British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Satisfying Those British Snack Cravings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/satisfying-those-british-snack-cravings-921010/)

Southerner88 Jan 14th 2019 1:54 am

Satisfying Those British Snack Cravings

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here so excuse me if this has been asked before. So i've been in Canada around 4 years now. I'm pretty settled but every now and then I have the urge for something I remember from home. A certain pack of crisps or sweet, heck even a pot noodle! However, the specialized British stores near me tend to focus on a lot of Irish products, and they don't have a huge selection. I guess my question is does anyone out there know of a website, or have a strategy to get those wonderful snacks from back home to here in Canada? Im not afraid to pay a premium, just want a good selection.

Any insight is most welcome.

dbd33 Jan 14th 2019 2:00 am

Re: Satisfying Those British Snack Cravings

Originally Posted by Southerner88 (Post 12621048)
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here so excuse me if this has been asked before. So i've been in Canada around 4 years now. I'm pretty settled but every now and then I have the urge for something I remember from home. A certain pack of crisps or sweet, heck even a pot noodle! However, the specialized British stores near me tend to focus on a lot of Irish products, and they don't have a huge selection. I guess my question is does anyone out there know of a website, or have a strategy to get those wonderful snacks from back home to here in Canada? Im not afraid to pay a premium, just want a good selection.

Any insight is most welcome.

Where are you and what do you want? Most stuff is available around here, just not Giant Buttons.

Southerner88 Jan 14th 2019 2:05 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12621051)
Where are you and what do you want? Most stuff is available around here, just not Giant Buttons.

I'm In Brantford, Ontario. I guess the other issue I have is that I work, a lot! So the connivence of having something shipped to my address would really benefit me. However, I do get the occasional weekend off, so if you can recommend something near that would be fantastic!

dbd33 Jan 14th 2019 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Southerner88 (Post 12621053)
I'm In Brantford, Ontario. I guess the other issue I have is that I work, a lot! So the connivence of having something shipped to my address would really benefit me. However, I do get the occasional weekend off, so if you can recommend something near that would be fantastic!

Bulk Barn, WalMart, Loblaws keep British products in ethnic areas such as Guelph and, especially, Fergus. Orangeville has two British snack shops.

Siouxie Jan 14th 2019 5:13 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12621055)
Bulk Barn, WalMart, Loblaws keep British products in ethnic areas such as Guelph and, especially, Fergus. Orangeville has two British snack shops.

+1 - all of them have Brit products even in non-ethnic areas such as Hamilton :p
Welcome to BE!

If you are really desperate and don't have time to go to any of them then order from Walmart online and get them delivered (provided they aren't classed as 'groceries') or go to Amazon.ca and get them delivered.

There's not much you can't get - provided you don't mind paying a bit more for them.
There's also things like pims which are the same as Jaffa Cakes - or Fortino's (Presidents Choice) chocolate digestives which taste the same as mcvitie's. (they also sell McVities Digestives, as do Walmarts).

Is there something specific you are craving?
:)

dbd33 Jan 14th 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12621082)

Is there something specific you are craving?
:)

Customers?

spouse of scouse Jan 14th 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12621196)
Customers?

:lol:

Southerner, to explain - I'm sure this doesn't apply to you but we get a lot of first time posters asking where they can buy this, that or the other, and then a few posts later magically come up with a website link. Hence the laugh :D

not2old Jan 14th 2019 2:23 pm

the only thing that I crave year round even in summer are those mini single pod 2/pg Christmas pudding (microwave version) that you can only get in a UK supermarket.

if & when I'm over I buy at least 5 packages that will keep forever

spouse of scouse Jan 14th 2019 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12621279)
the only thing that I crave year round even in summer are those mini single pod 2/pg Christmas pudding (microwave version) that you can only get in a UK supermarket.

You can get them in Australia too, Woolies had them for $1 in their post-Christmas clearance.

Siouxie Jan 14th 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12621279)

They were selling off almost mini (serves2) christmas puddings in Metro last week :)

I've always microwaved christmas puddings - that's what the plastic pot is for, innit!

Good to see you here N2O! We've missed you! :D

Danny B Jan 14th 2019 4:31 pm

We gots a Walmart here in Kamloops that has half an aisle full of British grub. Everything from pickled onions to hob nobs.

Shard Jan 14th 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12621347)

Good to see you here N2O! We've missed you! :D

+1

Yeah, long time no see N2O. :)

Tangram Jan 15th 2019 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12621365)
We gots a Walmart here in Kamloops that has half an aisle full of British grub. Everything from pickled onions to hob nobs.

Hob Nobs you $#&*@& !!!

Siouxie Jan 16th 2019 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12622213)

Hob Nobs you $#&*@& !!!

+1!
Walmarts used to sell Chocolate Hobnobs and normal Hobnobs if you ordered online.. but don't seem to have them anymore :(

AlliF Jan 16th 2019 3:54 pm

The local Save on Foods here imports some tesco brand stuff - it’s not as good as Heinz but their baked beans are as close as we can get to the real thing (I don’t know which clown at Heinz thought their British style variety actually tasted anything near British - someone should get them to sit down and compare them side by side lol)