Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence and PR

Scottish Independence and PR

Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence and PR

Originally Posted by jimf
Of course migration is a uniquely Scottish phenomenom and only started when the union started.
I was replying to this comment by burks "Processing times will go through the roof as more Scottish people plan on emigrating"
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is, if Scotland becomes independent, will all you Scot-Brits keep your British passports and become dual Scot-Brit citizens? Or will you have your UK citizenship forcefully removed and given scottish? Or will you have an option to pick between the two?

If at any case you keep British citizenship it shouldn't be a problem. If all of a sudden your nationality is changed, it would be a huge problem.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The real problem is it'll ruin all the "an Englishman,Welshman and Scotchman walk in a pub" jokes.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
The real question is, if Scotland becomes independent, will all you Scot-Brits keep your British passports and become dual Scot-Brit citizens? Or will you have your UK citizenship forcefully removed and given scottish? Or will you have an option to pick between the two?

If at any case you keep British citizenship it shouldn't be a problem. If all of a sudden your nationality is changed, it would be a huge problem.
I believe Scots will retain their British passports although Scottish passports will be available.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I believe Scots will retain their British passports although Scottish passports will be available.
Ah. Now that'll be a controversial one. Mind you, if an independent Scotland joins the EU it won't be an issue. Sort of like the Canadian passports and Quebec. I would vote that if the darn Quebecers want to separate they lose their Canadian passports too, and they can't use the Canadian $$. In Scotland it's a little different as there is more of a divide.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Probably, but only on an ancestry basis. Their kids could probably have it, if they are born after independence. However, their kinds would be Scottish only, by then.

I think the matter would be legally treated the same, as if a British mother is giving birth to a child overseas, like in Canada.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
Probably, but only on an ancestry basis. Their kids could probably have it, if they are born after independence. However, their kinds would be Scottish only, by then.

I think the matter would be legally treated the same, as if a British mother is giving birth to a child overseas, like in Canada.
I agree... I also think some agreement like the Common Travel Area with the ROI will be reached with an independent Scotland
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
I agree... I also think some agreement like the Common Travel Area with the ROI will be reached with an independent Scotland
That would be dependent upon Scotland not joining the Schengen Agreement, which it may have to do if it were able to join the EU.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would be dependent upon Scotland not joining the Schengen Agreement, which it may have to do if it were able to join the EU.
Ah.. True. Could it not wiggle out of it like the UK and Ireland did? In the interests of keeping the British isles border-free?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

For those who are interested, even if you don't have a vote you can indicate what you would vote in the BE poll in the MBTTUK forum.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
No comment haha, anyone applying for a postal vote then? Think I might...
I thought you had to be actually living in Scotland to be eligible to vote? Nothing to do with being Scottish?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Thankfully I'm back from Canada just in time to cast my vote.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be on the electoral register to vote. You can vote by post or by proxy.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Bit of an open ended question here but what are the possible implications of an Independent Scotland on PR Applications.

I intend on applying in June of this year, Independence could be a reality after September...
According to Salmond it wouldn't formally happen until 2016.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a true English man , i think is a pity the English can't vote as well, as it would be a "yes " land slide ( only joking i love Kenny Daglish)..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.