British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Seatac plane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/seatac-plane-916004/)

Shard Aug 13th 2018 3:12 am

Seatac plane

Richard Russel...seemed like a nice guy. Sad to listen to the dialogue with the control tower in his last hour of life. Amazing if he did indeed learn to fly the plane from flight sim games.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 13th 2018 3:56 am

Re: Seatac plane

When the full investigation comes out will be interesting to see if he learned solely through flight sim games and internet videos. As he worked on the ramp and was apparently part of the tow crew he would have been trained for basic start up of electrical power getting the APU started, but he had to learn how to start the engines somewhere, it's not typically something taught to ground crew as its not applicable to their duties.

Shard Aug 13th 2018 7:27 am

That's true. He seemed to be able to fly it well though, including a loop I think, being up in the air for over an hour.

magnumpi Aug 13th 2018 11:23 am

We’re was ATC when he took off ? Did they not notice a stray plane !!!

Zoe Bell Aug 13th 2018 11:29 am

And just what would you expect ATC to do
the last I heard they weren't equipped to shoot down planes

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 13th 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12547573)

They were supposed to run out onto the runway with a red flag and wave him to a stop. :sarcasm:

caretaker Aug 13th 2018 11:37 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12547571)
We’re was ATC when he took off ? Did they not notice a stray plane !!!

I'm no detective, but I'd bet the ATC was in the control tower. The first indication they noticed a stray plane was when he pulled out of the service area and people began reporting it, then when the ATC asked him over and over on the radio who the hell he was, beginning as he taxied out to the runway. If this is the first time you've heard about this story you should check out the news articles and watch the video and hear the voice recording.

caretaker Aug 13th 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12547573)

There were 2 F-15's ready to shoot him down if he headed for the city.

Shard Aug 13th 2018 11:40 am

ATC seemed to handle the situation very calmly and professionally. Trying to talk the guy down.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 13th 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12547582)
I'm no detective, but I'd bet the ATC was in the control tower.

No they weren't, they were out the back, having a smoke!

magnumpi Aug 13th 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12547582)
I'm no detective, but I'd bet the ATC was in the control tower. The first indication they noticed a stray plane was when he pulled out of the service area and people began reporting it, then when the ATC asked him over and over on the radio who the hell he was, beginning as he taxied out to the runway. If this is the first time you've heard about this story you should check out the news articles and watch the video and hear the voice recording.

ahh ok, no I just caught this on TV last night and now a post on here, has been so busy enjoying life and not seen a lot of TV or online stuffs

Usually a plane must ask permission to taxi, I bet if there is a next time they will send a security vehilcle sooner and make an attempt to stop the plane making it as far as a runway

i will find an article on this today thanks

caretaker Aug 13th 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12547604)

De nada.
One of my cousins was a test pilot on the Dash-8 and he said it's the safest thing in the air, said he tried to crash it and couldn't, so that might be one reason the guy was airborne as long as he was.

BristolUK Aug 13th 2018 12:46 pm

Has nobody considered he was able to fly thanks to his Joe 90 specs?

Zoe Bell Aug 13th 2018 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12547604)

ahh ok, no I just caught this on TV last night and now a post on here, has been so busy enjoying life and not seen a lot of TV or online stuffs

Usually a plane must ask permission to taxi, I bet if there is a next time they will send a security vehilcle sooner and make an attempt to stop the plane making it as far as a runway

Again, I'll ask you how you expect to stop a reasonably large aircraft from going where it wants to?
Are you expecting the driver of the vehicle to risk their life? Are you volunteering to stand in front of props that could mince you into small pieces and hold up your hand to say "stop!"?

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 13th 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12547628)
Again, I'll ask you how you expect to stop a reasonably large aircraft from going where it wants to?
Are you expecting the driver of the vehicle to risk their life? Are you volunteering to stand in front of props that could mince you into small pieces and hold up your hand to say "stop!"?

I think somebody gets their inspiration from Die Hard - all we need now is Bruce Willis!