British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Rugby League World Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/rugby-league-world-cup-905135/)

BristolUK Oct 26th 2017 9:46 pm

Rugby League World Cup

Kicks off Friday.
BBC2 seems the best way of watching.

Australia v England 6.00 am Atlantic time. I'm normally up around 6.30 on a weekday getting SD up for work.

It's been a while since I saw any RL so it seems a good time (not literally) to watch.

Mr Bean Oct 27th 2017 12:24 am

Re: Rugby League World Cup

I've been watching Toronto Wolfpack play this season.

Always loved league, and to go to live games now is fantastic.

BristolUK Oct 27th 2017 7:30 pm

I was up in good time. Not a bad performance considering I was expecting a sound thrashing.

I can remember GB v Australia series many years ago and I used to joke about Aussie "cheating" because they played the game more like Union, passing the ball instead of just taking the tackles like our lot. Eventually we'd run out of tackles not having made anything like the ground that they made.

So it was pleasing to see that when our lads attacked they were chucking the ball around too. The big difference to my untrained mind was that Australia took the ball further in the first two tackles than we did in three. Consequently we were always starting from our own line while they started well away from theirs.

scrubbedexpat133 Oct 29th 2017 2:56 pm

RL has come a long way in the last 20 years. It the norm now to see the better teams chucking it around. I think that England took the right tact against them but the quality of the Aussie team got them through.

I am disappointed that Sportsnet World did not cover the game. You would think that with the success of Toronto on and off the Pitch that they would be looking to show this and promote the game. It is the showpiece of the code.

scrubbedexpat133 Oct 29th 2017 3:01 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/locke.../#post12370532

scrubbedexpat133 Oct 29th 2017 3:02 pm

Why rugby league is obviously better than rugby union - Telegraph

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love both codes :thumbsup:

BristolUK Oct 29th 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 12370534)
I love both codes :thumbsup:

Interesting you made a comment about forward passes. I couldn't believe how many there were in the England-Australia game. It was like it wasn't a rule anymore.

I'd rather watch Union at International level and League at club level.

BristolUK Nov 5th 2017 9:56 pm

All very predictable so far, although I didn't realise Wales were so poor as to lose 50-6 to Papua New Guinea who only beat Ireland 14-6.

Scotland lost 50-4 and 74-6 to Tonga and New Zealand (remember this is League, not Union) before having players sent home.

Scotland rugby league players ‘too drunk to board flight’ are sent home

scrubbedexpat133 Nov 6th 2017 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12370540)
Interesting you made a comment about forward passes. I couldn't believe how many there were in the England-Australia game. It was like it wasn't a rule anymore.

I'd rather watch Union at International level and League at club level.

It seems that now it the pass is flat that they let it go with a view to letting the game flow.

scrubbedexpat133 Nov 6th 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12375500)
All very predictable so far, although I didn't realise Wales were so poor as to lose 50-6 to Papua New Guinea who only beat Ireland 14-6.

Scotland lost 50-4 and 74-6 to Tonga and New Zealand (remember this is League, not Union) before having players sent home.

Scotland rugby league players ‘too drunk to board flight’ are sent home

Its understandable for the Welsh as they are minnows in league. Perhaps in 10 years there will be some progression.The West Wales Raiders project looks to have some promise as they have committed to making Llanelli a permanent base. The previous incarnations had floated around South Wales and failed to gain a foothold.

Its disappointing for Scotland though as they had showed promise at the last 4 nations. I think that the expectations were probably over estimating the level that they are at. They have a few Super League and NRL players but they are predominantly made up of Championship level.

The behaviour of the 3 in question is unacceptable and they should be banned and fined. :thumbdown:

BristolUK Nov 6th 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 12375892)
It seems that now it the pass is flat that they let it go with a view to letting the game flow.

That must be a liberal interpretation of flat.

In Union they have the "momentum" rule whereby if you're running full pelt and you release the ball sideways, it will travel forward legitimately. Not that this explains how a ball carrier and a team mate can be running stride for stride, with the guy receiving two strides behind but having to take five strides forward to catch the pass!!

But in League they don't generally have that level of momentum, usually being happy to take the tackle, stop and offload rather than doing it on the run. So, for the most part there isn't the same sweeping passing movement along the line.

That's the way it looks to me, although I see little League at club level. Maybe that's more adventurous?

BristolUK Nov 26th 2017 12:38 am

All set up for the predictable final then. Australia v England.

Yesterday I had things all arranged for an early night and then up Saturday morning for 5.00 am kick off.

Then I discovered that was UK time, meaning 1.00 am here. :ohmy: Different time in New Zealand where the game took place.

As it happens I had a semi early night and a bad dream woke me, so I decided to get up and watch anyway. I went to bed with a few minutes left and missed an exciting finish but which I was probably better off not seeing. :eek:

At least the final isn't so ridiculously early. 5.00 am my time I think.