Wikiposts

Seattle POE??

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:43 am
Finally I'm LANDED

desire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Seattle POE??

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Fly to Victoria via Vancouver? I suspect you might have a problem transiting the US even with your ultimate destination being Canada. i.e. you might not get let into the US or in fact even onto the plane without a return ticket to UK, which clearly you wont have. Worth checking into before you go!
The ticket is already booked one way. So i will be using the Visa waiver scheme to enter the US.My apologies,i've never been to the US before.

I was under the impression that if i purchased a return ticket without any intention of returning the customes would frown on it. I presumed that if they asked me how long i intended to stay in victoria and my ticket had X amount of time on it which didn't match up to what i was intending to do(which is work while applying for my PR,Then they would smell a herring and that would go right against me.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:12 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desire68
The ticket is already booked one way. So i will be using the Visa waiver scheme to enter the US.My apologies,i've never been to the US before.

I was under the impression that if i purchased a return ticket without any intention of returning the customes would frown on it. I presumed that if they asked me how long i intended to stay in victoria and my ticket had X amount of time on it which didn't match up to what i was intending to do(which is work while applying for my PR,Then they would smell a herring and that would go right against me.
Well you needn't actually show your return ticket to Canadian Immigration but even if you did I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. I think your bigger issue is going to the US first on your way to Canada and whether on a one way ticket you would get in under the visa waiver. You might potentially find you are Ok to get into Canada but get turned around and sent back to UK because the Americans don't want to let you in.

Worth doing some more research into. Of course flying direct to Canada would mean no issue but presumably you are flying via Seattle 'cos its cheaper than Vanc - Victoria.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:21 am
Finally I'm LANDED

desire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to behold

Well you needn't actually show your return ticket to Canadian Immigration but even if you did I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. I think your bigger issue is going to the US first on your way to Canada and whether on a one way ticket you would get in under the visa waiver. You might potentially find you are Ok to get into Canada but get turned around and sent back to UK because the Americans don't want to let you in.

Worth doing some more research into. Of course flying direct to Canada would mean no issue but presumably you are flying via Seattle 'cos its cheaper than Vanc - Victoria.
Correct,

When i booked the flights for me and my family i was looking for the cheapest way to do it. I didn't book to go through the US because it was the cheaper option,going through the US was just part and parcel of my cheapest flight to Canada.

What can i do now? I'm supposed to be flying out on the 29th Next Sunday! to start work on the wednesday. How in God's name can i do anything about it now?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I phoned CBSA’s toll free number ( 1-800-461-9999 ). The person who answered the phone did not know the answer to my question (namely, what happens if a PR “lands” at Victoria International Airport when CBSA staff no longer are on duty). However, he kindly transferred me to the CBSA department at Victoria International Airport.

The CBSA agent who answered the phone at the airport was surprised to hear that CBSA’s website stated that they were on duty only till 19:15. He said they are on duty until 01:00 (that is, 1.00 a.m.), seven days a week. He said that they were on duty as long as the airport was open and receiving flights.

When I mentioned a flight that landed at 19:00, he asked, “Oh, is that Horizon Air’s flight from Seattle?” I knew you’d be arriving from Seattle, so I said, “Yes.” He said, “Oh, there’s no problem with that flight. We’re very familiar with it. It’s quite common for us to process new settlers who arrive on that flight.”

This does not answer your questions about connectng through Seattle on a connecting ticket. However, it seems to allay your fears about what will happen when you "land" in Victoria.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:40 am
Finally I'm LANDED

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I phoned CBSA’s toll free number ( 1-800-461-9999 ). The person who answered the phone did not know the answer to my question (namely, what happens if a PR “lands” at Victoria International Airport when CBSA staff no longer are on duty). However, he kindly transferred me to the CBSA department at Victoria International Airport.

The CBSA agent who answered the phone at the airport was surprised to hear that CBSA’s website stated that they were on duty only till 19:15. He said they are on duty until 01:00 (that is, 1.00 a.m.), seven days a week. He said that they were on duty as long as the airport was open and receiving flights.

