Rodeo's

Old May 18th 2007, 5:45 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rodeo's

http://www.sharkonline.org/?P=0000000349

For anyone visiting a Rodeo please be aware of what may be going on.

http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=69

I dont think there can ever be any excuse for animal cruelty. Tradition,history or even art is no good reason and the animals do not enjoy it.
These website's are not for young children, but please take a look and if attending a Rodeo keep your eyes and ears open and make your own minds up.

Mrs minihaha
Old May 18th 2007, 5:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rodeo's

Originally Posted by minihaha

I dont think there can ever be any excuse for animal cruelty. Tradition,history or even art is no good reason and the animals do not enjoy it.
These website's are not for young children, but please take a look and if attending a Rodeo keep your eyes and ears open and make your own minds up.

Mrs minihaha

I love the rodeo. From the little kids on the sheep to the barrel racers the rodeo excites and entertains me. Do you go often?
Old May 18th 2007, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs minihaha
i wont be opening your links coz i've witnessed enough.....i went to the houston rodeo a few years ago and never again
Old May 18th 2007, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I love the rodeo. From the little kids on the sheep to the barrel racers the rodeo excites and entertains me. Do you go often?
No I dont,we find our family entertainment elsewhere. I just wanted to make anyone aware who has not visited one before the facts to what may or may not be going on behind the scenes.
Old May 18th 2007, 6:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No I dont,we find our family entertainment elsewhere. I just wanted to make anyone aware who has not visited one before the facts to what may or may not be going on behind the scenes.
But doesn't citing a peta reference on a site frequented by Brits invite derision? British people tend to own/enslave dogs and some of us delightedly eat all manner of animal flesh.
Old May 18th 2007, 6:31 pm

But doesn't citing a peta reference on a site frequented by Brits invite derision? British people tend to own/enslave dogs and some of us delightedly eat all manner of animal flesh.
Why would it invite derision? My stance on Rodeos is obvious, I am in no way preaching and the Peta site is just further information on Rodeos alone.

I am saying make your own mind up and be aware before you attend one.
If anyone is interested in learning more than I have provided the links for that purpose. If you are not interested then just dont read.
We share tons of information on this site for all manner of stuff relating to Canada. This is just some more stuff for anyone interested.
Old May 18th 2007, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Why would it invite derision?

It is the website for an organization opposed to, amongst other things, pet ownership. British people often own pets and so peta stands out as a group of fanatics, using them as a reference is akin to using a BNP site in a political debate; the position advanced is so extreme as to be laughable rather than informative. In the specific case of the Canadian section of the board, the audience is comprised of people who have chosen to move from a country famous for animal imprisonment to a one renowned for animal cruelty, hardly fertile ground for animal rights campaigns.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I have ploughed through the links and, surprisingly, find very little there that is unsuitable for children. The anti-horse slaughter people do a much better job of collating grisly material and if you want real horror search on Tennessee Walking Horses. What is in the links is primarily political statements delivered in the plodding mode of the NDP and the Council of Canadians. For example:

"But even if those who run rodeos could do so without any obvious cruelty — and many organizers, of course, claim that the rodeo avoids techniques that would harm its animals — the idea would be no more worthy of commemoration. The overall image is that of a humanity that conquers rather than reveres other conscious life."

Yes, we have conquered nature and, yes, that fact is worthy of celebration.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:11 pm

I have ploughed through the links and, surprisingly, find very little there that is unsuitable for children. The anti-horse slaughter people do a much better job of collating grisly material and if you want real horror search on Tennessee Walking Horses. What is in the links is primarily political statements delivered in the plodding mode of the NDP and the Council of Canadians. For example:

"But even if those who run rodeos could do so without any obvious cruelty — and many organizers, of course, claim that the rodeo avoids techniques that would harm its animals — the idea would be no more worthy of commemoration. The overall image is that of a humanity that conquers rather than reveres other conscious life."

Yes, we have conquered nature and, yes, that fact is worthy of celebration.

Thanks for looking dbd33 I get your point loud and clear.

Mrs minihaha
Old May 18th 2007, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hey, they even think the fun bit at the beginning of the rodeo is an atrocity.

"Call it equal opportunity in the rodeo world. The rodeo Mafia is willing to injure and sometimes kill animals, but they are just as willing to put children at risk.

A prime example is the annual rodeo in Wauconda, Illinois. The Wauconda rodeo has all the animal cruelty of any other rodeo. But the Wauconda Chamber of Commerce, which produces the rodeo, wanted to give its insensitive and often drunk rodeo attendees more "entertainment." So the Chamber includes an event that abuses not only animals, but also children!

The victims, some of whom are practically babies, are put on sheep. The sheep do not intend to hurt the youngsters. The scared animals are simply trying to rid themselves of whatever has been put on their backs. As a result, and as the newspaper columns and video clips on this site prove, many kids are hurt.

It is impossible to know the true extent of the children’s injuries. First, and incredibly, the parents sign a waiver releasing the Chamber and rodeo from responsibility for injuring the children! Also, if these parents were to file a complaint against the rodeo for reckless endangerment, the parents could be liable for charges as well, as they willingly allowed their children to be put at risk.

So the children suffer, the parents keep their mouths shut, and the Wauconda Chamber of Commerce continues to entertain people who are so calloused, they are willing to laugh at the suffering of not only animals, but also youngsters!"
Old May 18th 2007, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks for looking dbd33 I get your point loud and clear.

Mrs minihaha
Not at all. Animal issues interest me. How come you use an image of a cat as an avatar, don't you think that's exploitative, or would be seen by peta as being exploitative? You're not the cat and you don't have the cat's consent to the use of its image.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:20 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

This whole thread's making me very hungry for some kind of animal product.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:27 pm

Not at all. Animal issues interest me. How come you use an image of a cat as an avatar, don't you think that's exploitative, or would be seen by peta as being exploitative? You're not the cat and you don't have the cat's consent to the use of its image.
No im not the cat and I dont have his permission to use his pic.
Il tell him to sue me
Old May 18th 2007, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

the Wauconda Chamber of Commerce continues to entertain people who are so calloused
Smooth skinned people don't laugh at mutton bustin'
Old May 18th 2007, 11:08 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs minihaha
I agree with you about rodeos, minihaha. I won't darken the gates of Stampede Park.

In my experience, however, telling people that it's naughty to do X (attend rodeos, take drugs, go to war, whatever) tends to engage their resistance and, if anything, incites them to do it even more.

For some time I've been exploring ways of getting people to think about what they do. I think one way that often is successful is humour. For example, I loved the movie, Little Miss Sunshine. I thought it did a brilliant job of taking the p1$$ out of children's beauty pageants. I also liked the Far Side cartoons by Gary Larson, which invariably made a statement from the point of view of some animal or other. Larson loves science and animals and, at one time, worked for the Humane Society. Apparently that had a big influence on his cartoons.

But basically I think the best thing one can do is try to raise one's own consciousness. It seems to have a beneficial effect on other people.