much needed renaming of Quebec.
Since no self respecting member of the quebecois would countenance any name not in french so I'll nominate a first suggestion as "Wolfe-terre"
Not very original I'll admit, but it's been a warm day.

My children went to school in Canada and they hated the history class "there's no history in Canada so every year we have to do General Wolfe again". "Why don't you get 100% every time then?" I wondered. I should ask one of them if she knows now who Wolfe was.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 25th 2020 5:57 pm

My history classes in high school varied by grade in California.

9th grade was world history but really it was history of Europe from around 1300's to 1700's.

10th grade was Mexican-American history, the history of Mexico-US through the years from Mexico's independence to the 1990's.

11th grade was Spanish-American history & California history pre-US statehood combined.

12th grade was US History which was just really the revolutionary war, civil war and WW2.

Guess there is far too much history to possibly cover everything in high school, so they stuck with the basics. We did however learn 0 about Canada, but then in So. California, Canada really shares no history, and of no historical relevance to the region, so they stick with Mexico and Spainish-American history since that is the history of the area.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 26th 2020 2:54 am

The Dixie Chicks have decided to drop the racism and keep the sexism. No one should be vulnerable because of their race. Or their sex. How many women are killed by men? Mmiwg.

dbd33 Jun 26th 2020 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12872192)
The Dixie Chicks have decided to drop the racism and keep the sexism. No one should be vulnerable because of their race. Or their sex. How many women are killed by men? Mmiwg.

Is Mmiwg a proposed name for the Province FKA BC? Sounds indigenous, has historical connections, that could work.

Siouxie Jun 26th 2020 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12872306)
Is Mmiwg a proposed name for the Province FKA BC? Sounds indigenous, has historical connections, that could work.

Umm.. Mmiwg = Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls ...

dbd33 Jun 26th 2020 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12872405)
Umm.. Mmiwg = Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls ...

That was what I meant by "historical connections", it reflects life in Canada over the past decades and it has the kind of faux native sound that would be wanted from a new name.

withabix Jul 1st 2020 9:52 pm

....and yet nobody has insisted that the Stanley Cup or the Grey Cup get renamed immediately.

Both named after front-line racists....

Former Lancastrian Jul 1st 2020 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12875011)
....and yet nobody has insisted that the Stanley Cup or the Grey Cup get renamed immediately.

Both named after front-line racists....

Start a petition.