Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Self service checkouts Yay or Nay?

Self service checkouts Yay or Nay?

Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134
Default Re: Self service checkouts Yay or Nay?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Nay in the UK (where they are prevalent) if the purchase involves alcohol as all benefits of using a self checkout to get out faster are negated by waiting for some spotty herbert to come and confirm that I'm over 18. Obviously never be a problem in Canada what with the state controlled distribution of booze monopoly and all that!
I shop at Save on Foods in Kamloops who have been selling BC Wines for over a year now but you cannot use self check out if you buy wine, but the wine there is so expensive compared to the Govt liquor that i don't buy it, but i do use the self check out.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 8:44 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

only ever use self check outs..dont want to interact with people asking how i am when they nor me give a crap..also dont ask me if i want a walmart credit card or if i want to give money to a charity you have probably made up ..just do one and let me go home!
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
only ever use self check outs..dont want to interact with people asking how i am when they nor me give a crap..also dont ask me if i want a walmart credit card or if i want to give money to a charity you have probably made up ..just do one and let me go home!
But what if you didn't "find everything you were looking for," how will you know?
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:34 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like me when I am at a restaurant. Once I get my food I don't need you coming back to ask me "how are the first couple of bites tasting?". Bitch, if I have a problem with the food, you will be the first to know.
Oh, and never ever give me the bill unless I specifically ask for it. God I hate eating out.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
You sound like me when I am at a restaurant. Once I get my food I don't need you coming back to ask me "how are the first couple of bites tasting?". Bitch, if I have a problem with the food, you will be the first to know.
Oh, and never ever give me the bill unless I specifically ask for it. God I hate eating out.
I feel a little bit better about myself now. I enjoy interacting with others, for the most part.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 7th 2018 at 9:43 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, many of these things are scripted/required of the unfortunate staff on pain of death.

Do you get similar messages popping up on self scanning?
Old Dec 8th 2018, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The waiter's never going to know how my food is. Heck to that conflict - keep it until the online review. (Especially since the comment is most frequently going to be something like 'fries were great. Both of them.' and if you point out in person that you expected more than symbolic portions, any addition is probably going to have more than food on the plate).

We had one waiter recently who apparently wanted to cut his tip in half. If there isn't a clear and obvious parent/child-like relationship, why on earth would they not cover their bases - asking exactly one of the two people for ID is basically guaranteed to be pissing somebody off (whether it's for "Don't be stupid of course I'm legal age" or "How dare you think I'm old and wrinkly"). Just ask both, even if you think one is over 30 and the other might not be.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 4:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With a son who is a manager in the industry, I have to interject - don't shoot the messenger

It's pointless to complain after the fact, if something isn't right with your meal then tell them - that's why they come over to ask you if everything is ok both at the start of the meal and at the end! That gives them the opportunity to put it right. Either they will offer to remake the meal, replace the meal or comp the meal. What do you have to lose?

I'm not talking about complaining of a small portion size, but if your steak is overdone, tough, full of gristle or your fries have been refried 4 times and shrivelled, or your salad has the wrong dressing - your meal has too much salt - the vegetables are soggy / overcooked or raw - tell them! For instance, at The Keg, not only will they replace your meal often they will comp the meal as well... or give a hefty discount or a free dessert / coffee or maybe a drink. Complaining after you have left and leaving an adverse review helps nobody, least of all you - if the restaurant is truly terrible, the service appalling and the food inedible, you wouldn't go back there anyway, so can't benefit from management offering to give you a credit against another meal another day - so what's the point?

The comment about not being asked for ID - perhaps that server had asked other diners previously and had the opposite reaction on asking both parties - or had been told by management not to do so.. did you ask them why, or just punish them regardless. At the airport they have been told to ask everyone - other places have different rules. They make minimum wages - which is lower in many Provinces for servers / food and beverage industry workers. They normally have to give a percentage of the total bill for a tip to back of house staff (kitchen / busboys etc)., regardless of how much you might have tipped them - so if you tipped them $5 on a $100 bill, they may have had to fork out 3 to 5% of the total bill out of their own pockets to back of house staff. Normally it's 3% of the total bill that is paid over to back of house staff.. something to bear in mind when you decide not to give a tip to the server when it's not their fault the food was crap because you will have cost them $$$.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 8th 2018 at 5:05 am.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With a son who is a manager in the industry, I have to interject - don't shoot the messenger

It's pointless to complain after the fact, if something isn't right with your meal then tell them - that's why they come over to ask you if everything is ok both at the start of the meal and at the end! That gives them the opportunity to put it right. Either they will offer to remake the meal, replace the meal or comp the meal. What do you have to lose?

I'm not talking about complaining of a small portion size, but if your steak is overdone, tough, full of gristle or your fries have been refried 4 times and shrivelled, or your salad has the wrong dressing - your meal has too much salt - the vegetables are soggy / overcooked or raw - tell them! For instance, at The Keg, not only will they replace your meal often they will comp the meal as well... or give a hefty discount or a free dessert / coffee or maybe a drink. Complaining after you have left and leaving an adverse review helps nobody, least of all you - if the restaurant is truly terrible, the service appalling and the food inedible, you wouldn't go back there anyway, so can't benefit from management offering to give you a credit against another meal another day - so what's the point?