When I mentioned a flight that landed at 19:00, he asked, “Oh, is that Horizon Air’s flight from Seattle?” I knew you’d be arriving from Seattle, so I said, “Yes.” He said, “Oh, there’s no problem with that flight. We’re very familiar with it. It’s quite common for us to process new settlers who arrive on that flight.”

This does not answer your questions about connectng through Seattle on a connecting ticket. However, it seems to allay your fears about what will happen when you "land" in Victoria.
Thanks Judy,

As you can imagin,i'm very worried at the moment and with all the stress of packing/moving just isn't going down too well at the moment!
So thanks again for your efforts.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:42 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You're very welcome, desire68.

In case anyone else is as pedantic as I am, I’ve just realized how the website and the CBSA agent with whom I spoke both could be right.

After I’d typed my last message, I remembered that the CBSA agent had said it did occasionally happen that people with PR visas, work permits, etc., landed after the immigration officers had gone off duty. However, in those instances CBSA agents did double duty and performed both the immigration function (which is not their usual job) and the customs function (which is what they normally do). He said that, while the immigration side of things ordinarily is not their responsibility, they are sufficiently familiar with immigration procedures that they can step up to the plate when necessary.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, Judy, you deserve three gold stars for your assistance to people on this forum. You are a star yourself
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

What can i do now? I'm supposed to be flying out on the 29th Next Sunday! to start work on the wednesday. How in God's name can i do anything about it now?
OK, In my attempt to rise to Judy's legendary levels of helpfulness.......

Taking a look at the Visa waiver program page on the US Embassy website it seems to say that providing you have a return or onward ticket to your final destination you'll be OK. You and your family are effectively transitting US in your travel to Canada so whilst you will have to clear immigration in the US I believe you should be OK.

This assumes of course you have a machine readable passport & no criminal convictions etc.

Read the small print in detail here:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

HTH,

AX
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

From your link "Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;"

He's not a legal PR of Canada at his point of entering the US. I wouldn't be 100% confident they'll allow him into the US on the VWP. Having the Canadian PR visa in his passport might help but it doesn't confirm that the landing will be successful, it might still be denied as far as US officers know.

Has anyone here transited the US on a one-way prior to becoming landed in Canada? Any success stories in the archives?

Taking a look at the Visa waiver program page on the US Embassy website it seems to say that providing you have a return or onward ticket to your final destination you'll be OK. You and your family are effectively transitting US in your travel to Canada so whilst you will have to clear immigration in the US I believe you should be OK.

This assumes of course you have a machine readable passport & no criminal convictions etc.

HTH,

AX
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:55 am
Finally I'm LANDED

HTH,

AX
Yep,i have a brand new style bio-metric passport(the whole family have these) and no criminal records(i have up to date police checks going with me!)
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:00 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Would it help if you contacted the US Embassy in London and explained the situation to them? They may put a note on the Immigration system that could help ease it when you do arrive in the US.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:17 am
Finally I'm LANDED

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Would it help if you contacted the US Embassy in London and explained the situation to them? They may put a note on the Immigration system that could help ease it when you do arrive in the US.
I'll contact them tomorrow to get all the info.I'll post up the details when i get them.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:17 am
Finally I'm LANDED

Ok,i talked to the embassy and it was as if my question was wasting their time. Also,the "i told you so look" that my wife gave me will be burnt on my face until i get a darker sun tan!!

I was told that as i have a WP in my possession i would be fine. when i asked about my one way ticket i was told that this only applies to visitors and i would have been in trouble if i couldn't prove that i wasn't intending to work while traveling on a one way ticket!

I was then told that it's up to me where i get my permit stamped,I could chose either Saettle or Victoria.

I hope that this info helps someone else to avoid what i've just been through for the last 48hrs. Thank you to everyone that has helped me on this especially Judy in Calgary who i feel went beyond the call of duty to find out the info from Victoria for me!!

Mike
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Good news (that was the US embassy you asked, right?)

Write down the person's name you spoke to and stick it inside your passport, just in case you get any grief at Seattle.

Ok,i talked to the embassy and it was as if my question was wasting their time. Also,the "i told you so look" that my wife gave me will be burnt on my face until i get a darker sun tan!!

