British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Reverse Bucket List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/reverse-bucket-list-723329/)

BristolUK Jul 2nd 2011 1:58 pm

Reverse Bucket List

From Simon Hoggart's Guardian column:

I was touched by the story about the woman who, on turning 60, decided to do 60 things she had never done before. Some were simple, such as tackling a sudoku, others more tricky, like getting on to Eggheads. But it struck me that what would be really helpful would be a guide to 60 things not to do before you die. I can think of plenty.

Go to Glastonbury. Why? Middle-class people wading through mud, looking at Bono, of all people, performing 200 yards away. And stinking loos. No thanks. Or a Star Trek convention. Please!

Buy a ticket for any film with a II, III or IV in the title, with the exceptions of Godfather II, or The Madness of George IV.

Queue overnight to get into Wimbledon and see half of the court where two unknowns are competing to be knocked out in the following round. Join the Last Night funsters standing near the front at the Proms. Toe-curlingly awful.

Run the London Marathon in a wacky costume. Give the money direct to charity instead. See any play or musical based on an old film. Go to a timeshare demonstration in a hotel by a midge-infested Scottish loch. Wear jeans when you are already fat, and old.

I could go on, and probably will.
Anyone else got anything to avoid?

Joe_Sleepy Jul 2nd 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Reverse Bucket List

Reading anything on social commentary written by entitled middle class pseuds such as Simon Hoggart...

Simon Legree Jul 2nd 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy (Post 9470756)
Reading anything on social commentary written by entitled middle class pseuds such as Simon Hoggart...

I'll second that ! ;)

Jingsamichty Jul 2nd 2011 3:13 pm

Looking at newspaper adverts for "the most comfortable shoes you'll ever wear!" or "all-day comfort and multi-pocket practicality with our amazing machine-washable, elasticated waist khaki cargo pants!" and thinking... yep, that's exactly what I need.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 2nd 2011 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9470832)
Looking at newspaper adverts for "the most comfortable shoes you'll ever wear!" or "all-day comfort and multi-pocket practicality with our amazing machine-washable, elasticated waist khaki cargo pants!" and thinking... yep, that's exactly what I need.

Should we manage to meet up for that pint, there will no need to be clutching a rolled ip copy of the Eastern Daily Press, now i have that mental picture of you...

Jingsamichty Jul 2nd 2011 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9471214)
Should we manage to meet up for that pint, there will no need to be clutching a rolled ip copy of the Eastern Daily Press, now i have that mental picture of you...

Is that you in Norfolk now? How was that first beer?! :)

Atlantic Xpat Jul 3rd 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9471334)
Is that you in Norfolk now? How was that first beer?! :)

Lunchtime pint of Greene King IPA was very nice thanks...

mandymoochops Jul 3rd 2011 1:46 pm

Go a for nice pint of Nelsons revenge and tell em an old habitant of Wells Next the Sea needed it :thumbup:

oh reverse bucket list????? um sail in a crochet'd canoe saving whales would be pretty much at the top.

Tuppence Jul 4th 2011 1:19 pm

Live in the basement of your newly acquired bungalow while contractors renovate the main floor over a period of 6-8 weeks.

Seemed like a good idea at the time :eek: