Seen in the back yard

Seen in the back yard

Old May 17th 2008, 6:35 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seen in the back yard

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Cool Picks.

Note to self: Get a Buddleia or whatever it is and a hummingbird feeder
Don't bother buying a blown glass feeder. They look very nice but drip constantly. I treated myself to two but am back on the good old plastic ones now.
Old May 18th 2008, 12:15 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hummingbirds are so cool to watch...and also signal summer might be around the corner at last. Heres my best effort;
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/d...ium/hummer.jpg

This is what we saw (briefly) in the back yard last weekend (but not my picture)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_pennanti.jpg
Never seen one before, although the wife has. Hand up if you know what it is Not that Im fishing for clues...
Is it a fisher???? Seem to remember Steve P or ( hangman ) as he called his self back then teasing me about these acouple of yrs ago..........
Old May 18th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

We put 2 or 3 feeders out each year on the deck and they come up and feed even when there are a lot of people around.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

BC Hopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look closely you can see one guy sitting on the beak of another.

I have 4 feeders around the deck and its so noisy sitting out there, its like being under the flight path at Heathrow! At first they were great fun but I think I am going to have to move the feeders further away. I have one just outside the window and its always got birds on it so I don't think you can put them too close to the house.

The fancy glass one's are nice to look at but I have a friend who has one and the birds don't use it, they prefer the plain red ones. They seem to replicate the flowers better, perhaps the glass ones don't look like flowers.

The crows have learn't how to hover and are eating the suet from the woodpecker feeder on the tree... arhh!!! They can eat a whole suet in a couple of hours, its costing me a fortune and the woodpecker doesn't get a look in. Any ideas anyone??? I am going to have to put some big spikes around the feeder so they can't get so close.

Help, 3 times I have attached the photo but it isn't working......

Last edited by BC Hopefuls; May 18th 2008 at 9:03 pm.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BC Hopefuls

Help, 3 times I have attached the photo but it isn't working......
If you look at the message at the top of the forum called "Site Problems" you'll see at the present time you can't upload files.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you look at the message at the top of the forum called "Site Problems" you'll see at the present time you can't upload files.
Doh!!! Thanks Steve. I kept getting the message 'not a valid image' so I saved it as jpg, bmp, gif and it still wouldn't work. I'll try and add it later, shame it is such a cute photo!!!
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

OK, picture is uploaded now. Check out the guy in the bottom left.

We have 5 feeders up on the deck at the moment. I am thinking of moving them to the other end of the yard as they are so noisy!! A girl needs some quiet while she's drinking her wine in the sun
Attached Thumbnails Seen in the back yard-hummers.jpg  
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:00 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Saw this little fella in the back yard yesterday. First time I've seen a humming bird.
Great picture
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

I have resident humming birds all year long, there are some humming birds that do not migrate in the winter. once in a while when I am in the garden they will buzz past my head to let me know I am in there way they are definately beautiful to watch my feeders get the busiest early in the morning and at dusk.

Island Girl
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Note to self: Get a Buddleia or whatever it is ...
One of these:

Old May 22nd 2008, 7:00 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We used to call them butterfly bushes, back home
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:01 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by BC Hopefuls
OK, picture is uploaded now. Check out the guy in the bottom left.

We have 5 feeders up on the deck at the moment. I am thinking of moving them to the other end of the yard as they are so noisy!! A girl needs some quiet while she's drinking her wine in the sun
Cheeky sod...like his style hehe
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:40 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Do you think Buddleia would survive here in Bragg Creek. Had a super one in the UK. Want to attract as many butterflies as possible, we have already had some Camberwell Beauties around, sorry they are called Mourning Cloke here.
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

Hi Bev
I've never tried to grow a Buddleia here, but a friend of mine in Springbank has a couple of really nice bushes in her front yard.
Your best bet is to ask Jane Boyce at Stonecreek garden centre, she has lived here forever and knows all there is to know about what plants do or do not grow and also what gets eaten by the deer.
See you,
Georgie
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:17 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wild George
Hi Bev
I've never tried to grow a Buddleia here, but a friend of mine in Springbank has a couple of really nice bushes in her front yard.
Your best bet is to ask Jane Boyce at Stonecreek garden centre, she has lived here forever and knows all there is to know about what plants do or do not grow and also what gets eaten by the deer.
See you,
Georgie
Thanks Georgie, will look her up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.