secure shipping home

Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:18 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: secure shipping home

So what's the import duty on an xmas present sent to blighty from Canada?

I've only had the duty problem on stuff sent into Canada.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know about Canpost specifically, but other BEers have reported a number of times that tracking of things shipped using a national mail carrier comes "umplugged" at the hand-off and that while you can track the item from where you last saw it, to the airport where it left the country, the tracking/traceability stops and that the sending service pretty much shrugs their shoulders, saying well we handed it to them on X date, we can't help you any more.

Be aware that the insurance value becomes the import value for import duty - I got burned by that mistake once too, giving a generous value for an item in case it was lost or damaged but then got stuck with a nasty customs bill.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
So what's the import duty on an xmas present sent to blighty from Canada?

I've only had the duty problem on stuff sent into Canada.
I don't think it makes much difference if it's a gift over about £20 value. I think I used to pay about 10% on mail order stuff from the US imported into the UK, plus VAT.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 12:16 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

We've had masses of problems with items shipped to us by DHL as the local courier (Loomis) are worse than useless, so sometimes it depends on who they use for delivery. USPS / Canada post don't bother trying to deliver anything and just leave a note in the mailbox that we have a parcel to collect