I was told that as i have a WP in my possession i would be fine. when i asked about my one way ticket i was told that this only applies to visitors and i would have been in trouble if i couldn't prove that i wasn't intending to work while traveling on a one way ticket!

I was then told that it's up to me where i get my permit stamped,I could chose either Saettle or Victoria.

I hope that this info helps someone else to avoid what i've just been through for the last 48hrs. Thank you to everyone that has helped me on this especially Judy in Calgary who i feel went beyond the call of duty to find out the info from Victoria for me!!

Mike
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:21 am
Finally I'm LANDED

Ok peeps,

I should let you all know how it all went,straight from the horses mouth as it were!

So i left Heathrow on Sunday July 29th with my family in tow(wife and a 6 and 3 year old) was very sad to leave my dad and brother and sister behind along with a host of friends that just had to come to the airport(this is very bad if your an emotional type!) and off we went through our first checks out of the UK.

All was well,we boarded the flight and had a very good time. the flight was 9.5hrs to Seattle and we had some good seats so everyone was comfortable.

We got to Seattle and got down to passport control and to my Horror,there were about six lines deep of passengers trying to go through One at a Time!!

This was far too slow and i had a connection to make with only 1hr 40mins to do it in from the time i landed. I went to one of the persons in charge and asked if i could go to the front sa we were running out of time. She asked the person at the front of the que if they minded and they didn't so off to the front we all went.

We were scanned and sent to another part of passport control for further verification which was fine. We then ran to the baggage pick up collected all 7 of our cases and proceeded to our gate with 15mins to go.

Of course when we got to our gate the flight was in the air and to mine and my wifes frustration there wasn't going to be another flight for 5hrs (23.00hrs) so we sat in Seattle for a couple of hrs before my wife suddenly realises that in our rush to get to the flight we had left the buggy/stroller on the baggage claim belt.

So now as well as having all the cases to deal with we now have the problem of being without a buggy should my 6yr old fall asleep!! which he did and my wife carried him while i battled with two cart loads of cases!!

We get our 23.00 flight and Arrive in Victoria at about 23.30. By this time both kids are sleeping,we have no buggy and hand luggage to consider.

We get all 7 cases but no buggy so we fill out a trace for the buggy and head towards passport control. We are the last people to go through and by now it's midnight. The officer doesn't look happy and is not happy to hear that i need to be processed as i have a WP. A series of very abrupt stony questions follow(but i'm ready for this so i simply answer them and provide all the info that he requests!)

He then looks at me and says."I'm only going to give you 1 year on this WP!

So i say ok but i'm not comfortable with this and he simply glares at me,almost challenging me to confront him so i do! I tell him that i was expecting at least 2 years and on hearing this he tells me that he'll consider it and that i should go back to my seat!

It's 00.40 now,both kids are sleeping,one in my wifes arms the other on her lap and Rose(my dear wife is dropping in and out of sleep,struggling to stay awake).

At 00.55 he calls me back in and it's weird,he's almost apologetic now telling me that the system has locked my WP for 1year only but i should come back to the passport control office to renew it for a further year. He even said good luck before finally letting us enter Victoria.

My manager saw that i had missed the flight and went home only to return at 23.00 hrs with a people carrier(my company vehicle) to get over to the hotel.So,half asleep,on the wrong side of the road,in the wrong side of the car i manage to get to the hotel,check in,put the kids to bed,and reflect with Rose on our venture so far.

It's Wednesday morning as i type this(06.10) and so far we have got our bank account,got our SIN numbers,Visited the Driver motor vehicle office for the info on taking our BC driving test(Note you DON'T get your UK licence taken from you when you pass your BC driving test!) visited the house that we will be renting in Langford,Oh and the buggy turned up at our door yesterday.

All in all i feel good about it all and when i see the life which can be obtained in Victoria i know that even with the small trials,it's all worth it!

Rose loves it here and the kids are having a great time.we even went to see the location of my 6 year olds school which is a 5min walk from the house.

Well i'm off to get some breakfast before i get ready for my first day of work(i'm even excited about that!) I hope that this helps someone who may be feeling a little nervous about there move to Canada/Victoria and feel free to ask me anything,if i don't know the answer,i'll try to find out for you!!

Regards,

Mike