British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Rip Off Canada! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/rip-off-canada-607716/)

ExKiwilass May 7th 2009 8:56 am

Re: Rip Off Canada!

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7550857)

AmazonUS will charge $10 for a book produced in the US at US costs to someone in the USA. They'll sell the same book to me for the same $10 providing I pay the extra bit for the shipping costs.

The test strips produced in the US at US costs, they will sell to someone in the US for $50. They won't let me buy them at all.

Another company will sell the same strips in the US for the same $50 plus the postal rate for the US.
They will sell the same strips to me but they'll charge $100 for them plus the additional cost to send them to me.

That's not about production costs or delivery costs or import duties. something.

Edited to add....sorry....in my example I'm not talking about cost variations.

Yeah. I think the bottom line is there are 300 million possible customers in the US vs 30 odd in Canada, and some companies just can't be bothered dealing with the extra paperwork. etc. to ship to Canada. Or maybe they imagine it's really hard or something. I dunno.

I know the woman who runs my store has had problems dealing with US companies, even small ones, esp on the east coast for some reason - getting them to do the right paperwork (NAFTA) to ship something....it's like they don't want to be bothered or don't get it or something. I guess they don't have to be because they have so many homegrown customers.

ExKiwilass May 7th 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bodgerx (Post 7550881)
To send something out of the US, all you have to do is fill out a customs declaraction which all the major postal companies supply - takes seconds, state the declared value, what the item is, job done, not hard.

Not if you're trying to import something under NAFTA, I don't think. But whatever. That's the reality of what we've found, and even if it is easy, some US companies just aren't interested in doing it.

iaink May 7th 2009 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bodgerx (Post 7550881)
To send something out of the US, all you have to do is fill out a customs declaraction which all the major postal companies supply - takes seconds, state the declared value, what the item is, job done, not hard.

As a private individual thats true. As a business there is a world of paperwork involved, Our company was fined $500000 (HALF A MILLION) a few years ago for using the wrong codes in error. This is serious shit, our people are regularly retrained to prevent any reoccurance.

ExKiwilass May 7th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7550932)
As a private individual thats true. As a business there is a world of paperwork involved, Our company was fined $500000 (HALF A MILLION) a few years ago for using the wrong codes in error. This is serious shit, our people are regularly retrained to prevent any reoccurance.

Wow.

iaink May 7th 2009 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7550944)
Wow.

Wow indeed...not the exact word used at the time, trust me!

BristolUK May 7th 2009 9:55 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7550878)
Because it costs them hundred of thousands to complete the canada specific medical licensing requirements and testing;)

But hasn't that already been done and already paid for?

The company that sells the test strips. Let's say they have 100 boxes to sell.
Ignoring shipping costs that the mail order customer pays for, are you saying they incur some other additional expense in sending some of those boxes to Canada whereas they wouldn't incur them if they were all sent to US addresses?

Another funny situation is ordering from Amazon's Marketplace sellers when the seller is in the US. If you order via Amazon.ca you pay for the item and then the 'domestic' postage rate.

Order the same item from the same seller via the Amazon.com site and you pay the same cost but an international postage rate. You pay double when the same person is packing it, taking it to the PO and paying the same postage rate whether ordered via ca or com.:blink:

iaink May 7th 2009 10:04 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7551072)
But hasn't that already been done and already paid for?

The company that sells the test strips. Let's say they have 100 boxes to sell.
Ignoring shipping costs that the mail order customer pays for, are you saying they incur some other additional expense in sending some of those boxes to Canada whereas they wouldn't incur them if they were all sent to US addresses?

Another funny situation is ordering from Amazon's Marketplace sellers when the seller is in the US. If you order via Amazon.ca you pay for the item and then the 'domestic' postage rate.

Order the same item from the same seller via the Amazon.com site and you pay the same cost but an international postage rate. You pay double when the same person is packing it, taking it to the PO and paying the same postage rate whether ordered via ca or com.:blink:

Hypothetically, as I have no idea of the legal position, lets say that they cant sell them in canada without meeting additional canadian testing requirements and federally mandated english and french language packaging... A not uncommon situation.

They can either

A: pass that cost on to the US customers too, making their position with 300Million US consumers less attractive by raising costs across the board.

or

B: Pass that cost onto the Canadian consumers alone, given that there are only 30M of them and there competitor is not interested in serving a market that small anyway so where else are they going to go.

Which would you do...

As for amazon, i dont know if they have two shipping warehouses, one north, one south of the border or not. I do know other mail order businesses that do that in order to bulk ship items over the border and ship from Canada at a lower rate, also avoiding delays for clearance on individual customers shipments at the border in the process.

bodgerx May 7th 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7550888)
Not if you're trying to import something under NAFTA, I don't think. But whatever. That's the reality of what we've found, and even if it is easy, some US companies just aren't interested in doing it.

Isn't NAFTA supposed to make it easier?!

Yep, fair comment Iaink about the private individuals.

ExKiwilass May 7th 2009 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bodgerx (Post 7551124)

YES.

However, some people just don't want to know, because they don't have to fill out NAFTA paperwork for US customers do they? It's frustrating but if they don't want to do it, they don't want to do it. Also they don't understand that's it's easy, they've never had to do it before, where the hell is Vancouver anyway, etc. etc.

It's hard for me to understand too, believe me. NZ survives by exporting. It's just a whole new mentality.

iaink May 7th 2009 10:14 am

Originally Posted by bodgerx (Post 7551124)

Yep, fair comment Iaink about the private individuals.

LOL, you would think, but in effect it removes the taxation burden but adds a thick layer of bureaucracy:(

BristolUK May 7th 2009 10:29 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7551112)
Which would you do?

I'd do the sensible one:rofl: But given (in this example) the strips are produced by the same medical company to the same standards (north or south) anyway, there should be no additional testing procedures. I'm not sure that the supplier sticking a French label on the box justifies charging $100 instead of $50.:eek:

Novocastrian May 7th 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7551193)
I'd do the sensible one:rofl: But given (in this example) the strips are produced by the same medical company to the same standards (north or south) anyway, there should be no additional testing procedures. I'm not sure that the supplier sticking a French label on the box justifies charging $100 instead of $50.:eek:

I haven't paid much attention to this thread, I suppose I find it less interesting than blockheaters, but isn't this an example of "Rip off America"?

JonboyE May 7th 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7551141)
YES.

However, some people just don't want to know, because they don't have to fill out NAFTA paperwork for US customers do they? It's frustrating but if they don't want to do it, they don't want to do it. Also they don't understand that's it's easy, they've never had to do it before, where the hell is Vancouver anyway, etc. etc.

Pretty much my experience too. One small supplier (somewhere in the mid-west) asked how he could ship things to Canada. "UPS or FedEx," I said. "What, they deliver in Canada as well?," was his astonished reply.

Trying to get US companies to complete NAFTA certificates can be very trying.

JonboyE May 7th 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7551193)

I am pretty sure this is some kind of territorial licensing issue (commercial licensing, not government).

BristolUK May 7th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7551243)
I haven't paid much attention to this thread, I suppose I find it less interesting than blockheaters, but isn't this an example of "Rip off America"?

Good point. :o

Although it is those north of the border being ripped off.