SCAM BAITING

Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:55 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default SCAM BAITING

Just a bit of fun

The most important element of scam-baiting, however, is simply to waste as much of the scammer's time as possible. The idea is that when a scammer is preoccupied with a baiter who has no intention of falling victim to the scam, it prevents the scammer in question from conning genuine victims out of their money.

Here's the scam

KIJIJI Advert for a Honda CRV. 2004 $4,600

Reply from [email protected]
(Mods leave this email as this is a car sales scammers email and should be shown)

Hi,

The vehicle is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad $4600.It's in perfect working order, no wear and tear, no scratches, it wasn't involved in any accidents.I moved to Spain with my work but I left the vehicle at a shipping company in Thunder Bay, Ontario.All shipping costs and insurance during transportation are included in the price, I won a promotion(1 free shipping). You will also receive all necessary documents in order to finalize the purchase.Email me back if you're interested and have further questions.

Thanks

I wrote

So you ship the car, i have a look and pay you cash. Are you flying back to do the sale.

Calvin writes, lol Calvin my Ar...s

Look how this works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
2. They will send us the forms by email - for you about the payment.
3. I will send the vehicle to your location and you will send a 50% deposit to eBay.
4. After you will inspect the vehicle and decide to keep it, they will transfer the money into my account.

RETURN POLICY:
If by any reason the vehicle is not as described, or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because the vehicle is in excellent condition.
As soon as the vehicle arrives, you will test it and if it does not match 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 5 working days since the arrival date. In this case you will send me the vehicle in the same condition you received it.

The estimated time of delivery is 2 to 5 days, with no scratches, it is professionally crated.

Please provide me with your full name and shipping address so I can register the deal with eBay.

Thanks

Will continue tomorrow.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SCAM BAITING

Seen this on our local internet news sites classified section more than once.
My son responded to an ad for unbelievable deal on a car and same exact sales tactic was used. We reported it and it was removed.
There have been several others over the months and i wonder if anyone actually falls for them as its clearly not legit.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Sadly lots of people do.

I read a news article on the BBC stating that even the "you've won the lottery, just send £X handling fee and we'll send you the cash, or (it would seem the more successful) "pay £X admin charge and come to our offices to receive the money" scams even catch a lot of people.

The article stated when busting one of these fraud rings, the serious fraud office were led to Heathrow airport where over a number of weeks they would find people like quite wealthy business men waiting to be picked up by a driver who would never arrive to take them to collect their winnings that didn't exist. They claimed the promise of easy riches clouded the judgement of even seemingly intelligent people.

The police claimed that the true number of people who are scammed will never be known because most people are too embarrassed to admit the error in their judgement
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a bit of fun with one of these scumbags once, but after a few emails back and forth it got boring, and time consuming.

I know you think you are taking up their time so they can't do it to others, but all we are doing is teaching them how to recognise a "counter scam".

Best to just delete and get on with life knowing you are a better human being than they will ever be.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:19 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.419eater.com/ can be quite an amusing read.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:27 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I had a bit of fun with one of these scumbags once, but after a few emails back and forth it got boring, and time consuming.

I know you think you are taking up their time so they can't do it to others, but all we are doing is teaching them how to recognise a "counter scam".

Best to just delete and get on with life knowing you are a better human being than they will ever be.
Well i disagree.

I have time to write to, CALVIN LONG who is selling his HONDA CR-V 2004 on KIJIJI for the reason that anyone who googles his name to check out if he is real will log onto this thread.

Once on the internet it is hard to remove, as you know.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Well i disagree.

I have time to write to, CALVIN LONG who is selling his HONDA CR-V 2004 on KIJIJI for the reason that anyone who googles his name to check out if he is real will log onto this thread.

Once on the internet it is hard to remove, as you know.
I check my Yahoo scam folder and scan the senders and if I don't recognise them I delete them. Not interested in geting into a dialog with them, waste of MY time.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Keith
I check my Yahoo scam folder and scan the senders and if I don't recognise them I delete them. Not interested in geting into a dialog with them, waste of MY time.
Thats not how it works.

