British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Rhubarb (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/rhubarb-810042/)

Piff Poff Sep 22nd 2013 11:35 pm

Rhubarb

Does anyone have any recipes for rhubarb that isn't crumble? Just remembered to harvest the last lot for this year, got enough for about 20 crumbles but would like to try something else.

The4BellsLondon Sep 22nd 2013 11:47 pm

Re: Rhubarb

Rhubarb jam and compote :)

Aviator Sep 23rd 2013 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10913028)
Does anyone have any recipes for rhubarb that isn't crumble? Just remembered to harvest the last lot for this year, got enough for about 20 crumbles but would like to try something else.

Rhubarb wine?

dbd33 Sep 23rd 2013 1:03 am

I can't say I know what to do with it but I have a rhubarb story. There was a sign on a house a mile or so up the road offering rhubarb, (10lb/$5 iirc) so we stopped. The fellow there led me down the garden path (arf) and while chopping he spoke in what was unmistakably a London accent a bit bent by being abroad. It turns out that we went to the same school. Well, knock me dahn, etc.

Alas, they was religionists so we fled.

Good rhubarb though, some went into a rhubarb and apple pie, some went into a rhubarb pie, most of it is frozen. I'll ask she who bakes what's intended for it.

Ben W Bell Sep 23rd 2013 1:08 am

Stew it and can it. Then use it over ice cream, in custard, in tarts or even in cocktails.

Siouxie Sep 23rd 2013 1:14 am

Here you go - a myriad of recipes to choose from, and within each sub heading there are dozens.

:)

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipes

dbd33 Sep 23rd 2013 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell (Post 10913089)
Stew it and can it. Then use it over ice cream, in custard, in tarts or even in cocktails.

Oh yes, we did stew some and tip ice cream on it, that was great.

Greenhill Sep 23rd 2013 1:19 am

Are you certain it ain't burdock? :sneaky:

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10913099)
Oh yes, we did stew some and tip ice cream on it, that was great.

dbd33 Sep 23rd 2013 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10913102)
Are you certain it ain't burdock? :sneaky:

Sold as rhubarb, by a man wot rhymed his slang, what more dya want?

Novocastrian Sep 23rd 2013 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10913028)

It makes a great enema for constipated dogs. You just shove it where the sun don't shine, then if you still fancy it, go for the crumble.

dbd33 Sep 23rd 2013 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10913106)
It makes a great enema for constipated dogs. You just shove it where the sun don't shine, then if you still fancy it, go for the crumble.

If I may, I'd like to suggest that the efficacy of shoving a stick of rhubarb up a dog's bum is unrelated to it being rhubarb. I am however, unwilling to experiment, if you insist that other stiff shafted vegetables, such as celery, won't work, so be it.

Novocastrian Sep 23rd 2013 1:32 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10913110)
If I may, I'd like to suggest that the efficacy of shoving a stick of rhubarb up a dog's bum is unrelated to it being rhubarb. I am however, unwilling to experiment, if you insist that other stiff shafted vegetables, such as celery, won't work, so be it.

It's the acidic nature of the rhubarb that does the trick. Please explain to Charly that it's for his own good.

R I C H Sep 23rd 2013 1:34 am

Rhubarb vodka:

Ingredients

1 litre vodka
2 sticks rhubarb
½ lemon (zest of)
cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons sugar

Method

Crush the rhubarb (I use a mortar and pestle) and place in a kilner jar with the sugar.
Leave to ferment for at least two days.
Add cloves cinnamon and zest and cover with the vodka.
Leave in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks, shaking daily.
Filter through muslin, re-bottle and you're ready. However, it's at is best after at least three months.

Novocastrian Sep 23rd 2013 1:38 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 10913116)
Rhubarb vodka:

Ingredients

1 litre vodka
2 sticks rhubarb
½ lemon (zest of)
cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons sugar

Method

Crush the rhubarb (I use a mortar and pestle) and place in a kilner jar with the sugar.
Leave to ferment for at least two days.
Add cloves cinnamon and zest and cover with the vodka.
Leave in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks, shaking daily.
Filter through muslin, re-bottle and you're ready. However, it's at is best after at least three months.

I think it might be preferable (and certainly easier) to just stop at the 1 litre of vodka stage.

Especially if you have a dog.

Piff Poff Sep 23rd 2013 2:50 am

Thank you all for your replies, Souxie, I had found that website but thought I'd ask for real life recommendations lol. Novo, I think I will give your suggestion a miss, I hope your not too offended, Rich, I do like your idea:thumbsup: im going to try a relish and a chutney and do a couple of crumbles and stew some for custard:thumbsup::thumbsup: