Wikiposts

Revelstoke

Old May 8th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

brookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nice
Default Revelstoke

Hello

My OH and I were initially looking to move to Vancouver when our Visa's are finally sorted, but upon advice from others here on BE have been looking at other places to get a bit more for our money.....

Anyway, with this in mind we started looking all over (googlemaps!) and have come across Revelstoke which has peaked our interest.

I know they're completely different from one another but we're pretty open as to where we start our Canadian adventure.....

So, my question is this, has anybody got any info or experience of/about Revelstoke?

Thank you in advance, brookel
Old May 8th 2011, 12:36 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Revelstoke

It's a tiny place with a ski resort .... what do you intend to do there?

edit: having looked at www.mls.ca for property listings, it doesn't look that inexpensive to me anyway ... the only places affordable (to our budget anyway, and we live in Calgary) would be mobile homes!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; May 8th 2011 at 12:50 pm.
Old May 8th 2011, 2:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brookel
Hello

My OH and I were initially looking to move to Vancouver when our Visa's are finally sorted, but upon advice from others here on BE have been looking at other places to get a bit more for our money.....

Anyway, with this in mind we started looking all over (googlemaps!) and have come across Revelstoke which has peaked our interest.

I know they're completely different from one another but we're pretty open as to where we start our Canadian adventure.....

So, my question is this, has anybody got any info or experience of/about Revelstoke?

Yes, its a small town on a major road that has a big damn and a railway. There's not much to do there so the kids and adults do lots of drugs and booze. It's like many a small rural/isolated town in Canada, it's rather unpleasant. It's backward, small minded, xenophobic and there's a fair amount of domestic and personal abuse.
Old May 8th 2011, 2:51 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it has grow-ups? No self-respecting small town in BC should be without a few dozen
Old May 8th 2011, 3:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely stunning place - however it is the place where a lot of Albertan Yahoos head off to the mountain for sledding and boarding and skiing.

Nice place to have a cabin, wouldn't want to live there year round.

Take a look at a place called 3 Valley Gap - amazing place to stay.
Old May 8th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
It's a tiny place with a ski resort .... what do you intend to do there?

edit: having looked at www.mls.ca for property listings, it doesn't look that inexpensive to me anyway ... the only places affordable (to our budget anyway, and we live in Calgary) would be mobile homes!
How come? The mobile homes look to be under $100k would you buy a house in Calgary for that? The homes look about normal to me plenty for high $200k low $300k although certainly not cheap compared to some areas i guess.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:15 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
How come? The mobile homes look to be under $100k would you buy a house in Calgary for that? The homes look about normal to me plenty for high $200k low $300k although certainly not cheap compared to some areas i guess.
Some are, but when you look closely there are very few homes in that price range that don't look like shacks, or at least "fixer-uppers". Very little under 500k, and plenty over 1 million $.

Anyhow, the main point of my argument was that it's a small resort town, so unless you are planning on retiring there and spending your days hiking, skiing and generally pottering about, it might not be a very good choice as a place to call home.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Some are, but when you look closely there are very few homes in that price range that don't look like shacks, or at least "fixer-uppers". Very little under 500k, and plenty over 1 million $.

Anyhow, the main point of my argument was that it's a small resort town, so unless you are planning on retiring there and spending your days hiking, skiing and generally pottering about, it might not be a very good choice as a place to call home.
Agreed it's not a place i would want to live in but it does seem to have some affordable housing if Revelstoke floats your boat.
I hear that the sledding and the skiing is extreme if that is what you are into.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

brookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nicebrookel is just really nice

thank you everybody for your replies, yes, the snowboarding/sports was one of the reasons we were looking at it, i'll take a look at the links...
Old May 9th 2011, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

thank you everybody for your replies, yes, the snowboarding/sports was one of the reasons we were looking at it, i'll take a look at the links...
Then live in a city within reasonable commuting distance and have "weekends away" there. Hard to see how one could make a decent income living there, although I accept it would not be impossible.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

The town has very nice hanging baskets.

Edit: In the summer.

One of the few places you pass through, that makes an effort with it's appearance. Note though, that we pass through
Old May 9th 2011, 1:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
One of the few places you pass through, that makes an effort with it's appearance. Note though, that we pass through
Realistically though you don't even pass through. If you stay on the Trans-Canada Highway you pass it by.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Fantastic cycling there-Finger Lakes to the south, Rogers Pass, best egg and bacon in Canada at the gas station just east of the "Last Spike" exhibtion.

Don't think there is much in the way of job opportunities there though.

And like many a mountain resort town, with the opening of the new ski area to the south, house prices started to take off.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Realistically though you don't even pass through. If you stay on the Trans-Canada Highway you pass it by.
Yeah, but you can see all those pretty baskets by that band-standy thing as you pass by - and all the purdy flowers by that nice walled gateway near McDonalds
Old May 9th 2011, 1:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Yeah, but you can see all those pretty baskets by that band-standy thing as you pass by - and all the purdy flowers by that nice walled gateway near McDonalds
Bandstand? There's a bandstand?

I guess I'm too focused on my driving, can't say I've ever noticed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.