They place what look like legit adds in Kijiji, Craigs, Auto Trader ect and get you that way.

Must work as police fraud and internet people are after them.

Any how the baiting continues I send my details

Mike Chung welhung @

Big Bad Boss Auto Sales

399 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa, Ontario

Hope this helps speed up the deal. Have you got any other pics, inside the hood would be good.

Thaks Again

Mike

Scammer writes

I have attached some photos to my email. I will register the transaction with ebay tomorrow.

Thanks,

I get a transaction form from ebay

Calvin Long writes and says

Hi,

Let me know if you have received the details from ebay with the payment instructions for the down payment of $2,300.The fees for the westernunion transfer will be around $100.The westernunion fees for payments are even higher than for personal transfers. You can tell the person from the westernunion office that you're sending the money to a relative or a friend. There will be no difference on the payment receipt. You'll just avoid paying some extra fees.

Thanks,

Not all bad then he try to help me save some money, arrhh nice scammer
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Thats not how it works.

They place what look like legit adds in Kijiji, Craigs, Auto Trader ect and get you that way.

Must work as police fraud and internet people are after them.
Never get into any such online buying. Only buy from known companies online and even that rarely.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:56 pm

So now that Calvin Long has sent me all his ready made emails, and has gone to the trouble of setting up an ebay payment account, i decide i want to haggle.

I write

Yeh i got it.
Is the price fixed. I was guna offer $4,000. What you say.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Calvin now tells me

My final price is 4400.

I will counter bid tomw.

Then inform him im away for two weeks, as going on cruise so will continue the scam baiting upon my return. Hope Calvin waits for me and dont sell the motor.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:33 pm

Heres Monica's story, my second scam bait victim

Monica Graves [[email protected]] 2006 Ford Focus SES ZX4

Monica writes

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2006 Ford Focus SES ZX4 .The car is in perfect condition, no damage, perfect shape .My final price is CAD $3,300 including shipping to your address (only in Canada).The car is located in Canada but currently I am located in London,UK because I just got divorced my husband and then I decided to move me closer to my parents. The car was awarded to me in our divorce and I decided to sell the car . As I'm unable to travel in the near future and I don't have anyone to help me with the sale I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay.Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you will receive the car and only after you will inspect and drive the car they will forward the money to me.
I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon and i will also explain you all terms for this transaction.
Regards,
Monica

I am keen to get my hands on this nice too good to be true deal

All sounds good Monica

When shall we meet, here is my business name.

Mike Chung Hunglow @

Big Bad Boss Auto Sales

99 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa, Ontario

Hope this helps speed up the deal. Have you got any other pics, inside the hood would be good

Monica writes

Thank you for still being interested in buying my car, I will respond your inquires, but first let me explain you how the whole process for this transaction will work:
The car will be shipped from St. John's,i have attach you some pics.
I want to tell you that we will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them, eBay will supervise over our transaction. They will take care of the shipping (The car is already at the shipping company with all papers and documents ready to be shipped) and all the small details. You will get the car and you will have 5 calendar days return-policy in which you can decide if you will buy the car or not. In the inspection period you can test the vehicle, go with the vehicle at your local mechanic for inspection.
After your inspection period (5 calendar days) In case you won't like the car (not your case) you will notify eBay and you will send the car back on my expense, if you want to keep it you will also announce eBay, you will send the funds (payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay) and you will keep the car.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number, in order to start the transaction!

Thank you,
Monica

Mmm sound all very similar ehh ?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:08 am

I emailed Monica and told her i am away for two weeks.

Hi Monica

I have to go away for two weeks, business trip, so if he car is still here when I get back I will send all the necessary details then.

Kind Regards
MC

She's guna wait, that's soo nice.

Hi,

ok i wait your details after the trip.

Thank you,
Monica

Just for fun remember, back in two weeks. I did give her my details in my last email, but she obviously can't read English very well
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing this, I am a long time 419scammer reader and must admit I recently thought I would get back in to it and this just wants me to even more.

I love the 419 ones when they managed to get the scammers to send them some money