Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Rural Canada and their attitudes towards gays

Rural Canada and their attitudes towards gays

Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural Canada and their attitudes towards gays

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
It's def not a problem Amongst most of the younger people here in Van, although you still get the odd numbskull ! It's the older generations.

I have 2 "not sure what sexuality we are" kids ... According to my patents , it's cos we moved to Canada!
Your parents should be thankful that the problem is just a little sexual ambiguity! .... A little BE discussion about an English girl whose family moved to Florida.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:52 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your parents should be thankful that the problem is just a little sexual ambiguity! .... A little BE discussion about an English girl whose family moved to Florida.
Yes indeed, I've seen this story ! So how did that double suicide go with one gun?? Hmm
Old Mar 27th 2014, 8:26 am
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
Hmmm....
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Nasty, vicious, racism in the UK may be rare (though it is disappointing what a confrontation, a crowd, or a couple of beers can release) but the attitude of, “you are not one of us and don’t you ever ****ing forget it,” was pervasive. That attitude seems entirely absent from the bit of Canada we live in.
It is most certainly not absent in the bits of Canada I know.

It was screamingly present when I lived in Oakville, even among the expat Brits.

It is quite present in Gatineau, although seemingly directed at people of colour. I appear to be OK because I'm a white European.

My stepson, himself a Quebecois, has just baled out of living in the Saguenay. The people up there don't like anyone from anywhere else, even other bits of Quebec.

Quite a few people believe that anyone of colour with cloth wrapped around their head is a paid-up member of the Taliban. It must suck to be a Sikh.

Fortunately, not everyone is like that. Pauline Marois has cocked-up badly in calling an election. She was banking on people buying in to her (racist) charter and desire for a separation referendum. The latest opinion polls suggest that she is handing the election to the provincial Liberals on a plate.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:55 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The latest opinion polls suggest that she is handing the election to the provincial Liberals on a plate.
Seems the people of Quebec know which side the bread is buttered on eh?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Seems the people of Quebec know which side the bread is buttered on eh?
More likely is that folk have realised that the woman is barking mad. I don't think that even the Scottish Nationalists want anything to do with her.

My missus is a straight down the line Quebecoise and hugely proud of her heritage and culture. She is also a proud Canadian. It has been made abundantly clear to me who she intends to vote for and who I am expected to vote for. Hint: it's not the PQ.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Black on the west coast is hard. I've heard a few racism stories here. One nurse from Brixton went back after a year .
In Van yes, but rurally? I wouldn't know as I don't go rural
Lol !

We had an old guy over from Namaimo lady week buying hubby's Vespa. He was "horrified at the number of Asians" at the bank and asked hubby quite loudly how he dealt with it ?!
Really? I used to live in Nanaimo and none of the people from there ever gave me trouble because of my race. Well, there were quite a few non-Canadians (new immigrants who brought over their home country's intolerance) who did, but they don't really count since they're not exactly 'from Canada' and their attitudes don't really reflect that of the west coast at large.

But seriously, the idea of an anti-black Nanaimo sounds kind of preposterous (to me anyway). Are you sure those people were from Nanaimo? If they were, then I can assure you that people like them make up less than 1% of Nanaimo's population. Either that or the people in that city did a really good job hiding their racism from me. It seems really odd for racist people to go far out of their way to be extra-friendly to someone. The only problem I ever had with my skin color was the lack of discretion or anonymity.

Also, Nanaimo is far from rural. A population of 80,000 is a lot and there are way too many shopping and strip malls and other amenities in that city for it to be considered 'rural'.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:21 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Really? I used to live in Nanaimo and none of the people from there ever gave me trouble because of my race. Well, there were quite a few non-Canadians (new immigrants who brought over their home country's intolerance) who did, but they don't really count since they're not exactly 'from Canada' and their attitudes don't really reflect that of the west coast at large.

But seriously, the idea of an anti-black Nanaimo sounds kind of preposterous (to me anyway). Are you sure those people were from Nanaimo? If they were, then I can assure you that people like them make up less than 1% of Nanaimo's population. Either that or the people in that city did a really good job hiding their racism from me. It seems really odd for racist people to go far out of their way to be extra-friendly to someone. The only problem I ever had with my skin color was the lack of discretion or anonymity.

Also, Nanaimo is far from rural. A population of 80,000 is a lot and there are way too many shopping and strip malls and other amenities in that city for it to be considered 'rural'.

I wasn't considering Nanaimo rural. It was a separate anecdote relating to racism towards "Asian" people.

Tbh in Van the racism I have seen towards black people has come from the Asian community. As you said "bringing their country's intolerances".
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't considering Nanaimo rural. It was a separate anecdote relating to racism towards "Asian" people.

Tbh in Van the racism I have seen towards black people has come from the Asian community. As you said "bringing their country's intolerances".
Well, after re-thinking your post, I agree that it's plausible for the older generation in Nanaimo (and probably the rest of BC) to have some lingering dislike for Asians. I just remembered my former landlord (who's one of the older baby boomers) telling me that racism existed in Nanaimo and western BC during the 1950s and the Chinese shop used to shamelessly be called the chink shop by virtually everyone in town. So yeah, I guess that some of BC's older generation must still be anti-Asian.

As for the whole Asian on black racism, I totally agree that it's too common. But I've met lots of really friendly, unambiguously non-racist, Asian people. Those of them who also happened to own restaurants were the ones profiting big time whenever I craved Asian food (as I felt 100% comfortable being their customer). But overall, when you're living in a predominantly white city like Nanaimo, it's really easy to shrug off any Asian racism you get since Asians are the minority and don't really wield that much power to make your life uncomfortable.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

A friend in Eastbourn told us of a particular midlands town to avoid - because there were too many brown people there.

Now he's not Canadian so I'm not saying he's racist. But I suspect racism isn't only a Canadian thing.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
But I suspect racism isn't only a Canadian thing.
Certainly not. The same diversity of racisms found in Canada also exist in other multicultures and in the countries from which they were originally imported. Even the open racism against the native population isn't unique to Canada but common in the Dominions. The advantage of being in Canada, at in least Toronto, compared to Eastbourne is that there are more racisms in Toronto than in Eastbourne and so one, regardless of one's origins, one has more opportunity to both persecute and be persecuted.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:58 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
More likely is that folk have realised that the woman is barking mad. I don't think that even the Scottish Nationalists want anything to do with her.

My missus is a straight down the line Quebecoise and hugely proud of her heritage and culture. She is also a proud Canadian. It has been made abundantly clear to me who she intends to vote for and who I am expected to vote for. Hint: it's not the PQ.
Pretty sure I remember Marois and Salmond sharing a stage recently.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Pretty sure I remember Marois and Salmond sharing a stage recently.
They had a rather bizarre meeting in Edinburgh at the beginning of the last year, but by all reports Salmond was polite and lukewarm at best towards Marois. Salmond has been keen to distance himself from the PQ (as have Scot Nats since the 1970s, really.) He knows that considerable support for the Scottish independence cause comes from expat Scots, amongst whom many are in Anglophone Canada, and amongst whom support for the PQ would be seen as counterproductive for Salmond.

Is this the occasion you were thinking of? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-quebec-canada