Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:37 pm
  #16  
Lowering the tone
 
Jingsamichty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 6,917
Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

I like reading the Daily Mail because it makes me feel like an anarchist.

Despite all my self-imposed middle-aged, middle-class shackles, a quick flick through the DM reminds me that I really still am the sort of person who dreams of setting fire to a police station or a Tory MP.
Jingsamichty is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:39 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Epsom, er no, Toronto...
Posts: 135
jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

the daily mail deleted the original piece from their website but it's still out there -

http://web.archive.org/web/201212211...wrong-job.html


personally I detest the mail. hypocritical wankers.

banging on about tax evaders when the owner is registered as a french citizen so he doesn't have to pay taxes.

going on about child porn / pornograhy etc and then having all the pics of young girls with hardly any clothes on in the sidebar.

their personal witch hunts of stars who speak out against them.

Paul Dacre is a despicable man. Just because a country has a free press, doesn't mean they are free to say anything they want about anybody, irrespective of whether the facts are true or not.

no wonder they are so against the latest Press law change - it will actually make them accountable for some of the drivel they publish.
jaminsk1 is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:11 pm
  #18  
Peace Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 23,532
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
the daily mail deleted the original piece from their website but it's still out there -

http://web.archive.org/web/201212211...wrong-job.html


personally I detest the mail. hypocritical wankers.

banging on about tax evaders when the owner is registered as a french citizen so he doesn't have to pay taxes.

going on about child porn / pornograhy etc and then having all the pics of young girls with hardly any clothes on in the sidebar.

their personal witch hunts of stars who speak out against them.

Paul Dacre is a despicable man. Just because a country has a free press, doesn't mean they are free to say anything they want about anybody, irrespective of whether the facts are true or not.

no wonder they are so against the latest Press law change - it will actually make them accountable for some of the drivel they publish.
Thanks for linking the original article. Dislike of the DM notwithstanding, this was not an outrageous article by Richard Littlejohn, and many would agree that primary school age children do not need to confront the confusion of transgender at a young age.

I certainly enjoyed the school newsletter announcement:

Mr Upton has made a significant change in his life and will be transitioning to live as a woman after the Christmas break. She will return to work as Miss Meadows.


A few decades ago you could almost see a line like that coming out in a Monty Python sketch!!! Poor old Miss Meadows, poor kids. Such a quirky world we live in these days.

Last edited by Shard; Mar 25th 2013 at 4:15 pm.
Shard is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:11 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Epsom, er no, Toronto...
Posts: 135
jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Thanks for linking the original article. Dislike of the DM notwithstanding, this was not an outrageous article by Richard Littlejohn, and many would agree that primary school age children do not need to confront the confusion of transgender at a young age.

I certainly enjoyed the school newsletter announcement:

Mr Upton has made a significant change in his life and will be transitioning to live as a woman after the Christmas break. She will return to work as Miss Meadows.


A few decades ago you could almost see a line like that coming out in a Monty Python sketch!!! Poor old Miss Meadows, poor kids. Such a quirky world we live in these days.
When i think of my own kids - I actually think that in some way's it's better to learn at a young age. Same to be said for sexuality, disability and race.

All human being's are different and unique in their own different ways and unless they are doing something that effects our lives in a negative way then we shouldn't really judge anyone for it. Leave them be and certainly don't completely assassinate their character and life choice in the international press.

The earlier that kids are exposed to these things, they will not look at them as being 'different' later on in life, which inevitably leads to where so much hate and discrimination comes from.

It might also make them realise that most of what is written in the daily mail is a load of old crap as well which is great IMO.
jaminsk1 is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:20 pm
  #20  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,948
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
The earlier that kids are exposed to these things, they will not look at them as being 'different' later on in life, which inevitably leads to where so much hate and discrimination comes from.
Trouble is, that most kids just aren't exposed to anything other than the stereotypical 'perfect family'. I remember last year being astonished when my 8 year old daughter was puzzled at how a classmates parents could be getting married, as they obviously already had children. 'Ah, I know Mummy', she announced, 'they must have adopted Harriet'. Erm...........

