British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Scots give the UK a bad reputation again. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/scots-give-uk-bad-reputation-again-849124/)

Former Lancastrian Dec 18th 2014 7:25 pm

Scots give the UK a bad reputation again.

Well those skirt wearing heathens from north of Carlisle have gone and done it again. We know the UK many years ago had a very bad reputation for the types of food we ate and our not so great culinary skills. We have improved over the years and produced some pretty good dishes and chefs.
But oh no the Scots will now set us back after these delightful menu items.

[SIZE="7"]FFS DEEP FRIED MINCE PIES AND YULE LOG'S

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...e-logs-4835338

ChrisBan Dec 18th 2014 8:33 pm

Re: Scots give the UK a bad reputation again.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11507138)
Well those skirt wearing heathens from north of Carlisle have gone and done it again. We know the UK many years ago had a very bad reputation for the types of food we ate and our not so great culinary skills. We have improved over the years and produced some pretty good dishes and chefs.
But oh no the Scots will now set us back after these delightful menu items.

[SIZE="7"]FFS DEEP FRIED MINCE PIES AND YULE LOG'S

DEEP FRIED fried Yule logs, mince pies and even Christmas puddings all for sale at one chip shop - Mirror Online

Deep fried yule log..... :sick::banghead::scarper:

caretaker Dec 18th 2014 9:58 pm

They didn't get the rep from the food.
"Yesterday in Wembley a bus driver was assaulted by a man who was obviously intoxicated and refusing to pay his fare. Police are holding 1500 Scotsmen for questioning."
From The Two Ronnies

scootb Dec 19th 2014 4:13 am

All I'm gonna say is look at the crap you southern **** call black pudding!

leith Dec 19th 2014 6:40 am

Of course, the jellied eels and tripe from England are so much better. BTW, a kilt is not a skirt, and doesn't it seem rather odd that Prince William was sent to that heathen university in St. Andrews? Your racist comments have no place on this board.

Chris2222 Dec 19th 2014 6:53 am

dont knock it pal, awite

Former Lancastrian Dec 19th 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by leith (Post 11507565)
Of course, the jellied eels and tripe from England are so much better. BTW, a kilt is not a skirt, and doesn't it seem rather odd that Prince William was sent to that heathen university in St. Andrews? Your racist comments have no place on this board.

Nope its definitely a skirt as I just checked my wifes closet and she has several like that but not all in a tartan design.
It must be my computer as I have several fonts like Times New Roman, Arial, Georgia and Tahoma but no Taking The Piss font.

scot47 Dec 19th 2014 1:38 pm

Racist crap. Can we now expect jokes about kikes, darkies and wogs ?

Almost Canadian Dec 19th 2014 2:04 pm

Danny Bhoy:

Oakvillian Dec 19th 2014 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11507851)
Racist crap. Can we now expect jokes about kikes, darkies and wogs ?

Don't be absurd. Scottish is not a race, it is at best a regional identity. There's a bit of a difference.

Would you like some help lifting that chip off your shoulder? It's a bit big, isn't it?

AlliF Dec 19th 2014 4:28 pm

Yet again one toss-pot chip shop starts selling something as a gimmick and before you know it idiots will presume that that is a staple item of the Scottish diet. :rolleyes:
Typical classy cheap-shot journalism from the Mirror. :yawn:

I imagine this will go the same way as the deep fried mars bar.
From what I have read the shop that started it all in Stonehaven actually says the majority of people that order the item are not Scottish - 80% of them from either England or other countries, just because of the novelty of the item.
Other chippers that have been asked whether they sell it - only about 20% said yes (apart form anything else it ruins the oil) and of those the majority were selling an average of one or two a day. Whoopeee, got them running all the way to the bank.
I have never had the desire to eat one and have NEVER met anyone who has eaten one yet. (although I note that there is a shop in Winnipeg (aka proud Slushy/Slurpee capital of the world) that sells them :eek: )

Oakvillian Dec 19th 2014 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11508015)
Yet again one toss-pot chip shop starts selling something as a gimmick and before you know it idiots will presume that that is a staple item of the Scottish diet. :rolleyes:
Typical classy cheap-shot journalism from the Mirror. :yawn:

I imagine this will go the same way as the deep fried mars bar.
From what I have read the shop that started it all in Stonehaven actually says the majority of people that order the item are not Scottish - 80% of them from either England or other countries, just because of the novelty of the item.
Other chippers that have been asked whether they sell it - only about 20% said yes (apart form anything else it ruins the oil) and of those the majority were selling an average of one or two a day. Whoopeee, got them running all the way to the bank.
I have never had the desire to eat one and have NEVER met anyone who has eaten one yet. (although I note that there is a shop in Winnipeg (aka proud Slushy/Slurpee capital of the world) that sells them :eek: )

Again with the flying off the handle. Lighten up, you might give yourself a heart attack, what with all that deep-fried stuff coursing through your veins...

The chippy in the article (did you even read it?) was in Duns, just north of the Tweed near Berwick, miles and miles from Stonehaven. The owner seemed to delight in telling the journalist that the mince pies, yule log etc were "very popular" and that she was frying them due to public demand. I'd imagine most of her customers are local; it's not exactly a tourist destination, is it? But "local" to Duns presumably includes a few folk from south of the border.

It's a Christmas gimmick, and was reported as such, with not a single mention of mars bars. Hell, it was even filed under "weird news," which I'm guessing is a bit like the "and finally" piece on TV news...

bats Dec 19th 2014 5:41 pm

Sounds quite nice actually. A bit of batter betters.

AlliF Dec 19th 2014 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11508033)
Again with the flying off the handle. Lighten up, you might give yourself a heart attack, what with all that deep-fried stuff coursing through your veins...

The chippy in the article (did you even read it?) was in Duns, just north of the Tweed near Berwick, miles and miles from Stonehaven. The owner seemed to delight in telling the journalist that the mince pies, yule log etc were "very popular" and that she was frying them due to public demand. I'd imagine most of her customers are local; it's not exactly a tourist destination, is it? But "local" to Duns presumably includes a few folk from south of the border.

It's a Christmas gimmick, and was reported as such, with not a single mention of mars bars. Hell, it was even filed under "weird news," which I'm guessing is a bit like the "and finally" piece on TV news...

Yes I did read it thanks and If you read my reply properly you will see I was saying it (the Yule log) would go the same way as the deep fried mars bar - which was from Stonehaven - and after the initial gimmick aspect wore off very few (sensible) people could give a toss about it.
I very rarely eat fried food thanks, but obviously Scot-bashing seems to make you feel happy and superior.
Don't tell me not to react to the nastiness of your tone though, just because you think you're amusing.

scot47 Dec 19th 2014 7:13 pm

Racist crap. Vile.