Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Restaurant in TO near Royal York?

Restaurant in TO near Royal York?

Old Feb 11th 2019, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restaurant in TO near Royal York?

Splashing out and going to the Leafs game on 11th March against TBL as my annual treat. Staying the night of the game and the following night as a treat at the Royal York (easy walk of the station and Scotiabank Centre). Thinking it would be cheaper to support Florida Panthers AND pay the air fare!!

Wondering about a nice restaurant for the evening of the 12th. We have been to the 360 in the CN Tower and loved it. Someone else has recommended the Harbour 60 near the station. Any suggestions or preference for the options mentioned? Needs to be easy walk of Royal York as the sciatica from my slipped disc makes walking very far an unpleasant experience (hoping it will have cleared up by then though).
Old Feb 11th 2019, 11:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurant in TO near Royal York?

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Splashing out and going to the Leafs game on 11th March against TBL as my annual treat. Staying the night of the game and the following night as a treat at the Royal York (easy walk of the station and Scotiabank Centre). Thinking it would be cheaper to support Florida Panthers AND pay the air fare!!

Wondering about a nice restaurant for the evening of the 12th. We have been to the 360 in the CN Tower and loved it. Someone else has recommended the Harbour 60 near the station. Any suggestions or preference for the options mentioned? Needs to be easy walk of Royal York as the sciatica from my slipped disc makes walking very far an unpleasant experience (hoping it will have cleared up by then though).
Depending on your companion, La Maquette is nice.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 11th 2019 at 11:43 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

If you're up for trying something a bit different, I'd recommend Rosalinda. Rosalinda Restaurant

It's a Mexican vegan restaurant. I'm no vegan but I do like Mexican cuisine and I thought this place was excellent.

It's about a ten minute walk from the Royal York.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 1:20 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

O& B
Jump
both nice places to eat
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is Bardi's Steak House at 56 York Street, which is the side street from Union Station by the side of the Royal York.

It looks excellent, but may be pricey.

Are the renos still on-going at the RY?? We often stay there when passing through Toronto, and love the hotel, but not too sure about the renos!

The renos had closed of most of the main level, with Registration being on the Lower Level when we were there before Christmas and the only places to eat in the RY were the Library Bar on the main level, the pub on the lower level, and the Benihana Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi and Saki Lounge, also on the Lower Level. The Library Bar was also the best place to have breakfast.

The Epic Lounge and Restaurant which used to be on the main level has been closed down but is apparently to be replaced with another top-level restaurant on that level.

We usually don't bother going out to eat when only there for 1 or 2 nights as the restaurants have all been great with lots of choice, we'll see what the new place is like.

The Library Bar is a lovely place to have a drink (or even a meal), but will be crowded before the game as it seems to be a popular place for Leafs fans to meet up. If you want a drink before the game, get in there before 5 pm!
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Room service and a bottle of wine from LCBO in the PATH. you pay loads for a room there so spend all your time in it.
We ordered a breakfast for one with coffee for two and there was enough breakfast for two.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Great info, thanks a lot guys! Will do some more research. Yes, deffo a bottle in the room pre-game, then probably head to Scotiabank centre for atmosphere and BEER!

I have seen the Leafs several times now, but oddly, never at the ACC / Scotiabank Centre. Recently it has been away games (Went to Montreal twice and Ottawa etc.) and a couple of times to see them at Maple Leaf Gardens as a kid in the 60's! Look forward to a real treat.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 12:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

the reno's are indeed still ongoing at the royal york
epic is still closed,
I'm about to be stuck there for 8 nights, hoping that room service is better than it was last year
Old Feb 13th 2019, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
the reno's are indeed still ongoing at the royal york
epic is still closed,
I'm about to be stuck there for 8 nights, hoping that room service is better than it was last year
I did get the impression the main floor renos might take up to a year, and that the Library bar would then go, much to the disappointment of many people, including staff.

As I understood it, Epic will not return, it will have a new name and everything.

I can't say anything about room service as we never use it .............. we stayed there on December 16, and ate both dinner and breakfast in the Library Bar. Both were fine, although we had a 20 minute wait for dinner as the Leafs fans were filling the Bar. They all left, and all the diners were seated! The dinner menu was shorter than on previous times we have eaten in there, therefore I assume the main kitchens might also be under renovation.

I assumed they were using the Library Bar kitchen with some things being brought from elsewhere in the building.

If that is the case, then room service might well be slower than in normal circumstances

Last edited by scilly; Feb 13th 2019 at 7:54 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
O& B
Jump
both nice places to eat
These are good recommendations. On the O&B theme I'd recommend Canoe which is just behind the Royal York in the TD tower, another dine with a view from 54th floor... more expensive than 360 but I personally think it's worth it. A little further walk we from your location, we enjoyed The Chase and just around the corner from that is Richmond Station which we love, and is very highly rated on all the review sites (it's a little cosy and nosier than my other recommendations and definitely needs a reservation as far ahead of time as you want to make a reservation.)
Old Feb 18th 2019, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always love Earl's - 150 King St W
Old Feb 18th 2019, 9:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paz7
I always love Earl's - 150 King St W
They do an interesting take on hospital food
Old Feb 18th 2019, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK - decision made. Canoe it is then!
Old Mar 19th 2019, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

As a 'post script'. Went to TO to watch them play Tampa Bay, that's enough about the game!

Wasn't impressed by Royal York, even looking past the reno's. We had a renovated room, which was small and 'so-so'. Best thing about the hotel was the Library Bar, the rest I would leave. Will stay at the Delta next time which we thought was waaaayyyy better.

Good tip about 'Canoe' restaurant. Yes, very pricey, but the view, the service and the food were truly excellent - up in our top 5 restaurants of all time list!
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Next time your in town try this funky spot at 280 Adelaide Street West:

​​​​​​https://www.hooters.to/

You can walk down to the BallRoom after and do some bowling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.