The comment about not being asked for ID - perhaps that server had asked other diners previously and had the opposite reaction on asking both parties - or had been told by management not to do so.. did you ask them why, or just punish them regardless. At the airport they have been told to ask everyone - other places have different rules. They make minimum wages - which is lower in many Provinces for servers / food and beverage industry workers. They normally have to give a percentage of the total bill for a tip to back of house staff (kitchen / busboys etc)., regardless of how much you might have tipped them - so if you tipped them $5 on a $100 bill, they may have had to fork out 3 to 5% of the total bill out of their own pockets to back of house staff. Normally it's 3% of the total bill that is paid over to back of house staff.. something to bear in mind when you decide not to give a tip to the server when it's not their fault the food was crap because you will have cost them $$$.
Strange that you began with 'don't shoot the messenger', then encouraged shooting the messenger rather then doing it later...

As I said, what you have to lose is what you're eating. If you complain, anything that comes out afterwards is going to be highly suspect about what's actually on it. Complaining after the event is the best way to deal with it. You don't have to undergo conflict, they don't have to pretend to apologise, and you can share with other people what it was like to help them make a decision about whether or not they want to go. Complaining in person would reverse all of those good things. It's not like I'd be going back anyway, so what would the point be in making everyone undergo a pointless charade?

As I said, IDing only some parties is essentially guaranteed to piss off somebody, because one person is being told they look too young, and the other is being told they don't. Universal carding avoids that problem. I've laughed when I've been asked to leave a liquor store because I didn't have a driving licence on me, but that was a consistently enforced policy. Discretion means judgements are being made which means insults are being made. You don't know to whom, you just know it's happening.

(This particular instance, the tip was extremely generous for the overall service, and considering the tax fraud waiters regularly boast about being involved in, I'd happily see customers refuse it altogether).
Old Dec 8th 2018, 7:55 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I used one today in Shoppers Drug place, it was a relatively okay experience. What they need to incorporate is face recognition technology so they they (the machines) personalize your experience. A bit like Siri, Alexa or Google home.

Last edited by Oink; Dec 8th 2018 at 8:09 am.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 11:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
at The Keg, not only will they replace your meal often they will comp the meal as well... or give a hefty discount or a free dessert / coffee or maybe a drink. Complaining after you have left and leaving an adverse review helps nobody, least of all you - if the restaurant is truly terrible, the service appalling and the food inedible, you wouldn't go back there anyway, so can't benefit from management offering to give you a credit against another meal another day - so what's the point?
The last time I was at The Keg I told the server that my prime rib was tough and not very good and they didn't do anything about it, but it was a staff dinner and I wasn't paying anyway. I won't go into another Keg if I can help it, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
Edit: If I ever have to go there again, I'll order a burger. It's pretty hard to screw that up.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 8th 2018 at 11:47 am.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 12:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
...Complaining after the event is the best way to deal with it. ....
The only guarantee about that is you won't be happy.
It's not like I'd be going back anyway, so what would the point be in making everyone undergo a pointless charade?
Each to their own but what if it had been changed to your satisfaction? You'll have missed that and if it had been a one-off you'd miss the better service next time.

As I said, IDing only some parties is essentially guaranteed to piss off somebody, because one person is being told they look too young, and the other is being told they don't.
Maybe this is a bit glass half empty. Perhaps for every couple where one is pissed off in another couple neither will be pissed off. Perhaps somebody else may react completely differently. The person asked might feel happy that they were thought of younger looking.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 1:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The only guarantee about that is you won't be happy.

Each to their own but what if it had been changed to your satisfaction? You'll have missed that and if it had been a one-off you'd miss the better service next time.

Maybe this is a bit glass half empty. Perhaps for every couple where one is pissed off in another couple neither will be pissed off. Perhaps somebody else may react completely differently. The person asked might feel happy that they were thought of younger looking.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In the customer service world you cannot make everyone happy all of the time. Some people will be unhappy no matter how good things are.

People in hotels are the worst. The things people complain about such ad leaving bad reviews over the weather, roads being closed to parades or road work, police or fire sirens to name a few things I have had people complain about that is in no way shape or form within the power of the hotel.

Also complaints left about government imposed taxes.

I hate customer service, spend time in it and you realize how unpleasent people really are.

I dont care for the US/Canada custom for tipping so I will generally not eat out and be forced/pressured to tip.

As server wage increases in BC, I dont see why tipping is even necessary the wage in a couple years will be the same as everyone else on min wage who dont get tips.

By 2021 min wage will be 15.20 across the board as its currently planned.

Current is 12.65 general min wage and 11.40 for liquor servers.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 1:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
People in hotels are the worst.
The hotel over-booked for whatever reason and there was a Shrine convention and as porter I had to try to set them up in smaller rooms, hastily converted sales rooms, and even get others to accept rooms in other, smaller hotels where we could find them. Good luck negotiating with a drunken Shriner who's in the throes of righteous indignation. After the 4th or 5th bad one, when they demanded to speak with the manager (1 AM by now), I just started pointing to the closest phone and saying "Just pick up and when the switchboard answers ask for room 721." It was as much his problem as mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.