That was a bit of a shocker, to realise that my daughter didn't know people could be unmarried and have children! But most people we know with kids are married, so it just hadn't occurred to her (or to me to mention it to her either). Something like a teacher changing gender would have caused her head to spin around on her shoulders whilst projecting green vomit I think.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:28 pm
  #21  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
When i think of my own kids - I actually think that in some way's it's better to learn at a young age. Same to be said for sexuality, disability and race.
I think we can celebrate having an actively free press without endorsing the views expressed. The British press is better than the Canadian press because it includes the Daily Mail and because there's a forum for Mr. Littlejohn to suggest that a person so confused that he wants his balls chopped off might not be a ideal mentor for young children.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:30 pm
  #22  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I think we can celebrate having an actively free press without endorsing the views expressed. The British press is better than the Canadian press because it includes the Daily Mail and because there's a forum for Mr. Littlejohn to suggest that a person so confused that he wants his balls chopped off might not be a ideal mentor for young children.
Check your cis privilege.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:49 pm
  #23  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,879
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
Check your cis privilege.
The concept of cisprivlege is an attempt to hijack womens' legitimate claim that they've been the subject of inappropriate discrimination for generations by a tiny group not subject to systemic discrimination. Ballless bandwagon jumpers.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:02 pm
  #24  
Part Time Poster
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 4,219
MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
Just because a country has a free press, doesn't mean they are free to say anything they want about anybody, irrespective of whether the facts are true or not.

.
Kind’a figured that what a free press meant,
and why we have lawyer at the ready for slander and libel cases...

You can say what you want, but be prepared for the consequences
MikeUK is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:03 pm
  #25  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
The concept of cisprivlege is an attempt to hijack womens' legitimate claim that they've been the subject of inappropriate discrimination for generations by a tiny group not subject to systemic discrimination. Ballless bandwagon jumpers.
Is Ballless the only word in the English language with three consecutive LLL's?

<or should it be hyphenated, like the subject of the article?>
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:06 pm
  #26  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Thanks for linking the original article. Dislike of the DM notwithstanding, this was not an outrageous article by Richard Littlejohn, and many* would agree that primary school age children do not need to confront the confusion of transgender at a young age.
*many Daily Mail readers.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:06 pm
  #27  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Without having read the Littlejohn article it is difficult to comment and impossible to vote. However if his point is that some children have difficulty with understanding gender transitions, it's certainly a valid one. Many adults have difficulty understanding transgender. Indeed, many transgender have difficulty understanding gender, hence their identity issues. It seems to me the witchhunt or mob mentality is in the petition which seeks to vilify a journalist. His views are often odious, but as DBD points out, he is entitled to make them.
I disagree. Lots of puzzling things happen in a child's world. It would purely be the parents who were outraged.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:28 pm
  #28  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
The concept of cisprivlege is an attempt to hijack womens' legitimate claim that they've been the subject of inappropriate discrimination for generations by a tiny group not subject to systemic discrimination. Ballless bandwagon jumpers.
That's easy for you to say. Those people don't know which toilet to use half the time which must be a kind of living hell for them.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:32 am
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 797
London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
The Canadian press doesn't employ journalists who have the level of literacy in English required to write a piece of this nature. It may be that you disagree with Mr Littlejohn's thrust, it may be that you favour school teachers having their bits rearranged, but you should still celebrate the diversity and coherence of British newspapers and that there is space within them for people able to deliver an emotion inspiring column.
There is a difference between "Free Speech" Sad that arsehole Littlejohn and the rest of the Daily Mail bigots can not celebrate diversity. This article was written for one reason only. Littlejohn and anyone that endorses such a piece should be fully ashamed and yes he does have a death on his hands !
London-England-Lads is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:36 am
  #30  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 797
London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Without having read the Littlejohn article it is difficult to comment and impossible to vote. However if his point is that some children have difficulty with understanding gender transitions, it's certainly a valid one. Many adults have difficulty understanding transgender. Indeed, many transgender have difficulty understanding gender, hence their identity issues. It seems to me the witchhunt or mob mentality is in the petition which seeks to vilify a journalist. His views are often odious, but as DBD points out, he is entitled to make them.

The children were unaware that their teacher was transgender, in fact the teacher was well liked and inspirational to many of the children. The fact is that Littlejohn went out on a witch-hunt, not as a journalist but as transgender phobe - vile vile vile !
London-England-Lads is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.